Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin, Awful Drivetrain Noise (probably bad TOB). Video Inside.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin, Awful Drivetrain Noise (probably bad TOB). Video Inside.

Hey folks,

Just looking for some confirmation on my assumption that my TOB crapped out. Car sat for 4 weeks while I sent the headlights and taillights to Evo Dave (which look great). Turn the car back on, and I notice the following (which you can hear in the video):

-Awful sound on startup coming from transmission (obviously the clutch is pressed to the floor for startup)
-with clutch pedal UP (not on it at all) there is no noise, though when i'm driving it sometimes makes a whine
-When the clutch pedal is down, you'll hear the whine sound in the video. THe whine comes on and off in the video because I'm making the clutch pedal go down and up.

I'm pretty certain its the TOB. Car has lots of HPDE time on it (9 days in total so far)

Car has an Exedy Twin, Exedy TOB (probably why its the problem), Shep 5spd. Clutch, TOB has roughly 8k miles, trans has 20k.

Thanks for your input.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30158997@N06/5233609096/

*edit* Thought I would mention that the car runs/drives perfect. No difference in shifting, etc.

**edit x2** Fixed. See last post.

Thanks!

Last edited by Solo II Evo; Dec 5, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Video doesnt work but from your description it does sound like the throw out bearing. Did you replace it when you had trans done?

Edit it works now.

Did you drive it at all since. Maybe a little drive will loosen up the tob and get rid of the noise

Last edited by wizzo 8; Dec 4, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I had the trans done @63k miles, did the Twin Disc at 75k, car now has 83k. I did the TOB/Clutch together.

When I first took the car out this morning to work on our LeMons car (86 Chevette, lol) it didn't make a single bad noise. It was on the way home from his house when I noticed it.

At startup, it sounds awful. Then once its on, the car makes that high-pitched whining sound.. I hope its not the input shaft bearings. That would suck.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well its either the tob or the input shaft bearing. Either way to find which one the trans would have to be pulled. My guess would be the tob. If its the input shaft bearing maybe shep will warranty it for you.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'll pull the inspection cover off in the morning, but how do I rule out TOB vs. Input Shaft Bearing? Is there something obvious that I'd look for? I'll start the tear down but just curious what will tell me the problem is.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna say its the TOB because when you depress the clutch the noise occurs but when the clutch is up there is no noise. I had a similar problem but the reverse of the problem you have no on another car and it ended up being the input shaft bearing.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo II Evo
I'll pull the inspection cover off in the morning, but how do I rule out TOB vs. Input Shaft Bearing? Is there something obvious that I'd look for? I'll start the tear down but just curious what will tell me the problem is.

Thanks!
Pulling the trans and spin the bearing by had to feel for any roughness. My be visual signs also like bluing.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8

Did you drive it at all since. Maybe a little drive will loosen up the tob and get rid of the noise
Jeff,

I would try this before tearing everything down, especially if the car sat for a month.

John
Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Found the problem. Starter was loose.. don't ask me how. The case of the starter got caught up on the teeth of the flywheel which was producing that noise. Luckily, no real damage as I didn't drive it far at all. I guess 9 track days gets things hot and backs bolts out? Torque on that bolt is spec'ed at only ~30ft lbs if I remember.

anyways, put some blue loctite on, tightened it back up, and she's good to go.

Thanks for your input guys.