Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.1 destroked or 2.4 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.1 destroked or 2.4 stroker?

Recently I threw a rod in my 05' VIII. It did manage to smack a hole in the side of the block and Im assuming that the crank is going to be shot as well. So what I'm asking is for my situation which build should I go with. I currently have a 64mm FP Red and will be running mostly on E85 because in Missouri where Im from it is abundant and RARELY would I be switching to a 91 octane tune. I will be using a 4g64 block because I already have possesion of a block with matching caps but dont have a crank. I'm leaning towards the 2.1 because what I've read it has the best Rod Ratio vs all the other stroker builds and was told that the 2.1 would be the most reliable

Based on these factors which build/what compression pistons should I go with?

I need something that I can beat on but at the same time be reliable as well. I will also be daily driving and street/drag racing the car. 99% of the time I will be on E-85 which switches to E-70 in the winter. I'm Currently running the red but since the motor will be built I will eventually consider someday possibly upgrading to the FP Black. I aprecciate everyones advice and am open to any opinions. Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm doing a 2.1 too they last longer
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:26 PM

well i have an fp black now on stock motor and e85 but im getting a 2.1 built motor within the next few days.. so well see how that goes..
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2.4 Stroker

Map sells their standard version of Howards Rods at a "custom length of 156mm". These would work perfectly in the 4G64. Talk to Kyle at Map...he helped design these rods and is one of the guys responsible for their Stock ECU 4G64 Evo putting out 1053awhp. I had an extensive conversation about these rods a few days ago. You need to call Wiseco and tell them you want a 9.5:1 compression version of their standard 1400HD Stroker piston part # K627M85. The custom piston would hypothetically have a new part # K627M87...which would be an 87mm bore and you specify that you want it bumped up from 9.0:1 to a 9.5:1 version. I think with this combo you'd be safe to 1000+ hp and is the best solution for the money....Call MAP.

Map-Howards Rods Link: Ask for Nick in sales

http://www.maperformance.com/maperfo...-5900mit7.html

Wiseco 1400HD pistons Link: Scroll to the bottom of the page

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Sport.../MiniMitsu.pdf

Michael
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by miragevo
Map sells their standard version of Howards Rods at a "custom length of 156mm". These would work perfectly in the 4G64. Talk to Kyle at Map...he helped design these rods and is one of the guys responsible for their Stock ECU 4G64 Evo putting out 1053awhp. I had an extensive conversation about these rods a few days ago. You need to call Wiseco and tell them you want a 9.5:1 compression version of their standard 1400HD Stroker piston part # K627M85. The custom piston would hypothetically have a new part # K627M87...which would be an 87mm bore and you specify that you want it bumped up from 9.0:1 to a 9.5:1 version. I think with this combo you'd be safe to 1000+ hp and is the best solution for the money....Call MAP.

Map-Howards Rods Link: Ask for Nick in sales

http://www.maperformance.com/maperfo...-5900mit7.html

Wiseco 1400HD pistons Link: Scroll to the bottom of the page

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Sport.../MiniMitsu.pdf

Michael
Thanks, Ill definitley give them a call......I talked to Buschur and they recommended that I go with 10:1 compression pistons. Do you think that is too high? I'll be on E-85 most of the time but like I said I will switch occasionaly to 91 octane.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by suicidevo
well i have an fp black now on stock motor and e85 but im getting a 2.1 built motor within the next few days.. so well see how that goes..
That's awesome. Did you order a shortblock or are you having the motor built by someone?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the idea of the 2.1 but I feel that I will not be revving it high enough to make one practical for me. I also have a FP Red and plan to have it rebuilt into a FP Black at the same time I get my motor built (once I can afford it). I am leaning toward a 2.4l because the black will run out of breath about the same time the 2.4l runs out of rpm. Seems like a good all around setup. Plenty of torque and hp.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Midnightevo8
Thanks, Ill definitley give them a call......I talked to Buschur and they recommended that I go with 10:1 compression pistons. Do you think that is too high? I'll be on E-85 most of the time but like I said I will switch occasionaly to 91 octane.

I'd do 10:1 if I planned to be on E85 all of the time...otherwise 9.5:1 is an excellent happy medium for mostly being run on E85. 9.5:1 would be acceptable on 91 octane with slightly lower boost threshold if need be.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
I like the idea of the 2.1 but I feel that I will not be revving it high enough to make one practical for me. I also have a FP Red and plan to have it rebuilt into a FP Black at the same time I get my motor built (once I can afford it). I am leaning toward a 2.4l because the black will run out of breath about the same time the 2.4l runs out of rpm. Seems like a good all around setup. Plenty of torque and hp.
I totally agree and am planning on doing the same thing.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by mt057
Yea I was thinking the same thing....But I also thought that since my current redline on my stock motor was somewhere around 7800 rpm and people say that you can rev the 2.1 to the moon which is awesome but even if you were only reving it to like for example 8500 wouldnt the 2.1 be just as efficent on power making if not make a little more power than the stock motor at 7800?

Last edited by Midnightevo8; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:16 PM

Also, from what I have been told by the experts the 2.4 will only spool roughly 4-500 rpm quicker than the standard 2.0. If this is true than the 2.1 seems like it has more pros than the 2.4. Remember ultimately i'm going for reliability as the main concern. I mean this car is my DD I drive it everywhere. I have another vehicle but I usually drive anywhere from 750-1000 miles in a month especially during the warm months as I go to a lot of meets and cruises.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Midnightevo8
That's awesome. Did you order a shortblock or are you having the motor built by someone?

awd has a built 2.1 that i just bought today. they didnt build it but it is brand new. i like the idea of the 2.1 cause of what it can rev to, which is 9k if you wanted.. it spools later then the 2.4 but it revvs higher so its the same just the rmp range is moved over a few hundred. and i heard the 2.4 is weaker
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:54 AM

I'm still unsure....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by suicidevo
awd has a built 2.1 that i just bought today. they didnt build it but it is brand new. i like the idea of the 2.1 cause of what it can rev to, which is 9k if you wanted.. it spools later then the 2.4 but it revvs higher so its the same just the rmp range is moved over a few hundred. and i heard the 2.4 is weaker
So do you think the 2.1 would be a better motor for a dd?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

i personally like 2.1 better more rev

Quick Reply: 2.1 destroked or 2.4 stroker?