Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
I believe I have also seen guys disable the front wheels at the drag strip to do a burnout with just the rear wheels.. I guess they don't like to do that for prolonged periods of time for a dyno?
I can imagine that may be a safety concern as well.
Since you asked, lol...

I have the ability to electronically disengage the FWD/ETS with a box made by Syvecs (not to be confused with a full standalone Syvecs ECU also used on some GTRs) and do a burnout. The problem is that the ETS still has a bit of mechanical preload that seems to vary from car to car, and some (many?) have damaged their ETS doing a burnout requiring a rebuild. Jack's Transmissions who built my motor and transmission has a modification available for the ETS which changes the ETS to remove the mechanical preload. I originally had my car setup with it, but an unrelated issue required that I swap my trans for another to avoid downtime, so I have an unmodified ETS now. I've done a few burnouts crossing my fingers and have had no issues with my car.

Theoretically, if the front wheels were allowed to roll freely with the Syvecs box engaged on an unmodified ETS, I think one could dyno in RWD mode; however, if one attempted to dyno in RWD mode and strapped down the front wheels as would normally be done on a RWD dyno, the ETS would almost certainly be destroyed within seconds.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL @ this guy hacking on "the competitions" products without any real justification? Cant handle a bit of competition from a superior product Mr CB? With all due respect to yourself these manifolds are on the worlds fastest time attack cars how many of your products are on the tilton Evo or the Scorch S15 just to name a few?
If you've done some casting yourself you would know the costs involved in making the tooling to cast a whole manifold?
So it doesn't really make much sense casting a whole manifold when you will need to sell 30 manifolds to recoup costs to make them?
The investment cast 347 pipe and fittings hypertune have designed are brilliant! Its to their own unique size and thickness so its alot lighter than SCH40 and far superior in heat resistance to 304. So sure the off the shelf 304 will do the job but why not have a superior material like 347? The costs to buy this stuff is probably alot cheaper than you think also. Also casting your own collectors gives you absolutely no design restraints in terms of design so if you can think of it you can make it!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

The manifold fossil Aus posted is a prototype i made using hypertunes "D.I.Y Kit" this is the 1st manifold ive ever made and had a blast making & designing my own
Ive still gotta position my gates yet but this is the manifold all welded up minus the gates!
My aim with design was not to make the runners as short as possible but to make them as sweeping as possible with long radius bends and shallow angles. Be kind as im a rookie manifold maker with alot to learn just yet. But hope you like the pics

Old Sep 29, 2015, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mick_O
LOL @ this guy hacking on "the competitions" products without any real justification? Cant handle a bit of competition from a superior product Mr CB? With all due respect to yourself these manifolds are on the worlds fastest time attack cars how many of your products are on the tilton Evo or the Scorch S15 just to name a few?
If you've done some casting yourself you would know the costs involved in making the tooling to cast a whole manifold?
So it doesn't really make much sense casting a whole manifold when you will need to sell 30 manifolds to recoup costs to make them?
The investment cast 347 pipe and fittings hypertune have designed are brilliant! Its to their own unique size and thickness so its alot lighter than SCH40 and far superior in heat resistance to 304. So sure the off the shelf 304 will do the job but why not have a superior material like 347? The costs to buy this stuff is probably alot cheaper than you think also. Also casting your own collectors gives you absolutely no design restraints in terms of design so if you can think of it you can make it!
We have cast an inconel exhaust manifold for the gtr 7163 kit- so I am well aware-

I was simply responding to the "steam pipe" comment

We have been 304SS for 90% of our applications (as have most other companies on this forum) since 2007, without issue- we can always build things out of 321/347/inconel but the price tends to be cost prohibitive
for consumption in most of the niches. There is usually a handful of people willing to pay for it- but its very rare-

cb
Old Sep 29, 2015, 08:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FossilAus
The individual parts are available for sale, all the hard work has been done for you, why not shoot Pete @ Hyper an email and see for yourself why they use it?

Your kits are called 'RBX' (Racing Bred) but not recommended for motorsport??
I didnt say they are not recommended for motorsport lol-

simply saying if you take metallurgy and temps into account- the temp range we put the manifolds through in a motorsport application exceeds most non inconel SS metals- however its done without
failure etc in most cases- again was simply responding to the comment

It's nice to see people taking different approaches- The more information on these turbos/packages- the better!

cb
Old Sep 30, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts
Name:  20150930_122054.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  325.9 KB

started on the manifold.. those long exhaust housings on the IWG T4's are tricky to package..
Old Sep 30, 2015, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting stuff on the hypertune parts.

I'm in agreement though, pipe really doesn't offer the best ID for most EVO applications. The 1-1/4" schedule 10 is too small, 1-1/2" schedule 40 is about right but just extra weight, 1-1/2" schedule 10 is too big ID.

Cast 347 collector and head flange is awesome.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Sep 30, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

347 is superior to that of 321 in this application. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to go through the exhaustive process of tooling up for 347 flange & collectors only to use 321 runners (which isn't available in the required dia or wall). If it was available (which it isn't), it may be cheaper but it would also be a shortcut (and when you're supplying products at the pointy end of the market there are no compromises)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

the question is what do you consider ideal ID... I have gone with keeping the original exhaust port cross section... and that is a LARGE ID..

From what I have seen I dont like the flange transition to round tube on the hypertune, but am hoping you get great results with it...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Runner diameter is is 44.45mm w/ 2.7mm wall. The same runner used on Tilton and Scorch manifolds (both making near 1,000whp for this years WTAC). Not the biggest runner out there but it works (and works damn well). I could ask Pete why/how they came to this particular runner size but it would all be in vain, there will never be any pleasing the EvoM E-Engineers...

^^ your manifold looks nice btw, keen to see how it all fits (don't see too many IWG configurations)

Last edited by FossilAus; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FossilAus
Runner diameter is is 44.45mm w/ 2.7mm wall. The same runner used on Tilton and Scorch manifolds (both making near 1,000whp for this years WTAC). Not the biggest runner out there but it works (and works damn well). I could ask Pete why/how they came to this particular runner size but it would all be in vain, there will never be any pleasing the EvoM E-Engineers...

^^ your manifold looks nice btw, keen to see how it all fits (don't see too many IWG configurations)
ha, my manifold is the same internal dia..

I came up with it by trying to have the same runner cross section area as the exhaust port... also T4 inlet is slightly larger than the evo exhaust port so I saw no point in having a runner that is significantly smaller than the exhaust port... transitions are the killer..

I will have the runners ovalized on the head flange to have the best transition possible..

keep up posted on the results.. will be interesting to compare. I got a turbo RPM logging setup too, as well as backpressure.. all on stock ECU... in fact there is a AUS company that can sell you this kit although I think I have the first one..
Old Oct 1, 2015, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
the question is what do you consider ideal ID... I have gone with keeping the original exhaust port cross section... and that is a LARGE ID..

From what I have seen I dont like the flange transition to round tube on the hypertune, but am hoping you get great results with it...
Whats not to like about the flange transition? Just finished porting mine and finalizing the gate positions today.

This is how each port looks

Gate on this side comes straight off the merge. I plan to run the gate line in around behind the turbo.

Old Oct 1, 2015, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know anything about 8's or 9's, but that runner looks like it's way too close to the valve cover.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

It is close but pic makes it look worse than it is. Theres about 6mm between them. Manifold is being wrapped so shouldn't be an issue. As i said this is my 1st attempt so maybe a design flaw. But its done now and CBF changing it lol. I just wanna get this thing on the road!
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
I don't know anything about 8's or 9's, but that runner looks like it's way too close to the valve cover.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mick_O
Whats not to like about the flange transition? Just finished porting mine and finalizing the gate positions today.

you are right.. it is good. I must have mixed up some flange pics from before.. sorry.

MAnifold looks ace, but that runner is really close..

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread