Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem after installation of COP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem after installation of COP

Yesterday I installed new COP in evo 8 (jdm model).
After installation and double checking all wiring/fitting, I started engine.
It started and idled fine. After about 10 secs, engine shut off.
To start engine again, i had to turn ignition off completely, then on.
I noticed check engine light showed up. On next engine start, it had same behavior of running for like 10 secs then shut off, though i pressed throttle to keep it running.
It felt like there was no ignition signal after 10 sec, each time i started engine.

I am running stock ecu and there is no cutting/alteration in factory/stock wiring/looms.

Any suggestion/help to rectify this issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

NE

Last edited by NaughtyEvo; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
first thing first, swap back to the stock coils and see if the problem goes away.
did you get the COP specifically for the evo8's? because they are different than the evo9's.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:50 PM

Before installation I started engine on stock coils. It was perfect.
I ordered Evo 8 ignition and I believe I received right product.
Also, this installation wasn't that easy, I mean bolting plate up with rubber coils didn't get through that easily. I had to press it quite hard and screwed it up right away so that it doesn't pop up.
Is this normal?
My feeling was that it could be because of new tighter springs inside rubber boots, made it go hard.

Last edited by NaughtyEvo; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it sounds like when you put the cop on, the plug coil boots arent fully seated on the spark plugs, so whats probably happening is your spark is shorting out on the head which isnt good. Best bet go to an auto parts store, buy some "Dye Electric Grease" put a dab on inside of each coil boot where it goes on spark plug, that should lube it up enough, to pop it on to the plug, which then should fix your issue. Good luck.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you use a kit, or is this something you put together yourself? I know not all of the COP are long enough to reach down into the hole and fully seat on on the spark plugs.

Also, you said the CEL is on. What's the code?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:39 AM

Dastallion, to ensure that boots seat properly, I took off everything again and installed boots on plugs first then attached coils and bolted plate on top. It seems like boots are a little long as I again had to press plate hard to tighten it on cover.
Vivid Racing, boots did slide on plugs completely o/w car wouldn't start or misfire on start up. It starts perfectly and idles fine then shuts off after about 10 seconds.
Check engine light stays on. How to read code?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think everything has been disclosed here. The customer provided this picture with this question "Is that fine to run or should I do something with it?". Attached is pic of a damaged coil in the area of where the rubber boot is attached. He didn't explain how the damage occurred so at this point we don't know what else may be damaged. Prior to shipping we wrap is several layers of bubble wrap and then pack in Styrofoam packing peanuts.

At this point we would need the system sent back to us for inspection/repair before we could diagnose it any further.

I do know that our systems have been shipped worldwide for many years and haven't heard of any compatibility issues of this sort. We do know there are a few piggy back ecu's that have similar issues but the customer says he's not running any piggy back ecu's.

I'd suggest he find another Evo to install the system on and see if he has the same issues.
Attached Thumbnails Problem after installation of COP-img-20120319-00540-1.jpg  
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:07 PM

CEL code that showed up is P0300 - Random misfire detected.
I've not disclosed everything here is because i don't want to start any argument.
Just trying to figure out issue quickly that's why seeking others suggestions/help too.
Btw, i've sent you a detailed email. Kindly, check.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

^replied to your email. If your getting a P0300 random misfire code then most likely the broken coil is causing a leakage of spark to the valve cover.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:17 AM

Problem found?

Have you find out the problem? I am having the same issue
Old Jan 20, 2019, 08:15 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I've heard of this issue multiple times when people tried running cheap Ebay coils on a DIY kit, but only on JDM models. If this is a Sparktech system and the coils haven't recently been swapped for a cheap brand, I don't see why this would happen. The problem sounds exactly the same though. The car will start for 10-15 seconds and run perfectly, and then just shut off completely. You have to turn the ignition off completely before it'll start again and then it shuts off. I believe it was something caused by the jdm ecu, but I never heard if they figured out a way to fix it.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Apr 12, 2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JD Customs USA
I've heard of this issue multiple times when people tried running cheap Ebay coils on a DIY kit, but only on JDM models. If this is a Sparktech system and the coils haven't recently been swapped for a cheap brand, I don't see why this would happen. The problem sounds exactly the same though. The car will start for 10-15 seconds and run perfectly, and then just shut off completely. You have to turn the ignition off completely before it'll start again and then it shuts off. I believe it was something caused by the jdm ecu, but I never heard if they figured out a way to fix it.
Hi, may i know the solution for it?