Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

sparktech igntion problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^thats for two coils, not four.

thanks to everyone who actually had USEFUL and/or RELEVENT information.

as for everyone else that felt the need to pollute this thread, thank you for proving your stupidity and lack of reading comprehension. all i wanted to know was if other people had similar issues and what they did. is that such a hard concept to grasp? apparently so, because what i ended up with was 6pages of useless comments and retardation. its no wonder i dont frequent this site anymore.

thanks again to those who actually offered help/tips.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
So my question to everyone who has fuses popping, how does the power wire feel? Is it brittle? Is the shielding turning white? Hard to bend?
nope ...power wire is still very pliable with no discoloration.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:20 AM
Former Sponsor

This thread is full of accusations/arguments without solutions. Lets have a productive discussion.

Dave this is a pic of the back of the M&W connector of your system. My question is do all of your systems omit pin #8 which is another ground exiting the cdi box? The 2 pins below the grounding pins...pin #1 & 2 12v power into the cdi utilize 2 wires. The M&W diagram shows 2 grounds 20gauge connecting to a 14awg to the battery. I only see 1 18gauge ground on yours.

Here is a pic of the back of our plug

M&W recommends 18-20awg. You use 18awg. How is that twice as big as their recommended wire?

Last edited by SparkTech; Sep 18, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you think that you have a possible short in the system ?

I would try this... check the voltage drop on the grounding wire for the system. You might want to clean up the chassis location where the ground wire goes to. Also, look for any areas in the harness ( on the 12v side ) that could possibly be cut, which consequently would cause a short.

hope that helps
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:29 AM

So did the OP ever figure out the problem? Im curious as to what is causing the fuse to blow...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:36 AM
Former Sponsor

^ According to tracking provided to us by the OP. The system will be back at our facility today. We will test and inspect the system over the weekend. If the cdi needs repair it will go back to the manufacturer M&W Australia. Lets keep in mind as the OP stated this system is about 1.5yrs old. We have never experienced ANY fuse blowing problems with our new systems. A fuse is put in place to protect the system from complete melt down.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep it on topic and civil.

Just went through this one and cleaned all the off topic argumentative posts. Opening back up for those who need support for any associated issues. Just solutions this time around people or infractions will be handed out.

Thank you for your cooperation,
mitsuorder
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

mods thanks for reopening. The OP ended up having a diode fail in the box it was replaced under warranty by M&W. We still utilize the M&W recommended 15amp fuse and have shipped 100's of units since the opening of this thread. We have had a handful of these type's of failure since then and is usually covered under warranty. Installing a higher amperage fuse in this situation could cause unrepairable damage to the mother board.

The 15amp fuse did it's intended job protect the rest of the unit before further damage could occur. That's why a lower amperage fuse is important. I'm not sure if the OP is still an evo owner but we haven't heard from him in a while. Chris if your still around feel free to post.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We are happy to keep informative threads open for the members of this forum. Happy to hear Chris's issues were resolved. Let's keep it all copasetic in the interest of the community

mitsuorder
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

For more info on fuse blowing issue please read post #301 of this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...otline-21.html
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

As I'm a month late from responding to Craig and mitsuorder ..yes the ignition is working perfect, and has been since getting it back. Inconvenience yes, but in the end it worked out awesome. Thank you very much Craig and everyone else at SparkTech.

*edit*
And yes, still have the evo. She's not going anywhere ..too much sentimental value.

Last edited by *chris*; Mar 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by SparkTech
For more info on fuse blowing issue please read post #301 of this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...otline-21.html
Hi there, sparktech

Im prity sure I have the same problem with a system you sent me in NZ i have just installed. started blowing the fuse (15amp) all the time. have checked all the resistance in the wiring harness and they all tested good. . maybe it has a bad diode in the box also, its a long way to send it back to usa.. did one perfect run, then next run failed third run ok 4th run fuse popped again .
pm me please..

kerin