Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What would cause bent a shift fork?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would cause bent a shift fork?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my Exedy twin disk, while I'm at it I will be fixing my second gear issue. So far the potential two things could be the issue: shifter cables binding or bent shift fork. My hunch is on the latter due to the fact that I've the bushing off and still can't seem to be able to shift into second but this was with the trans still in the car so once the trans is off, I can have a better look.

I've seen and read numerous threads about second gear lock out and also potential bent shift fork issue, it seems like its more prominent with twin disk clutches. So what are the major reasons for a bent shift fork? hard shifting? launching?
I would say mine was due to launching on the Exedy near the end of its life. I wanna get an idea of what some of you guys are experiencing.

Also with a bent shift fork, does it require a trans rebuild also?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

A bent shift fork is usually caused by hard shifting... And no, it shouldn't require a complete rebuild unless there is more damage in the trans. May I suggest that you might want to have your trans repaired at a shop....you will most likely need some special tools and press...I've been a tech at a dealership for 10 years and still try to avoid manual trans repair...never a fun job.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JFuego777
A bent shift fork is usually caused by hard shifting... And no, it shouldn't require a complete rebuild unless there is more damage in the trans. May I suggest that you might want to have your trans repaired at a shop....you will most likely need some special tools and press...I've been a tech at a dealership for 10 years and still try to avoid manual trans repair...never a fun job.
Actually I'm not doing the trans at all. I am pretty technical with working on cars but trans is something I have no experience at all and have no interest in fixing myself. I was told by a mechanic from a dealership my friend work at and he told if its a bent fork, I HAVE to rebuild the trans.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Isn't the shift fork cast iron?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

The trans would have to come apart, but you probably wouldn't need any new bearings, synchros, etc unless you are having other issues...and I would hope the shift forks aren't cast iron...most likely steel.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I am pretty certain it just need a new fork, I was able to get into second every so often and it never grind or made any sound when it got in.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:33 AM

i know this is a old thread, but did you ever resolve your issue? i think i may be having the same exact issue. I can get it into gear occasionally, but not all the time
Old Feb 20, 2016, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having the same proble. i cant get into 3rd or 4th at all. what happened with this?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello