Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new built motor! smokin a little wen cold ???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The ONLY way to break in a motor -- is to drive it like you stole it as soon as safely possible.

Start it up - hold it at 3K - til it hits operating temp. Check for leaks, check oil level.

Some people opt to drain oil right here - and refill. I do not.

I find me some nice open road and beat the living **** outta it. Use the engine to brake - not the brakes. WOT to red line etc. Seat those damn rings in as hard as you ever plan to drive it. What ever you do -- DO NOT just cruise on a highway!!!!

If it was going to come apart -- it would have done so in the 3 mins you spent at 3000rpm warming it up.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
'properly' seat the rings.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things wrong.

You didn't give the motor very much boost to break in on. Driving the car like a grandma and not varying loads with different boost and rpm is a sure way to screw a good motor over with poor ring seal.

Second your break in tune. Having a break-in tune overly rich doesn't allow your motor to warm up properly and washes down the cylinders with too much fuel. The break-in tune should be safe but not blow fuel rich.

A good break-in tune and break-in procedure are key to having a good motor that will last and make good power.

Someone mentioned ring gab, that could very well be off which is why it does it when its cold. Either way good luck with your motor, I'd re-evaluate the way you break-in a motor if you ever do it agian.

Last edited by project_skyline; Oct 26, 2009 at 07:15 PM.