Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

O2 dump louder at idle/cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
Make sure you're using the right gasket. The stock gasket is not divided and will allow exhaust gas to flow up from the down pipe into the wastegate port. The o2 housing should have come with a divided gasket. ...This is actually a VERY common call we get because people think the WG is opening....
-Michael
Usually, I don't like having to agree with Michael. But, he is probably right. If an undivided gasket is installed between O2 hsg and DP, you could get exhaust gas crossover from the turbine exit area into the neighboring flapper exit area of the turbine housing and thus out through the dump tube. This exhaust crossover would take place even at idle and has nothing to do with WG spring tension, as it would take place and be audible, even with the flapper valve tightly shut as it is independent of bypass flow.

Last edited by sparky; Jun 2, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have to check over a few things. The gasket i have should be fine as its been like this since I first drove it down the street after then install so I don't think its blown out. BTW its a muse dump and came with a divided gasket.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by funyun
I'll have to check over a few things. The gasket i have should be fine as its been like this since I first drove it down the street after then install so I don't think its blown out. BTW its a muse dump and came with a divided gasket.
OK, so it's a divided gasket and your sure it is not blown. The DP/dump flange fasteners are snug, as well? Then as the others above have stated it is possibly a result of insufficient WG spring pressure. Try adjusting the actuator rod tighter.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about the repeated post.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't had much time to check out the car lately but popped the hood the other day as I was walking past it. I started it up and pushed on the wastegate arm a bit in the direction of closing it. The sound went away and the air stopped coming out at idle. When I get more time I'm hoping if I preload the arm some more it solves the problem.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Funyun did preloading the arm more fix your problem? I’m having the same problem with my o2 dump and exhaust is straight coming out of the tube at idle.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Quattlebot
Funyun did preloading the arm more fix your problem? I’m having the same problem with my o2 dump and exhaust is straight coming out of the tube at idle.
If your Wastegate is open at idle you have bigger problems. As in almost no boost being made problems. Sounds like a gasket leak.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 07:56 AM

Got it figured out. Previous owner never preloaded the wastegate at all. It was just sitting on the clip. I could pull it off and put it on with my fingers. Preloaded it myself and now it’s quiet. All is good!
The following users liked this post:
High_PSI (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Quattlebot
Got it figured out. Previous owner never preloaded the wastegate at all. It was just sitting on the clip. I could pull it off and put it on with my fingers. Preloaded it myself and now it’s quiet. All is good!

I bet it drives a HELL of a lot better now huh?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 09:29 AM

Way better! Drives smoother and builds boost easier. Doesn’t sound like **** when cruising or at idle.
The following users liked this post:
High_PSI (Jun 27, 2019)