Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please provide opinions on drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please provide opinions on drivetrain noise

Hey everyone, my car has been making a, sort of, howling noise lately. This noise does not exist below 40mph. When I get to about 50 it progressively gets louder until i hit around 70mph. After that it seems to get less and less noticeable. It sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. It doesn't seem like a T-case whine, but then again what do I know lol.

The other day I did a test going about 60mph (when the howling seems loudest). I cut the wheel hard left and the noise got louder. I then cut hard right and it sounded virtually silent. I was thinking rear diff but then started thinking maybe it's a wheel bearing. Unfortunately I don't have any sound clips and its snowing too hard to go out and cut the wheel goin 60 to replicate the condition

Any input anybody could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds just like my car. I have no idea what it is. It's hard to tell where the whining is coming from but mine definitely sounds like it's coming from the back. I prepared myself for a tcase rebuild but after driving for three hours on the highway it got me wondering why it wasn't noticeable after 70mph and yes it starts at 40mph. Let me know if you have it checked out.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:57 AM

Sounds like a wheel bearing. Check the passengers side. Elevate the car and shake the front and rear wheels and see if there is any play.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

my car did the same thing, i isolated the sound to the driver rear hub bearing... replaced it , no more whine... id say that probably your issue by the way you describe the sound/no sound from turning left to right...
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:13 AM

best way to identify a bad wheel bearings is to SAFELY raise the car and drive the wheels at highway speeds.... CAREFULLY grab the suspension springs and feel for excessive vibrations/ differences between the wheels.... IT WORKS

alot of times wheel bearings car be noisy as F*ck and not have any play.............................................. ..... shaking the wheel is NOT the best diagnosis
Old Apr 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The noise in my car doesn't stop if I turn left or right but I have the same symptoms. OP you should go get it checked out and let us know what it is.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:47 PM

RevMoto did you ever find out if it was your wheel bearing? I just checked my drivers rear and it has slop and when I'm doing 60mph on the freeway my car howls like no other I just saved up the money for a t case rebuild but if its just the wheel bearing that would be great. thanks