Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.1 destroked or 2.4 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suicidevo
awd has a built 2.1 that i just bought today. they didnt build it but it is brand new. i like the idea of the 2.1 cause of what it can rev to, which is 9k if you wanted.. it spools later then the 2.4 but it revvs higher so its the same just the rmp range is moved over a few hundred. and i heard the 2.4 is weaker
Originally Posted by Midnightevo8
So do you think the 2.1 would be a better motor for a dd?

WOW i never seen so much bad information about the 2.4. The 2.4 is a perfectly fine motor that does not have reiblity issues that several of you pointed out. yes it will spool 300-400 rpms sooner then a 2.1 can dream of. you should not really rev a 2.4 pass 8200 rpms. There is not a need to go that high as you will generate so much power and tq before then its not required. now if you get a LR2.4 you can rev even higher will not make more power. Yes the 2.1 can rev to like 9000-10000 rpms with correct setup BUT ON THE STREET?? you will never get that far unless your on sucide watch or doing illegal street racing on a open road. hence meaning for a better over all street car the 2.3-2.4 is king you will generate tons of power quickly and beable to put it down on the street and track and handle DD duty effiecently. NOW the 2.1 is perfect for a DRAG only/track car because you will beable to rev that high at the track. Also the 2.1 is perfectly fine for DD as well but if you are going to knock the 2.4 OK but dont give misinformation to make it seem LIKE ITS INFERIOR and the 2.1 is the more Superior motor . There are several of us on 2.4 making stupid crazy number handling DD action track duty auto course and Grocery getter.

Blkcarbonevo
yahu
Drewdog
Broham
Earthen
Rougeevo6
Johnnysti(i think)
John Bradley
Map Preformce own car
Lancer06(soon)
Me
Nickdanny

Just to name a few. Ask Mike@awd that set some nice records with a 2.4 in DRAG or English Racing they will tell you a 2.4 is a BOSS motor and reibility is in the hands of the User treat your car with care and things work out fine

Last edited by RockmanX; Oct 25, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having MAP do my 2.1L
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^What rockman said

I'd much rather have a torquey powerband for the street than one that rev's to 10K!

Last edited by KX250Fmotoracer; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by RockmanX
WOW i never seen so much bad information about the 2.4. The 2.4 is a perfectly fine motor that does not have reiblity issues that several of you pointed out. yes it will spool 300-400 rpms sooner then a 2.1 can dream of. you should not really rev a 2.4 pass 8200 rpms. There is not a need to go that high as you will generate so much power and tq before then its not required. now if you get a LR2.4 you can rev even higher will not make more power. Yes the 2.1 can rev to like 9000-10000 rpms with correct setup BUT ON THE STREET?? you will never get that far unless your on sucide watch or doing illegal street racing on a open road. hence meaning for a better over all street car the 2.3-2.4 is king you will generate tons of power quickly and beable to put it down on the street and track and handle DD duty effiecently. NOW the 2.1 is perfect for a DRAG only/track car because you will beable to rev that high at the track. Also the 2.1 is perfectly fine for DD as well but if you are going to knock the 2.4 OK but dont give misinformation to make it seem LIKE ITS INFERIOR and the 2.1 is the more Superior motor . There are several of us on 2.4 making stupid crazy number handling DD action track duty auto course and Grocery getter.

Blkcarbonevo
yahu
Drewdog
Broham
Earthen
Rougeevo6
Johnnysti(i think)
John Bradley
Map Preformce own car
Lancer06(soon)
Me
Nickdanny

Just to name a few. Ask Mike@awd that set some nice records with a 2.4 in DRAG or English Racing they will tell you a 2.4 is a BOSS motor and reibility is in the hands of the User treat your car with care and things work out fine
Thanks for your advice....It seems that the better motor is in the eye of the beholder. I will say that I do street race alot. Mostly Roll races due to the fact that noone will play with me from a dig...AWD FTW. I have never really did any track racing except for once when I played around on a autocross/road course that a group of people just threw together. I usually go to the drag track about once a month during the season and also compete in import faceoff. So would the 2.4 be practical for drag racing as well? Remember Im not strictly using the car as a drag car but when I do any type of racing its usually all drag or roll racing.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:47 AM

