Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bc 272 cams any good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adcgn45
what exactly makes them not as good? i mean its a piece of metal ground into shapes.lol if the specs are the same then what?
lol clearly you haven't been doing your research.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leonevox
i quess u already bought bc 272. Please re sale it and bought some gsc s2. brian crower sound horrible at idle, loping not consistent at all. Go on youtube and check out gsc and kelford. You will love them.
if you buy cams based on sound you should no be giving advice lol

the BC cams have a 272 duration but almost stock lift,same with the HKS brand 272s so there are more powerful cams out there,if you dont want to upgrade springs and retainers i would suggest the HKS 280 cams

ive had 4 different sets of cams in my VIII,but i stuck with the Revolver cams 262/264 11.8mm lift and the MEANEST lope on the market

those new grind s2s seem badass as well
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOEuro
if you buy cams based on sound you should no be giving advice lol

the BC cams have a 272 duration but almost stock lift,same with the HKS brand 272s so there are more powerful cams out there,if you dont want to upgrade springs and retainers i would suggest the HKS 280 cams

ive had 4 different sets of cams in my VIII,but i stuck with the Revolver cams 262/264 11.8mm lift and the MEANEST lope on the market

those new grind s2s seem badass as well
let see if OP wanted sound or power. Usually cams that sound awesome are making power my friend. I had been using kelford,gsc, bc, hks, revolver and cosworth on evos 8 -10 too thank YOU. Not counting numerous road and dyno test
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leonevox
let see if OP wanted sound or power. Usually cams that sound awesome are making power my friend. I had been using kelford,gsc, bc, hks, revolver and cosworth on evos 8 -10 too thank YOU. Not counting numerous road and dyno test
you can change ther sound of cams with tuning and degreeing

my COMP CAMS sounded mean,but didnt make as much power as my quieter s2s
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered my gsc s1's. Is anyone running them in this thread? If so how is the idle. I love the lope sound. Do the s1's have a decent lope? I know they are no s2's or 280's, but I would like to know.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
I just ordered my gsc s1's. Is anyone running them in this thread? If so how is the idle. I love the lope sound. Do the s1's have a decent lope? I know they are no s2's or 280's, but I would like to know.
heard s1 sound like stock. Some people wanted performance cams with stock lope&sound, i have no idea Why
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

yes actually id prefer not to hear or feel the lope. its somewhat obnoxious after a while ,like a bov is real cool when you first hear it then its annoying
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

yes actually id prefer not to hear or feel the lope. its somewhat obnoxious after a while ,like a bov is real cool when you first hear it then its annoying

in that case, just stick with stock cams. Any performance cams would have atleast lil lope . Heard stock evo 9 cams works pretty good, no need to change.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

well im willing to live with the lope. id rather have performance.i can live with it. i just dont really like the sound of a japanese 4 cylinder regardless of what u do
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had them on my 8 for 20k miles or so...they did good, not great, not as great as S2's or Kelford 272's (which I have now) but they did pretty good and I got them for about half the cost. If you want a very very very mild 272 then I say they're fine. I never had any issues nor heard any such as snapping or anything like some of the other bigger brands but they also don't make the power. I think all those breaking issues were resolved anyway
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well im willing to live with the lope. id rather have performance.i can live with it. i just dont really like the sound of a japanese 4 cylinder regardless of what u do
When why did you buy a Japanese 4 cylinder?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I am surprised people on this forum say HKS 272 suck... I have them in mine, they perform and sound fine.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MyEvo8Urs
I am surprised people on this forum say HKS 272 suck... I have them in mine, they perform and sound fine.
They don't suck there are just much better cams on the market today that make more power without sacrifice
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
They don't suck there are just much better cams on the market today that make more power without sacrifice
I suppose this is a better answer
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

The lope of a cam is almost completely dependent on the tune.. You can tune the lope out of just about every cam to make it sound nearly factory.

I have BC 272s in my car and I love the way they sound.. I actually have the lopiest cams out of all the local guys and the rest of them are running Kelfords that have nearly no lope, but again it's probably just because they were tuned that way. I'm also faster ; P lol.

IMO BC cams are good if you're doing AutoX/Road Racing because they seem to respond very quickly, make good downlow power, and because of the gradual ramp rate they're easy on your stock valvetrain, whereas the Kelford 272s are much more aggressive. The Kelfords should make more power but you can probably pick up a set of BC 272s for like $200 *cough* MINE! *cough* lol. When I was on just basic bolt ons and stock evo8 turbo I loved how much quicker my car felt after I installed the BC cams. After a little bit of tuning they were great. When I bought them though I was under the impression that they were one of the better cams to get on the market.. But now if you're just going for peak horsepower numbers Kelfords/GSC seem to be the way to go on stock frame turbos.

Quick Reply: bc 272 cams any good?