Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
didn't know SSE broke their gear box. Good to know they weren't on full kill mode when they ran their fast time

Full-Race / Borgwarner teams took 2nd (SSE evo8), 4th (Tilton Interiors Evo 8) and 6th place (Mark Berry R34 GT-R). The JAP teams took 1st (cyber evo, full carbon evo) /3rd (garage revolution tube chassis FD RX7) /5th (scorch S15)... but yeah SSE losing the trans was a heart breaker - once Eric Hsu turned the boost up to "kill mode" on the 9180, halfway through the 1st high boost lap the tranny died. One interesting stat was that Sierra Sierra was by far the fastest down the straight of all the teams there - 280km/h whereas cyber was only at 250km/h. (Edit: cyber was just under 250km/h)

Sierra Sierra and the entire team (eric, jet, mike, denis, emp, cosworth) deserve massive credit. It is not at all easy to compete at this level let alone get your car from the USA to AUS and set jaw dropping records in the process - job well done to everyone involved!!

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Aug 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
the single biggest issue has been that BW had to fire 2 of their suppliers for not meeting requirements. This happened midstream and the good news is their new suppliers are 100% up to speed and the EFR drought is expected to come to an end over the next 4 weeks. I understand the skepticism and dont blame you. I can tell you that everything ive seen up to this point shows the technology works as intended... but i dont expect people to take this as gospel without seeing it first hand.

the World Time Attack in australia happened last weekend and EFR turbos/Full-Race had a good showing. SSE stepped up to the 9180 and a straight cut trans. After SSE took 1st place with a 1:29.0 Cyber evo accused SSE of using Nitrous b/c they believed no way a car that heavy could go that fast without nitrous... although cyber ended up winning by 0.17 seconds due to SSE breaking the transmission when they turned the boost all the way up on their EFR 9180. there were 3 other EFR entires at the event iirc - ill ask any of them if they are willing to share the dynocharts. Id love to do some dyno testing with my personal evo but i dont get a turbo until our customer backorders are filled
I am sorry to hear about the trans but that is awesome. If another team feels the need to challenge you, you are doing something right.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The cyber evo is ~20mph slower on the straights yet managed to turn a faster lap time? Sounds like SSE needs to get the weight down.

Glad I didn't decide to buy one of these things as I would have been yet another person with a fancy turbo and no numbers. Another 6 months or so should have 1-2 dyno sheets out there...

Seems like they are going to be about what I expected though. You aren't defying the laws of physics regardless of how technologically advanced the turbo is. The Titanium turbine in the TME turbo is only worth about 150 RPM faster spool. The billet HTA68 manages considerably better flow but similar spool for a given exducer diameter. Put the two together and you have the main parts of the EFR CHRA. That's about what I expected from the EFR series, great flow and good spool, exactly all you can hope for from a turbo. But nothing earth shaking.

The features is what will likely put them above the GTX once numbers start rolling in, not all out performance. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
the World Time Attack in australia happened last weekend and EFR turbos/Full-Race had a good showing. SSE stepped up to the 9180 and a straight cut trans. After SSE took 1st place with a 1:29.0 Cyber evo accused SSE of using Nitrous b/c they believed no way a car that heavy could go that fast without nitrous...
Does SSE even have a nitrous bottle in the car? LOL. No way an American team can beat the Japanese. LOL
Old Aug 9, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well it looks like the dyno is fired up and rollin again

Should have some #'s sooner than later i guess!

Amazing how quiet the set-up is w/ the integrated BOV and WG perfect for this street brute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICOs...eature=related

A couple of quick sneek peek shots:

Name:  IMG_3839.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  2.78 MB

Name:  IMG_3898.jpg
Size:  3.56 MB
Old Aug 9, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Does SSE even have a nitrous bottle in the car? LOL. No way an American team can beat the Japanese. LOL
They didn't

As far as I know, the Cyber EVO had 480whp on the day - well short of what a lot of the other cars were claiming, and it shows in trap speeds. They were doing something right!

Last edited by MrLith; Aug 9, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Should have some #'s sooner than later i guess!

Amazing how quiet the set-up is w/ the integrated BOV and WG perfect for this street brute
Awesome! Is it a twin scroll EFR8374? What is the setup? Damn, I can see myself holding my breath waiting for results again
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
Awesome! Is it a twin scroll EFR8374? What is the setup? Damn, I can see myself holding my breath waiting for results again
Unfortunately not as i know most on here are waiting for those results to be posted.

Quick run-down of the Evo posted above:

- 2006 Evo 9
- FFTEC built 2.0L longblock
- FFTEC SMIM
- FFTEC FF turbo kit w/ T3 EFR 8374
- FFTEC FMIC
- FIC 2150's & E85
- Kelford 272's

This is a 100% street car that likes to be driven at HIGH SPEEDS by the owner to car shows
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't the Cyber Evo stupid lightweight due to the complete lack of safety requirements in Japan? If you look at the cage design of the Cyber Evo vs. the cage design of the SSE car its just silly. One of those cars the driver is coming out in a plastic baggie if they crash.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Patrick:Still a plenty worthy combo, good luck - looking forward to seeing the results

The Cyber EVO would have to meet the Oz standards to compete there, so they can't have cut too many corners.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think this turbo being tested on pats vid will do just fine. just compare it to a T3 ss HTA86. simple as that.

geoff is slowly talking me into a 9180. and i am slowly being convinced. i wont be doing anything until the winter though. and when i do it will be a 9180 TS 1.05............. if it is not that turbo it will be a 6765/3794 in TS. right now i have a HTA86 TS 1.06 and i love it. but this winter is time for change.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
Patrick:Still a plenty worthy combo, good luck - looking forward to seeing the results

The Cyber EVO would have to meet the Oz standards to compete there, so they can't have cut too many corners.
Thanks will post up asap! I will be at the shop tomorrow afternoon and hope to hear some good news

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i think this turbo being tested on pats vid will do just fine. just compare it to a T3 ss HTA86. simple as that.

geoff is slowly talking me into a 9180. and i am slowly being convinced. i wont be doing anything until the winter though. and when i do it will be a 9180 TS 1.05............. if it is not that turbo it will be a 6765/3794 in TS. right now i have a HTA86 TS 1.06 and i love it. but this winter is time for change.
Yes although we didn't intend on building this to compete against those previously mentioned combos for all out HP as they have been proven many times but rather to have something a little different for the "show" factor but quick&fast none the less!

This car previously ran a custom FFTEC 40R kit w/ a 2.1L motor

Another pic:

Name:  427ae131.jpg
Size:  3.05 MB
Old Aug 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like SSE needs to get a hold of Jon @ TRE. Some force fed coolant on the gears/synchro's would go a long way.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Hope you guys don't mind me posting some preliminary results (no graph as i'm not at the shop but just got off the phone w/ Sean to discuss something Geoff just pm'd me about)

We hit a limit of 32psi of boost and only reving it to 7300 rpm +/- and it put down 540-550AWHP on our MD so obviously lots more to go.

Sean said he'd like to run closer to 40psi so i will be in touch with Geoff sometime soon to see what we can do about getting the WG to hold more boost

Sean has a couple ideas he'd like to try as well so amongst the two of them i'm sure we will get this thing singing properly!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Whats spool like?

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread