Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cylinder heads, short blocks, flow benches....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm getting excited. i can't wait to see these numbers.

ben
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

I can't wait to see the results David. I think the argument that most of your customers will be interested in your "less hardcore" stages is sound. (I'm one of them so I may be biased.) I'm interested in getting the most out of the Evo as a daily driver. Maybe one day I'll want to fill up with race gas and take a spin around the track, but for the time being that just isn't practical. Maybe there really would be merrit to the idea of have two project cars, one as an all-out show stopper (aka, competition silencer) and another as the street warrior. Either way I will have fun reading the results.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I am excited to get some costs associated with the project. Your upgrade path is the one i have chosen.

How much would it cost to have done?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
newevo8, rather than me run down the upgrade path here, please visit our website and check it out. Everything we have done is listed there with prices.

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 4, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I guess it is a little confusing.

As for how high you can rev. I don't know what Boost Solutions is doing for a valvetrain. We have taken the stock EVO stuff to 8,000 rpm. To be honest I think the springs are part of the problem with the car holding boost, they are just weak.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David, Ive been wondering why exactly in my 1G I could hold 23psi on my Big 16G to redline but in my EVO the badass stock turbo can only hold 19psi to redline. From this post are you saying that the reason it isnt holding boost up top is because of the springs? If that is true, then how come the turbo upgrades can hold the boost up top and not the stock turbo.

Tom
Old May 5, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

The turbo upgrades make more CFM which keep the boost higher as the engine stays full.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 5, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

The turbo upgrades make more CFM which keep the boost higher as the engine stays full.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I understand, but how come the regular 16Gs on DSMs can hold the boost up top on the 4G63, but the EVO8 16G.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
David, Ive been wondering why exactly in my 1G I could hold 23psi on my Big 16G to redline...
What kind of power are we talking about with your 1G?
Old May 5, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
What kind of power are we talking about with your 1G?
It made 322whp@19-20psi... when I got race gas I turned the boost to 23.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:05 PM
Account Disabled

I think, I didn't go back and look, but somewhere in this I said something about how we use to port the heads compared to now.

At one time we basically hogged the port out as large as we could. This made for some great numbers to advertise at high lift. I figured the turbo was going to be pushing the air in anyway and the larger port was best.

I was told by the guy that owns the flow bench I was wrong. I then started experimenting with different port work and found something that actually flowed well in the area where our cams work.

I then took this head and put it on the race car. Well, he was correct. The power overall was improved across the entire curve.

Ever since this time we re-visit the flow bench from time to time to try a new idea or something we heard about.

The EVO head I used all we have learned up to now and am just amazed at what we have gotten it to flow.

The head work is now ready and anyone that needs to have a head done can send it in.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
So David, did your valve springs and retainers help the car at all. Are you using stock sized valves or 1mm oversized?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Flowing this head and advertising a flow number at .500 lift is useless. The biggest cam we run and most of you will ever run is only around .420 lift. Porting one of these heads to flow from 0-.420 lift is alot different than porting it to flow from .400 and up. We have learned to concentrate on nothing over .450, it does nothing for performance.
By around 0.35 Lift/Diameter ratio on any port, any valve, discharge volume is flattening out anyway. Advertizing flow at lifts above the flat range is just a long winded way of saying they have the same great flow in the upper non-flat L/D range (0.25-0.34). They should have just advertized that range directly.

While it is longwided and potentially confusing to some enthusiasts, I wouldn't say the information is useless.

=====

You say every flowbench reads different. I just want to clarify that the only reason this happens is because of the non-calibration and wear on the bench. Properly sealed, properly sized, cut and calibrated SEOs or calibrated / replaced LFEs / sensors, properly maintained, flowbenches will read very close to each other, flowing the same head. This is especially so if flowbenches are placed in large enough climate controlled rooms with matching temperature and humidity.

Operator integrity plays a bigger part than above.

=====

I agree with you when you say there need to be standards as there are in the domestic head market. Flow listed at multiple lift points in tenths of an inch increments, at standard test pressures, and listing port entry or exit (radius, pipe, etc.)

Cheers

Last edited by Shaun@SG; Aug 18, 2005 at 12:19 AM. Reason: phrasing
Old Aug 18, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

We use oversize valves in the heads. The springs/retainers, did they help? I am confused by the question. Did they help what?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com