okay so i went to go pay for the 2.1 at awd today and i talked to mike and diiirek for a little while and i ended up buying a bushur 2.4 you cant rev as high but you spool faster.. what got me is the 2.4 will make around 620hp on the black with around 25-30lbs of boost while the 2.1 will make 620 on 40lbs it has better tq and makes amazing power. id say go 2.4 if your DD
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by suicidevo
okay so i went to go pay for the 2.1 at awd today and i talked to mike and diiirek for a little while and i ended up buying a bushur 2.4 you cant rev as high but you spool faster.. what got me is the 2.4 will make around 620hp on the black with around 25-30lbs of boost while the 2.1 will make 620 on 40lbs it has better tq and makes amazing power. id say go 2.4 if your DD
didnt i just say that in my long post Facts help and knowing is half the battle LOL
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your advice....It seems that the better motor is in the eye of the beholder. I will say that I do street race alot. Mostly Roll races due to the fact that noone will play with me from a dig...AWD FTW. I have never really did any track racing except for once when I played around on a autocross/road course that a group of people just threw together. I usually go to the drag track about once a month during the season and also compete in import faceoff. So would the 2.4 be practical for drag racing as well? Remember Im not strictly using the car as a drag car but when I do any type of racing its usually all drag or roll racing.
2.4 ALL DAY BOSS PERIOD the topic is over 2.4 can do it all MIKE set the fp black record with a 2.4 9.33 come on man how much fast you want to go if lower then yes 2.1 but prepare to do some serious weight savings but highly not worth it if DD

SO AGAIN 2...........................4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha Rockman you seem to beat me to every one of these threads Thanks to miragevo for the recommendation! We recently had our connecting rods made in a 156mm length so we can accommodate both the 2.1L and long rod 2.4L builds, they are all the rage these days. In regards to deciding between the two the 2.1L will rev higher, but will you utilize it? The 2.4L benefits from additional displacement and as such will make more power at a lower RPM and with less boost than a smaller displacement alternative.

OP: Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any further questions or concerns, I would love to help you out
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:31 AM

2.4 ALL DAY BOSS PERIOD the topic is over 2.4 can do it all MIKE set the fp black record with a 2.4 9.33 come on man how much fast you want to go if lower then yes 2.1 but prepare to do some serious weight savings but highly not worth it if DD

SO AGAIN 2...........................4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
I noticed that you run the 2.4 How long have you been running your setup and how many miles have you put on it. Also, what type of driving do you do? Is it your DD? Another question was rod/piston combination. I know I want Manley I-Beam Rods and I think I will probably go with the 1400HD pistons from with 9.7:1 compression ratio. Any pistons better than these?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah yes I forgot Wiseco now makes 9.7:1 and 10.5:1 HD pistons in 87mm bore as shelf stock per our request
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Haha Rockman you seem to beat me to every one of these threads Thanks to miragevo for the recommendation! We recently had our connecting rods made in a 156mm length so we can accommodate both the 2.1L and long rod 2.4L builds, they are all the rage these days. In regards to deciding between the two the 2.1L will rev higher, but will you utilize it? The 2.4L benefits from additional displacement and as such will make more power at a lower RPM and with less boost than a smaller displacement alternative.

OP: Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any further questions or concerns, I would love to help you out

Chris, I will be hitting you up in the future for a set of these 156mm rods.
Do you happen to know the exact weight on the 156mm rods?
I'll also be picking up a set of the 9.7:1 Wiseco pistons.

Last edited by miragevo; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2.3 not a 2.4 but I have to say stroke it, I'm sure Rock would agree with me on that. If your driving it as a DD then that extra low end makes driving so much more fun. Who wants to wind a motor out to ring power outta it.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Ah yes I forgot Wiseco now makes 9.7:1 and 10.5:1 HD pistons in 87mm bore as shelf stock per our request

Chris, Wiseco's catalog shows the 1400hd 9.7:1 piston in the K626, but not in the stroker design K627. You will need the pin shifted up 6mm to run your 156mm rod in a 2.4 Long Rod motor.....I know you knew this already, but was just clarifiying. Can you give a few more details and a link to the part you're selling?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:40 PM

didnt i just say that in my long post Facts help and knowing is half the battle LOL

well thank you for the help i didnt know much about the 2.4 to begin with i hope ill be happy with it
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed that you run the 2.4 How long have you been running your setup and how many miles have you put on it. Also, what type of driving do you do? Is it your DD? Another question was rod/piston combination. I know I want Manley I-Beam Rods and I think I will probably go with the 1400HD pistons from with 9.7:1 compression ratio. Any pistons better than these?
I have put zero miles on mine kind of a special build I have going on. My car is 7 hours away from me getting fully built and tuned. JMS has put 580 miles on
my car for break in and they love the 2.4/fp black setup. Click on video in my sig if you wanna hear my 2.4 rumble

Quick Reply: 2.1 destroked or 2.4 stroker?