Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for the best LSD for an Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rcgoff2
Can anyone confirm if the IX RS USDM evo came with the diff stacked properly????
i can confirm the rear diff from a USDM IX RS is not stacked properly. it's the same diff that is in all the other usdm 8's and 9's.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The front diff is a torsion diff in the RS, there are no plates to begin with, much less stack them properly.

+1 on the rear being changed simply because of noise as griceiv mentioned.

Do any of the aftermarket center diffs eliminate the viscous coupler in the transfer case?
Yes, the Quaife but its hard to find in the US for the 5 speeds. Dont beleive what Quaife says on the part numbers, The 5 speed is a QDH11B and the 6 Speed is a QDH13B. Im speaking from experience on this matter, I have a Quaife center Diff and it was a PIA to find at a resonable price for my 5 speed. It is Built as a Bias Diff with gears, and it is WELL built. The thing looks bullet proof. You just need new bearings, shims and the Plastic Speedo gear and the Final drive gear bolts too. It has a lifetime warrenty, although Jacks now has the bad *** output tube, it has me second guessing throwing this in or not.. since you dont hear of Center diffs breaking, other then the output tube.

Last edited by blowngasket; Mar 7, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! This was the answer I was looking for!

Originally Posted by griceiv
i can confirm the rear diff from a USDM IX RS is not stacked properly. it's the same diff that is in all the other usdm 8's and 9's.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why necessarily an RS? I don't remember it being any different from the rest as far as the rear is concerned. It was the first to get a front LSD in '04, but then all (RS/GSR/MR) 05+ got them.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Why necessarily an RS? I don't remember it being any different from the rest as far as the rear is concerned. It was the first to get a front LSD in '04, but then all (RS/GSR/MR) 05+ got them.
Never heard of this as I've always called it the RS front diff because it was only found in RS's. I do know they came with ACD but that's not an LSD.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

First one is the Open diff found in everything BUT the 04 RS NON ACD, second one is the 04 RS diff, the one you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-LANCER...cc0d49&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-E...4fb497&vxp=mtr

This is why, when looking for a Non Acd Tcase you want either a Built Tcase with a quaife [expensive version] Or a 04 RS Tcase. If you get a Regular Non Acd Tcase youll want to upgrade that weak open front diff.
You can see how fast a 04 Rs Tcase sells, compared to a regluar non acd Tcase. Also a lot of people are converting over to non Acd for many reasons now, so these are in demand.

Last edited by blowngasket; Mar 8, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I do know they came with ACD but that's not an LSD.
Ya, I know - but what I'm saying is all '05s and '06s have front LSD as well, I'm just not sure if it is the exact same unit/specs as the '04 RS front LSD. Maybe it isn't because that car didn't come with ACD which makes it the perfect/only match for an '03.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 12, 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarifying ambiguity
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Ya, I know - but what I'm saying is all '05s and '06s have front LSD as well, I'm just not sure if it the exact same unit/specs as the '04 RS front LSD. Maybe it is because that car didn't come with ACD which makes it the perfect/only match for an '03.
the 04 rs and 05-06 front diffs are the same.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
First one is the Open diff found in everything BUT the 04 RS NON ACD, second one is the 04 RS diff, the one you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-LANCER...cc0d49&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-E...4fb497&vxp=mtr

This is why, when looking for a Non Acd Tcase you want either a Built Tcase with a quaife [expensive version] Or a 04 RS Tcase. If you get a Regular Non Acd Tcase youll want to upgrade that weak open front diff.
You can see how fast a 04 Rs Tcase sells, compared to a regluar non acd Tcase. Also a lot of people are converting over to non Acd for many reasons now, so these are in demand.
Ha, thanks for this link. Been looking for one of these at a good price. Just picked up the last one.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, I kinda forgot my car even had front LSD until I read this post. Its been over 5 years since i read the factory spec sheet. How does our front helical limited-slip differential compair to some of the aftermarket units like the Quaife.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RjRacing05
Lol, I kinda forgot my car even had front LSD until I read this post. Its been over 5 years since i read the factory spec sheet. How does our front helical limited-slip differential compair to some of the aftermarket units like the Quaife.
Strenth wise? Not sure i just know its a cheaper alternative to the quaife. I went with the quaife cause it was what was in the built Tcase i got. Otherwise i would have just gotten the Rs front diff. The quaife does have a nice lifetime warrenty now thou.