Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Geoff,
what Evo 6 radiator did you use? Do you sell it? If so how much?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the Evo6 radiator? Thinner, different piping?

l8r)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

evo 6 radiator is required because the upper radiator hose from a 7/8/9 would hit a top mounted turbo. This thread has some comparison photos:

evo 7/8/9 radiator:

evo 6 radiator:

i bought a few different "name brand" evo6 radiators but didnt like the fact that the overflow nipples all point towards the engine bay - that is ridiculous to me! also i like to target 42mm thickness, i feel 50mm is unnecessarily thick. so i got a couple cores and slapped something together myself. i am not nearly as good at alum tig welding as steel tig, i could never get a job at full-race's intercooler dept haha

edit, pics of overflow nipples pointing at the header:

compare those overflow nipples to mine (oriented like the koyo evo6 photo):

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the pwr evo 5/6 radiator is very good,never once had cooling issues,the upper pipe is a straight shot from the thermostat
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i bought a mishimoto. heard some bad things, but was told they have a new mfg and a great warranty. free replacement, no questions asked. i prefer never having to use a warranty though. pulled it out of the box and it looks pretty decent. not great, but good enough that i dont have reservations putting it on.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont forget about CBRD's radiators. IMO much nicer, lighter, and you can have them built exactly how you would want it. i believe he uses some high end core too.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:10 PM
Account Disabled

-pwr is first rate stuff, hard to get in the US anymore however.
-koyo evo6 (photo i posted) would be great, but the one i ordered didnt look like that photo unfortunately
-the mishimotos are china made copies of pwr and koyo, and they work fine for most setups and they are very cheap so easy to replace if you wreck it. personally i did not like their radiator cap or the overflow nipple, deal breakers for my setup. also its too thick and welds/fabrication/fin consistency left a lot to be desired imo.
-cbrd is custom and good stuff, just not a mainstream solution so to speak

thats why i bought a few cores and made my own.

edit: Maybe full-race will have to step into the radiator game after all - these are excellent cores at a great price, no reason we cant get some endtanks dialed in...

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
-koyo evo6 (photo i posted) would be great, but the one i ordered didnt look like that photo unfortunately
-the mishimotos are china made copies of pwr and koyo, and they work fine for most setups and they are very cheap so easy to replace if you wreck it. personally i did not like their radiator cap or the overflow nipple, deal breakers for my setup. also its too thick and welds/fabrication/fin consistency left a lot to be desired imo.

edit: Maybe full-race will have to step into the radiator game after all - these are excellent cores at a great price, no reason we cant get some endtanks dialed in...
im cutting my overflow nipple off and drilling and tapping the neck for a 1/8" npt 90* hose barb to get it facing the right direction. im glad you said something, now i dont feel like such an obsessive nitpicking freak.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Imo that's a great idea. Building your own brings a lot to the table. That's why i mentioned cbrd. Geoff if u build your own you get your own level of quality fit and finish. Plus it gives you the ability to Tweek anything for anyone at any time. It may cost more for that customer to have something custom made but in the end its only going to improve there setup. Thats why I like custom stuff. I say build your own full race rads.

Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree - the 7670 is great for a stock motor evo, or a mildly built setup. Once you get into increased displacement and big boost levels, the 8374 is going to have a major advantage due to it's higher efficiency
I'm VERY curious to see how this kit responds on a stock motor setup.
Spool, response, driveability.

Geoff, I know it's tough to gauge, but what turbo would you consider a good comparison to the 7670 in regards to spool and response?

-Jalal
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for not being a "mainstream solution" we have sold over 500 evo rads LOL

and in our thinnest fitments outcool most of the thicker stuff-

looks nice geoff-

cb
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of radiators, I just sent Chad a text this morning about his Ultaslim rad, as I think it's time to replace my Mishimoto rad....

In regards to the radiators posted above I like that the koyo has the overflow nip on the side, didn't know that...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
I'm VERY curious to see how this kit responds on a stock motor setup. Spool, response, driveability. Geoff, I know it's tough to gauge, but what turbo would you consider a good comparison to the 7670 in regards to spool and response?
talk to Raj sobratee, he runs a twinscroll 7670 on a stock 150mm rod and stock head stock intake manifold, just upgraded to forged rods/pistons/cams. same setup as my motor, except i have kelford 272s and AMS intake manifold

Originally Posted by CBRD
for not being a "mainstream solution" we have sold over 500 evo rads LOL and in our thinnest fitments outcool most of the thicker stuff- looks nice geoff- cb
very cool to hear chad - I agree the thinner rads cool better AND weigh less. The only rad of yours ive seen was Evo Dan's config which is not a/c compatible so thats why its a deal breaker to me as a "mainstream solution" if you have an off the shelf evo6 rad that is great

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
Speaking of radiators, I just sent Chad a text this morning about his Ultaslim rad, as I think it's time to replace my Mishimoto rad....In regards to the radiators posted above I like that the koyo has the overflow nip on the side, didn't know that...
i bought a koyo and it arrived with the overflow nipple pointing back at the turbo not how the photos shows it oriented, my supplier said thats how they all come now? So i sold that recently.

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
im cutting my overflow nipple off and drilling and tapping the neck for a 1/8" npt 90* hose barb to get it facing the right direction. im glad you said something, now i dont feel like such an obsessive nitpicking freak.
cool that should do it. just keep an eye on things with that mishi rad and cap

Originally Posted by evodan2004
I say build your own full race rads.
ive got (6) cores sitting here in my office so maybe build a small batch, at least for my top mounted turbokits. I dont plan to do custom cores like CBRD, that is all him, i dont want to compete with him on that stuff. Instead it would just be a simple high quality drop-in rad with sideways overflow nipple and the Evo 6 style upper water neck. required for this new top mount EFR internal WG turbo kit

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In case anyone searches for it.

Coolant ports are 18mmx1.5
I used some metric to AN fittings from www.anplumbing.com

Oil drain line fasteners are M8x1.25 (I ordered 20mm long bolts for my -10AN CNC'd drain flange) Uses the standard Garrett GT drain flange FYI. You can also use the OEM drain line gasket
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 AM
Account Disabled

eric, the oil drain "hole" is tapped to 3/8" NPT, there is no drain flange necessary, although you have the option to use one i dont know why you would want to

also - the oil feed line from the oil filter housing becomes very long, above 36", so it would be wise to do that in a -6AN, and the feed is M12x1.5 fyi

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread