Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX
I just want to address something you mentioned. The issue I have with Garrrett GTX turbos currently is they are still on an "outdated" (by current standards) turbine wheel design on the GTX turbos.

However, I cannot say I have personally had first hand experience with any GTX turbos, but coming from the GT series, I went straight to the EFR series turbos citing (the outdated turbine wheels) as my reasoning.
[/COLOR][/B]
The UHP turbine wheel designed used on the Garrett GT30-35s may be old, but I would not say outdated. In back-to-back testing, they had better turbine efficiency than the nearest equivalent BW EFR (6758, 7670, 8374, 9180).

I will say the 7163 is the standout in the EFR lineup. I have not seen gas stand data for it, but I suspect it has significantly better turbine efficiency than the design of turbine wheel in the rest of the EFR lineup.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
So the irony behind this was the failures were not wide spread and was mostly centralized to the early production 62/6758 turbos. It ended up being a manufacturer material supplier issue and they have since changed manufacturers and have had close to 0 unprompted turbo failures (read: overspeed for instance).
I will start by saying the EFR lineup is quite reliable now. The only one that is not terribly reliable is the 9180 which I suspect is due to high cycle fatigue issues with the 80mm turbine wheel. Hence, the 9174 to replace it.

But when the EFR first came out and was in development, it had an extremely high failure rate. I know one company who had all 10 of their units chuck the turbine wheel out the exhaust. I personally had one break off the turbine wheel with only a few hours use. But that's the risk in developing a relatively little used technology. Only MHI had really used TiAl up to that point and they had many failures too.

Again, they are quite reliable now from observation.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
Spool should be quicker with the 7064 over the 7163 because of the smaller compressor (inducer mainly) and larger exhaust wheel.
The MLR guys are loving the 7064 over the 7163 turbo.
but none run them on an evo..
Old Aug 2, 2016, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
but none run them on an evo..
I just read through that thread on MLR...makes me want to test both the 7163 and 7064
Old Aug 2, 2016, 07:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Brianawd
Well it was not my day today. Had some fuel issues and a Diverter valve. issue.
It seems my brand new aeromotive 340 e85 pump is almost dead causing a lean issue
Then my diverter valve decided to turn its self into a bov by blowing it's self off the car.
Car did manage to do 450/420 at 24psi with no timing and running stupid lean before we let off. Going back Friday after I get the issues fixed.
Bummer. BTW, are you what are your power goals and what is your fuel setup? My personal experience is that none of the drop-in replacements add much capacity until upgrading the supply line to at least -6 AN.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
If I remember right, I was following some of your old posts in that the bigger pump (Aeromotive 340 over Walbro 255) would have more capacity at higher pump pressures to overcome head loss in the stock lines. So that would be needed to keep correct pressure of base + boost at the injectors. Alternatively people have run massive injectors to flow more volume at lower pressure which is of course less idea and probably inconsistent.

My car in particular went from ~100% duty cycle to ~85% duty cycle switching from 255 to 340.

I know Brian as an aftermarket fuel rail which is suppose to be a restriction at about 500hp but is on stock fuel lines.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
dont forget that the stock fuel filter is also a restriction..
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
Lol, only filter on an Evo is the sock at the inlet of the fuel pump.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bolted for truth. I think the only option right now is to wait for the 7163 EFR from the indy cars to start showing up to purchase to get the EWG option. However, BW does not sell the compressor housing separate so you will have to run the non CRV housing and just run an external BOV. Simple enough to accomplish!
Why not just run the external gate v-band housing that is currently available? It looses very little spool to the T4 version, and makes more top end with better wastegate control. Not sure why people are whining about housing size when there is this option.

Indycar turbine housings are just a larger version of the same design.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RWD4G63
Why not just run the external gate v-band housing that is currently available? It looses very little spool to the T4 version, and makes more top end with better wastegate control. Not sure why people are whining about housing size when there is this option.

Indycar turbine housings are just a larger version of the same design.
Because it is NOT twin scroll.......which is the trajectory or premise behind the discussion.

And from testing, the area under the curve is greatly increased going from a single scroll v band to a twin scroll T4 housing and associated manifold. Testing has revealed upwards of 40-60 WHP and similar ft lbs until about 3800 RPM over a similar V-band setup. That right there in itself is worth the headache, especially if one uses his/her car for more than a highway pull.

Last edited by RalliartRsX; Aug 2, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Why not just run the external gate v-band housing that is currently available? It looses very little spool to the T4 version..
I guess it comes down to your definition of "very little". CBRD confirmed what we already knew, TS spools faster http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323417
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
If I remember right, I was following some of your old posts in that the bigger pump (Aeromotive 340 over Walbro 255) would have more capacity at higher pump pressures to overcome head loss in the stock lines. So that would be needed to keep correct pressure of base + boost at the injectors. Alternatively people have run massive injectors to flow more volume at lower pressure which is of course less idea and probably inconsistent.

My car in particular went from ~100% duty cycle to ~85% duty cycle switching from 255 to 340.

I know Brian as an aftermarket fuel rail which is suppose to be a restriction at about 500hp but is on stock fuel lines.
None the higher flow pumps available at that time, Aeromotive, DeatchWerks, W400 (non-E85 older) were able to provide any more fuel than a punched W255. This was on an otherwise 100% stock supply system including wiring. The issue is that the restriction from the fuel supply line causes so much additional pressure at the pump that the pressure relief valve in the pump activates. I think the new HP W450 (E85 version) could actually supply more fuel in a drop-in application. However, I think the amp draw would be enough to toast the fuel pump fuse and substantially heat up the factory wiring.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Lol, only filter on an Evo is the sock at the inlet of the fuel pump.
There is a cellulose filter built into the fuel pump carrier. kiki is surely right in that it adds a fair amount of additional pressure head at the pump.

Last edited by mrfred; Aug 2, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Because it is NOT twin scroll.......which is the trajectory or premise behind the discussion.

And from testing, the area under the curve is greatly increased going from a single scroll v band to a twin scroll T4 housing and associated manifold. Testing has revealed upwards of 40-60 WHP and similar ft lbs until about 3800 RPM over a similar V-band setup. That right there in itself is worth the headache, especially if one uses his/her car for more than a highway pull.
Yeah but you're talking about Indycar turbos like they are the answer. They are non-divided v-band housings, and if you're looking to push the 7163 to the max, you're going to have to use the v-band. Sure a larger T4 divided housing might provide a couple hundred rpm advantage, but it's really nothing to cry about when you can have a 500whp turbo that spools insanely fast, or an almost 600hp turbo that spools a few hundred rpm slower. The turbine housing selection is actually very nicely done.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah but you're talking about Indycar turbos like they are the answer. They are non-divided v-band housings, and if you're looking to push the 7163 to the max, you're going to have to use the v-band. Sure a larger T4 divided housing might provide a couple hundred rpm advantage, but it's really nothing to cry about when you can have a 500whp turbo that spools insanely fast, or an almost 600hp turbo that spools a few hundred rpm slower. The turbine housing selection is actually very nicely done.
Thanks for singling me out with incorrect information........

Please go back and read my post again. I mentioned the Indy housing as an option to a question a gentleman posted about wanting an EWG option. I am not sure how you garnered from reading my post that is the single answer or did I ever compare it to a twin scroll.........

And good on you for denying actual data in regards to a TS housing vs a Single Scroll in regards to spool and area under the curve.......you are more than welcome to rebuke Physics and deny actual DATA if you so please on your own terms . I mean shoot, the gentleman that responded to your post (which you entirely ignored) had actual data AND dyno graphs to prove the TS actually producing more area under the curve as opposed to the same single scroll option lol! Oh the irony......
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

You can always do what papadakis racing did, and weld the gate shut and run externals off the internal housing.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread