Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comp has done it again an even better Stg 2 clutch option

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Comp has done it again an even better Stg 2 clutch option

Review of the newer comp STG 2 with unsprung street disc for Evolution IV-IX and X. This Does everything the sprung does but shifts even better and especially at high RPM. I have done unsprung 6 pucks in the past and have never been impressed with the shifting vs a sprung one till now.

So my Clutch Saga continues. Since my last review I had quite a few different clutches. The Comp STG 2 with Street disc, Comp STG 2 with 6 puck, Comp 7.25in twin heavy, Comp 7.25 Triple heavy and now back to the STG 2 with unsprung street disc.

At this point this clutch has done nothing but impress me. I am always fighting the multi disc shifting VS the single disc daily driving. At this point I dont want to say the new unsprung street disc is as good as a twin for shifting but it sure is close. I can honestly say this is the best shifting single I have ever felt to date.

At this point I have ran the car at 450whp 400TQ on a 2.0 FP BB green on E85 and its holding great. I have only launched a few times but hope to get her out to the track for some drag racing when it opens on the 1st of march. Did 156mi around the road course with it this Sat. Even at the end of my 30min sessions it was still shifting the same.

How the comp STG 2 Unsprung drives. I find the ACT HDSS, Comp exedy 1.5 (Stg 1 HD) All can have a little more chatter on take off over a stock clutch more noticeable in a IX because of the taller 1st gear. If you are used to performance clutches then you will think nothing of these clutches if you are coming from a bone stock one it will take a sec to get used to. To me the only thing I have noticed so far with the unsprung is the drivetrain decel noise above 3-4k. This is a common noise for all un sprung stuff. The decel noise is less than any of my previous unspurng multi disc clutches I have had. Comp twin, Triple, Exedy Tripple

Wanted to thank

The Evo community for all the great support. Without you I would be able to beat on my car all the time testing new stuff.

Dan at comp clutch for keep the push on and sending me new stuff to try taking my feedback and making a better product.

Here is a video from the road course this Sat on all my 2nd gear exits I am reving to 8500rpm and it shifts 3rd like butter.

This is the original Stg 2 HD with Street Disc post.

Competition Clutch new HD street disc clutch kit for Evo VIII-X Review.

ER new choice for the Avg Daily driver making up 500whp. Super smooth, holds the power, shifts smooth and a good price.

They have pucked options for cars passed 500whp or that will be doing alot of launching.

So over the last few years I have tried close to 20 different clutches in my Evo and have driven 100s of evos with different Clutch and trans combos.

While there is still no perfect clutch for our cars I feel for the avg street car this new clutch is the best option there is and its a good price $495 retail. Before this clutch my choice was a ACT HDSS, but with rising cost of this clutch and the fact the they don't have the love to try and keep making better products for our cars. I like the Exedy stg 1 HD for how it drives and shifts but it just wont hold the HP on a launch that the new HD Comp and the HDSS do.

I have been dealing with Dan at comp clutch for over a year now and I feel they really listen to what I have to say and try to make better products.

So about 3 weeks ago Dan sent this new clutch out for me to try which I was super happy about since my HDSS was locking out bad. It was so bad I could almost not even get it out of gear past 7k. This was due to trying to launch it to hard this summer at the drag strip. I Said I was only going to road race my car but I had to try out the HTA green at the drag strip but it would just not hold the torque of the ER 2.4

As of now I have launched this clutch a few times from what I can tell it will hold the same if not more the a HDSS and it really does seem to shift quite a bit better. Time will tell as it get some more heat into it if the lock out problems start up like they do in the HDSS.

My car now has a 4.0 Final drive so its really hard on clutches for launching. (makes 1st gear super tall) I find IX 1st gears and taller final drives are hard on clutches and cause more chatter. Stock final dirves and VIII 1st gears take off alot smoother and chatter alot less.

Right now my car makes just over 500hp and around 470tq.

Here is my closed course video of a quick test of the clutch Should have it out on the road course in the next few mons for the final test.

Quick up date.

So as of now I am just over 10k on this clutch. Still smooth and no lock out.

Hit our local track last Friday was last minute so I did no have my harness's or door bar. 1st pass shifting slow and extra slip on the launch I ran 11.5 next pass with a better launch and faster shifting I ran 11.3. Then they kicked my out. I am pretty sure I would have ended up 11.0 or 10.9 if I could have kept racing.

Anyway last year on a HDSS the best I could run out of this same combo was 11.6 so I am supper happy. It was taking the launches pretty nice. Hope I get to go back with the door bar and belts later this month.

Last edited by Lucas English; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
In for updates
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
he's been running it for awhile...this is the update
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
i've driven with Lucas and driven the car with this clutch in it. his description of drivability, shifting, and decel noise match my sentiments exactly. having never driven an unsprung disk, i was expecting the lack of springs to cause harsher engagement both from a stop and between gears. it was not the case. very nice clutch, especially given the price.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That decel noise kills me! I thought it was an exhaust rattle for a long time. When I put a stock clutch in my car and it no longer felt like a rattle trap I swore I would never go back. Now the EVO is getting some bigger power and a single disc sprung hub may not hold up. I HATED launching the twin dusk solid hubs but it did rev and shift like a dream. I have a Comp six pick spring and it drives pretty good. Do you think it will handle a 2.4 with a 35R at Max boost? If so I will keep it in there. Otherwise I may yet an act hdss I have laying around. I am a 99% street driven car. Track is very rare for me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm watching the video and struggling to hear any noises I don't already hear in my car . What is the decel noise like? A rattle? A whine?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Extra noise and additional harshness are a big turn off for me. For a pure daily-driven street car would you recommend the sprung or solid Stage 2?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Extra noise and additional harshness are a big turn off for me. For a pure daily-driven street car would you recommend the sprung or solid Stage 2?
Except for a bit of decel noise above 3500 rpm, I wouldn't have known that I was driving an unsprung hub. It was not harsh. The decel noise was detectable but pretty mild. I would characterize it as not being much different than the level of noise that the Evo VIII 5-speed tranny makes when just driving along in low gears.

I've driven both the sprung and unsprung CCI 2, and my perception is that the trade-off is shifting performance vs decel noise. Unsprung shifts as good as anyone could ever want, but makes a bit of decel noise. Seems like there is always some kind of trade-off with clutches.

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
No such thing as the perfect single. Even the Carbonetics has issues, lifespan mostly, even though its improved over most. Obviously twins and triples shift good but trade off some drivability or decel noise that some find unbearable.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question, what is the comp part number for the new clutch, i.e does it fall under the 0100 stage 2 or the 2100 stage 2?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Its an updated version of the 0100. I like it so much I have a large stock order coming. The decel noise is 1/2 or more less then most unsprung multi disc. I can not tell a difference on this clutch from sprung to unsprung on take off.

I believe from what comp is telling me we will be the 1st to have these on the shelf since we did the testing for them. Since I am happy hoping the last testing in this car for awhile

Last edited by Lucas English; Feb 26, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Tempting tempting...I'm about to order one up but can't decide between sprung or unsprung
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

If you want faster shifting then the unsprung for sure.

At this point I am pushing the unsprung more the sprung for the avg guy who wants more performance.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I appreciate the advice. Is the sprung version "silent" (as in equivalent to stock) or is there still some decel buzz?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
I appreciate the advice. Is the sprung version "silent" (as in equivalent to stock) or is there still some decel buzz?
I have the sprung version and no noise at all that i can hear, its very nice that way, great street clutch(and holds power). I have had the high rpm shifting issues with it though. So the unsprung street disc sounds very tempting.

Quick Reply: Comp has done it again an even better Stg 2 clutch option