Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red looses punch after 120 mph.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparky - The new GT3 is nice and fast, but a modified Evo with a Red or 35R variant, upgraded suspension / brakes, and strong motor should have no problem spanking the Porsche at most tracks....That said, the GT3 is an amazing production car .
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
... a modified Evo with a Red or 35R variant, upgraded suspension / brakes, and strong motor should have no problem spanking the Porsche at most tracks....
Thanks, cij! It's good to know that the disparity is not that great. I only meant that the Porsche driver probably has his gearing optimized and pupose selected for that particular track.

Valdes just needs to maximize his Evo's setup vis-a-vis matching tranny gear ratios and final drive to the track layout, especially corner exit speeds onto the long straightaway. I am guessing from what he states that his current 5-spd. is not a close ratio box such as the JDM RS box which Robert Fuller suggested to him. Also, he just needs to get his car tuned to run higher boost levels on race gas for track events(30-32#) on his built stroker motor.

Take care

Last edited by sparky; Nov 3, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Sparky,
You are right about my car. As a matter of fact, my laps were 1 second faster than my friends new GT3 , and he was using racing slicks and VP race gas. The track is a 2.5 mile track with a long front stretch. You all hit on the spot , my car is very poorly tuned because I live 10 hours away from the nearest tuner and I just have an email tune. Next week I will meet with my tuner at a dyno in TX and then we will work on more boost plus a couple of maps for racing fuel and meth. After the tune , I will check how it performs and if needed I will add the very close 5th gear that Robispec suggested. I already talked to John as Sheperd and he is ready to help with that new gear at any moment.
I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the good advice.

Originally Posted by sparky
Thanks, cij! It's good to know that the disparity is not that great. I only meant that the Porsche driver probably has his gearing optimized and pupose selected for that particular track.

Valdes just needs to maximize his Evo's setup vis-a-vis matching tranny gear ratios and final drive to the track layout, especially corner exit speeds onto the long straightaway. I am guessing from what he states that his current 5-spd. is not a close ratio box such as the JDM RS box which Robert Fuller suggested to him. Also, he just needs to get his car tuned to run higher boost levels on race gas for track events(30-32#) on his built stroker motor.

Take care
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Sparky,
I forgot to say that I do have the huge Brembo BBK with six piston calipers. It is awsome! Also, I race with Toyo R888 which are pretty good on the track.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by sparky
You need to know your adversary totally. Then you will need to tune and gear your Evo for the specific track that you are running on. The Porsche GT3 weighs in at 3100 Lbs., it has a 3.8 Liter, 6-cylinder engine, and a 6-spd. racing tranny with interchangeable gearsets which can be easily swapped and precisely tailored to any one particular race track.

The Porsche driver can gear his car to redline in 6th gear at 170 mph max at the end of the straightaway. Thus, he sets up his lighter, larger displacement car to reach redline precisely at the end of the straight. Then he relies on his ceramic brakes to stop him.

Let's say that he has his tranny setup to exit the corner leading onto the straightaway at the top of third gear. He then would have three remaining, closely spaced cogs to yank him down the straightaway in his lighter car with the larger displacement engine(almost double the cc's). I doubt that he is actually pushing his car even.

I think that you will need to be running 31# of boost, a BBK(Big Brake Kit), as well as the correct gearing to even start to concern him. Otherwise you will continue to be an insignificant spec in his reareview mirror.