Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining Noise! PLZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining Noise! PLZ HELP!

OK so my 2003 evo 8 has a whining noise when i am driving, if i'm in gear or in neutral it doesn't matter, as long as the car is in motion it whines. So i researched it and it looks like everyone says it is the transfer case (even the videos ppl have online with their busted T-cases, mine sounds the same). NOW....is there anything else that can make a whining noise like that too?? like the trans or any of the diffs? I went to a shop here near my house DRC transmission in Elk Grove, IL and the guy there said he doesn't think its the T-case but actually the trans. I would think it isn't the trans because even when the car is in neutral it still whines. PLZ give me some info on this, iunno if these ppl are trying to screw me or something (i'm new to the whole evo scene).
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

check your fluids in the Tcase, trans and rear diff. Fill if necessary. If that doesn't work, most likely its your T case. There are some real quality shops on here that specialize in fixing these. Shep, Jacks transmission, Team rip. One word of advice, before you or who ever re installs the Transfer case...make sure the small quarter size o ring is properly in place. its easy to loose and can lead to a nice head ache.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:25 PM

From what other people told me was that if there is a whining noise that the damage is done with that part, did you ever hear about the trans making noises that resemble what a damaged T-case makes? Like that car drives perfectly fine, sometimes its hard to shift into first or second gear but besides that nothing....