Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Stainless Housing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I would assume the green now comes with the 67mm turbine.
Hrm.. Good thinkin Lincoln
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jason42003
I understand the benefits of this setup and that it creates the ultimate stock frame setup with little to no boost creep with an already great turbo. But my personal problem is that it's no longer a easy bolt up affair. With all the extra stuff needed it defeats the ease of install. It would be nice if fp still offered at least the option of using the stock housing on an exchange basis at the very least for those of us that would like a great turbo but the ease of install of a straight swap. But still have the new housing for those that don't mind spending a few extra dollars and work for the ultimate setup. But with that said good luck to fp and keep up the good work developing great products for our cars.
I beg to differ. If they plan to offer a bolt on o2 housing this is still a better deal. Anyone who still uses the stock o2 housing on any FP turbo is just holding the turbo back from its true glory. Even if you have an aftermarket one the benefits of a larger wastegate can be enough to justify making the switch. If it comes push to shove I have a brand new FP red with the older housing and am willing to trade :P and we can even work in the Toxicfab dump into the trade.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in for the logs. housing looks ace forced performance!!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:48 PM

Well i hope not bc the whole reason i wanted a green over a red is the smaller turbine really...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Any plans or ETA on the Zero being released to the public with this housing? I assume the Zephyr is just bigger than the Zero but has anyone heard much about it yet?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BoredDSM
I beg to differ. If they plan to offer a bolt on o2 housing this is still a better deal. Anyone who still uses the stock o2 housing on any FP turbo is just holding the turbo back from its true glory. Even if you have an aftermarket one the benefits of a larger wastegate can be enough to justify making the switch. If it comes push to shove I have a brand new FP red with the older housing and am willing to trade :P and we can even work in the Toxicfab dump into the trade.
I dont agree with your opinion .holding back "true glory"

true glory of bolt on housings is they are twin scroll and replace the factory bolt in turbo with no changes. "holding the turbo back" comes with a huge benefit. low end torque and low end spool. there will be a very substantial loss is spool with these turbos.

"better deal" ....while the turbo itself doesnt cost more. its certainly gonna cost another 700 to be able to run it. I have never had internal wastegate issues that would benefit from adding an expensive, heavy, ugly external gate.

doesnt seem like the way forward to me. but I dont like pushing turbos for max performance. I like getting good use from an expensive turbo. I spent 40 hours labor on my evo 1 turbo setup so I could enjoy the benefits of the factory bolt on TS turbo. there were plenty of bolt on open scroll options available I didnt waste my time because TS is restrictive. It adds a ball of joy to those who enjoy driving their car everyday and care about response and factory cast reliability.

I 100% believe FP was not wasting their time with this new housing. there will be plenty of customers who will enjoy the less restrictive housing. but lets call it what it is. a change. lets not label that change good for everyone.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 21, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A stock O2 housing doesn't help anything on any factory style Turbo. Even a stock 8 turbo has gains from a better one.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This forum is ridiculous haha. I think it's a great design. Right now it looks like you have to redesign your whole exhaust system but give FP a chance to work with the fabricators to finish the kit. Than we will see the whole picture.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true glory of bolt on housings is they are twin scroll and replace the factory bolt in turbo with no changes. "holding the turbo back" comes with a huge benefit. low end torque and low end spool. there will be a very substantial loss is spool with these turbos.
Do you have access to data that the rest of us don't? If so, please share. I haven't seen any proof that these housing decrease or increase spool compared to their cast twin scroll predecessors as of yet. Like any new design or advancement ( manifolds, fuel rails, cams, etc ), I am holding my judgement until I see some back to back comparisons. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Now with that being said, I have a hell of a lot of trust in the FP crew, especially their fearless leader. I have faith that they would not release ANYTHING to the general public with their name stamped on it that hasn't been tested so many ways from Sunday that they knew exactly the impact of the design. I know for a fact this housing has been in the works for a while. Why a while? Because Robert and the crew want to get it right right from the start.

If they felt confident enough to make this the standard housing going forward, I have to assume that they truly believe it adds a ton of value throughout the range with very little loss of capabilities from the cast twin scroll and have the proof to back it up. Once these get into the hands of the public, I think we'll start seeing some "real world" data.

