Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.14%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.86%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i've used Purolator filters for the longest time based on my research.
Care to elaborate? I'm always looking to broaden my knowledge!

Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Care to elaborate? I'm always looking to broaden my knowledge!

it's been a few years, but i had a folder on my browser dedicated to every single test i could find on filters. we even sent a couple in for testing (not that we don't trust the internet LOL).

i was very happy with the results.

i may have the paperwork saved, but it's pretty much the same as all the other tests i can find via Google. i'll look; now i'm curious.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
FYI Amsoil got back with simply that it doesn't have an alternative.

Taking bypass pressure into account, honestly I might go elsewhere. How do we know that this doesn't bypass all the time when the engine's getting run pretty hard? don't we have enough pressure to do stuff like pop out dipsticks etc? Maybe that's separate and I'm misunderstanding.

I get that there are some pros to a lower bypass pressure, but in general I would think I'd want higher, especially for a "race car." Maybe lower at cold temps, but definitely higher at race temps at 7000 rpm etc
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
It does flutter open when at higher RPMs, that's what it's designed to do.

It occurs far less when the oil is thinner because of temperature, however.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
It does flutter open when at higher RPMs, that's what it's designed to do.

It occurs far less when the oil is thinner because of temperature, however.
gotcha. maybe a few UOAs are in order for me during the season next year
Old Oct 28, 2014, 02:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you getting the right people to answer these questions. We may want to get VP of technical. Its like all companies depends who you get is the answer.

id be glad to support

Originally Posted by kyoo

Taking bypass pressure into account, honestly I might go elsewhere. How do we know that this doesn't bypass all the time when the engine's getting run pretty hard? don't we have enough pressure to do stuff like pop out dipsticks etc? Maybe that's separate and I'm misunderstanding.

I get that there are some pros to a lower bypass pressure, but in general I would think I'd want higher, especially for a "race car." Maybe lower at cold temps, but definitely higher at race temps at 7000 rpm etc
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that the bypass pressure is the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet of the filter. When you start your engine cold you have really high oil pressures going into and through the filter, but not so much at the outlet just yet. The bypass quickly opens to allow oil to flow through.
Its not about overall oil pressures, but rather the difference of pressures between one side of the system and the other.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Are you getting the right people to answer these questions. We may want to get VP of technical. Its like all companies depends who you get is the answer.

id be glad to support
any EAO that fits the evo with a bypass pressure in the range
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

also,

general question that's probably been answered several times already:

convention is to change filter every time you change oil. given that i drive infrequent enough that I only change the oil every 6mos (time basis rather than mileage basis), does it hold true that I should still change the filter every 6mos?

what if i just empty it (to get rid of old oil sitting in it) and fill it with new oil and reinstall it? even if our cars are on a severe maintenance schedule, i shouldn't have to be changing the filters themselves every 1-2k miles should I?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also,

general question that's probably been answered several times already:

convention is to change filter every time you change oil. given that i drive infrequent enough that I only change the oil every 6mos (time basis rather than mileage basis), does it hold true that I should still change the filter every 6mos?

what if i just empty it (to get rid of old oil sitting in it) and fill it with new oil and reinstall it? even if our cars are on a severe maintenance schedule, i shouldn't have to be changing the filters themselves every 1-2k miles should I?
The filter itself should be fine. The only reason I would say to change it is because since you will have already removed it might as well. Why stick a used filter back on? Worst case scenario by reusing the filter in your situation would be the o-ring maybe not sealing as well after being reused,imo.

Honestly you may be better off leaving that 6 mos oil in there and instead, replace just the oil filter every 6 mos.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
The filter itself should be fine. The only reason I would say to change it is because since you will have already removed it might as well. Why stick a used filter back on? Worst case scenario by reusing the filter in your situation would be the o-ring maybe not sealing as well after being reused,imo.

Honestly you may be better off leaving that 6 mos oil in there and instead, replace just the oil filter every 6 mos.

assuming the filter material is okay, the o-ring would be fine as he wouldn't need to remove it to change the oil.
oil supposedly breaks down over time and collects debris and condensation, i'd imagine? that's why we're supposed to change it. having oil breaking down in the filter is also why i imagine you would want to change that too.

i'm not sure, though. i've NEVER hit the time limit of an oil change LOL. i'm curious, though..
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM

interesting. not a terrible idea too. car's garaged, though not temperature controlled. still shouldn't be bad oil if it's got, i.e. 1k miles and 6mo.

Originally Posted by kaj
assuming the filter material is okay, the o-ring would be fine as he wouldn't need to remove it to change the oil.
oil supposedly breaks down over time and collects debris and condensation, i'd imagine? that's why we're supposed to change it. having oil breaking down in the filter is also why i imagine you would want to change that too.

i'm not sure, though. i've NEVER hit the time limit of an oil change LOL. i'm curious, though..
well i would have removed it to get the "old" oil out of there but if the oil's only got 1k miles on it and i'm just changing because i reach the arbitrary time limit.. idk. i've always been in the, high performance car, spend the $$ the maintain it right camp, and i still am. just wondering if i'm wasting money following the time interval of 6mo if the oil's got very little mileage on it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just wondering if i'm wasting money following the time interval of 6mo if the oil's got very little mileage on it.
You might be, for the oil and the filter both.
Long time ago, in the earlier days of synthetic oil when you could call Mobil 1 support and talk to an actual engineer, I got this input from them: At that time the Mobil 1 recommended change interval was 12 months or xx,xxx miles, whichever first. The engineer I got on the phone said that when they think about what to recommend for people who do low mileage, they kind of assume that the reason for the low mileage is short trips, so the engine doesn't spend much % of its run time at full temperature. That is an unfavorable condition for the oil, hence, change after so many months.

My Talon, BMW, and Jeep are all low mileage per year, less than 2000 miles per year. I figure, if they are not doing a high percentage of short 4 mile "trips", if they are all street and freeway miles (not track), if there is no wmi injection, if I am using synthetic oil, if I'm not in dusty conditions much, if the car is fine with the same viscosity range year round - with all those "ifs" checked, I'm fine with 1 time per year oil and filter changes. I think. That's what I've been doing anyway, for several years.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:15 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Screw all that jazz. My E36 with 210k miles gets nothing but fram. Never gave me a problem (DD). For a daily, I have no problem using whatever filter is available and follow the oil change interval. But that's me. Come track time, I would definitely use a quality filter (obviously). But anyway... Great info here
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
You might be, for the oil and the filter both.
Long time ago, in the earlier days of synthetic oil when you could call Mobil 1 support and talk to an actual engineer, I got this input from them: At that time the Mobil 1 recommended change interval was 12 months or xx,xxx miles, whichever first. The engineer I got on the phone said that when they think about what to recommend for people who do low mileage, they kind of assume that the reason for the low mileage is short trips, so the engine doesn't spend much % of its run time at full temperature. That is an unfavorable condition for the oil, hence, change after so many months.

My Talon, BMW, and Jeep are all low mileage per year, less than 2000 miles per year. I figure, if they are not doing a high percentage of short 4 mile "trips", if they are all street and freeway miles (not track), if there is no wmi injection, if I am using synthetic oil, if I'm not in dusty conditions much, if the car is fine with the same viscosity range year round - with all those "ifs" checked, I'm fine with 1 time per year oil and filter changes. I think. That's what I've been doing anyway, for several years.
that's the interval i run for my corolla - 1yr intervals, which is roughly 16-17k miles/yr. with the evo, i think 6mo intervals are reasonable, but idk that the filter is as sensitive as the oil itself

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)