Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch install same time as tune?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch install same time as tune?

I''m having an exedy twin installed with a built 2.0, 35R, cams, etc probably no more than 30psi max. I want to do the clutch at the same time to save on the install cost of the clutch but now I'm worried about the clutch break in if it will be on the dyno getting tuned right after install. I've read conflicting info that its okay since its on the dyno and but then also you should do 500miles to break in. Its going to be a mustang dyno if it matters.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Master Blaster
I''m having an exedy twin installed with a built 2.0, 35R, cams, etc probably no more than 30psi max. I want to do the clutch at the same time to save on the install cost of the clutch but now I'm worried about the clutch break in if it will be on the dyno getting tuned right after install. I've read conflicting info that its okay since its on the dyno and but then also you should do 500miles to break in. Its going to be a mustang dyno if it matters.
In theory, it's not going to make that big of a difference if you replace it or not when it comes to the dyno time. You won't be doing any hardcore launches or bangin gears off the rev limiter on the dyno, so it's very unlikely that it will hurt the new clutch. Broken in or not, I can't see a new clutch slipping under a dyno pull either. If you wanted to be safe, just don't touch it until after the dyno! Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Btw, do we need a retune everytime after a new clutch change?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I installed my Exedy Twin HD, I did a 500 mile break-in.

If you read the instructions that come with the clutch, it will tell you a 500 mile break-in is necessary.

Definitely do a break-in then a tune. The clutch is not supposed to see anything over 4000 RPM's for the first 500 miles. When tuning, your tuning WOT and 7000+ RPM's.

If you want the clutch to last, break it in.

P.S. - Make sure when the clutch is installed to use Loctite Red 271 on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...er-Red-271.htm

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Aug 15, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:18 AM

I want to save the extra $ on the clutch install but not at the price of my exedy twin's longevity. I may see if they can do a base tune to use during the 500 mile break in then head back up for the real deal.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my oil turbo integra i built the engine and out a new clutch in. Then the car was dynoed with 0 miles on everything. everything worked out great.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Race cars don't do a clutch break in, but that's for 1 of 2 reasons. They're either running puck clutches and don't need to break it in, OR they're not concerned with longevity.

The shop should be able to do a basic tune that will get you by. While breaking in the clutch, you're not going to be beating on the car anyway.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by jameswwt
Btw, do we need a retune everytime after a new clutch change?
No. Changing the clutch has nothing to do with tuning. The only reason the OP is wondering about tuning the car after a clutch install is because in his car, the engine is already out of the car with the transmission off, so it would make sense to do the clutch now, both financially and in terms of down time.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Aug 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

No. Changing the clutch has nothing to do with tuning. The only reason the OP is wondering about tuning the car after a clutch install is because in his car, the engine is already out of the car with the transmission off, so it would make sense to do the clutch now, both financially and in terms of down time.[/quote]

Thanks Vivid Racing.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Had my clutch installed, went right to the dyno - don't worry OP.