I 100% believe FP was not wasting their time with this new housing. there will be plenty of customers who will enjoy the less restrictive housing. but lets call it what it is. a change. lets not label that change good for everyone.

Very true. Change doesn't always sit right with everyone, especially when the pre-change situation worked "just fine". We all have different tolerances for change and different levels of evidence or push to make a change. That's for us as consumers to decide. Manufacturers and builders can't wait. They innovate or they die. It behooves those folks to institute change for the better based on the mass appeal and performance. So no, this change won't be for everyone as this thread has already shown. But it certainly fits in the "move business and technology forward" theme that FP has stuck to in the past.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Hrm.. Good thinkin Lincoln
94, the green is 67 now per fp's website.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
94, the green is 67 now per fp's website.
If the Green is a 67mm now I really do wanna see the data logs because I wanna see the spool characteristics of it. I feel like with the new housing and a bigger 67mm turbine wheel it'll be sacrificing quick spool for top end. Can't wait for some data logs, graph overlays, or a back to back comparison.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, would there be any benefits from possibly modifying the exhaust manifold port so that the step isn't so sharp? Maybe putting a knife edge on the center divider?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
trev , I dont have any data from this housing. but my main point is the new housing is not for me irregardless of how it works. to run this new turbo will cost an additional : wastegate + 275 and custom downpipe +500-800. thats a pretty hefty increase in bolt on turbo cost.

I have seen plenty of data of same compressor wheels with varies turbine hot sides. for instance the hta76 compressor wheel. thats the 54.8mm 7 blade compressor that comes on FP red and hta76 turbos. the best three results on this board are from Drifto, dave buschurs car, and chris fp red setup. all made close to 600whp dynojet.
drifto used 1.06 twin scroll, buschur used .82 tial open, and chris used factory FP red. the prettiest of the three results for me was chris car. with monster torque at 4000rpm. the other two had better high rm power at the cost of spool and low end torque. this housing will be no different. the results will be like bushurs setup. .82 open scroll tial.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

trev , I dont have any data from this housing. but my main point is the new housing is not for me irregardless of how it works. to run this new turbo will cost an additional : wastegate + 275 and custom downpipe +500-800. thats a pretty hefty increase in bolt on turbo cost.

I have seen plenty of data of same compressor wheels with varies turbine hot sides. for instance the hta76 compressor wheel. thats the 54.8mm 7 blade compressor that comes on FP red and hta76 turbos. the best three results on this board are from Drifto, dave buschurs car, and chris fp red setup. all made close to 600whp dynojet.
drifto used 1.06 twin scroll, buschur used .82 tial open, and chris used factory FP red. the prettiest of the three results for me was chris car. with monster torque at 4000rpm. the other two had better high rm power at the cost of spool and low end torque. this housing will be no different. the results will be like bushurs setup. .82 open scroll tial.
The stock housing was fp niche. Honestly they can say whatever they want. Fact is if i wanted a external wg and a bunch of non stock crap i would get a pte or a garret kit. WE LOVE OUR TS. Atleast keep it an option. If 600 hp is holding me back with max spool at 4k. Ill take it. I have one question for fp. Im willing to bet turbo lab and kinguwa are stoked you guts left that market wide open. Who releases a manifold with zero o2 and downpipe options. Something clearly is happining at fp that they dont want to talk about. Because this is sloppy, rushed, and lacking any real info
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tevenor
Do you have access to data that the rest of us don't? If so, please share. I haven't seen any proof that these housing decrease or increase spool compared to their cast twin scroll predecessors as of yet. Like any new design or advancement ( manifolds, fuel rails, cams, etc ), I am holding my judgement until I see some back to back comparisons. The proof is in the pudding as they say.
FP obviously hasn't released their data yet. However, we can extrapolate based on what happened with Mikey's car, that there will be a loss in spool. On Mikey's black, converting the OEM twin scroll housing to a single scroll resulted in a loss of 600rpms in spool.

I will wait for the data like everyone else, but like 94AWDcoupe says, I am looking for a spool/torque street monster with either a Green, Red or a BBK-B. And from what I have seen, a 2.3 is too much engine for a Green (turbo falls off up top) and the BBK-K spools better than a Red.

Quick Reply: FP Stainless Housing