Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPMs don't drop when clutch is in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPMs don't drop when clutch is in?

Alright guys so I've had my IX, 5-speed, for about 6k miles now, it has 21k on it in total. I got it and had some tranny problems, ended up installing an exedy stage 2 kit with a custom made 6-puck from a local shop, installed solid under hood shifter bushings, put it back together and now I'm here.

Attempted to adjust the clutch today (under the dash, my god that was a PITA), and no matter what the engagement point is at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Is that normal and nothing I can do about it?

Second issue, since I got the car if I'm going pretty hard on the throttle, anything over 50% really, once I put in the clutch the RPMs hang for a little before coming down, making me have to shift slower. It still does this even with the new clutch.

Is this all normal evo behavior? If not, what the heck is wrong?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iStubz
Alright guys so I've had my IX, 5-speed, for about 6k miles now, it has 21k on it in total. I got it and had some tranny problems, ended up installing an exedy stage 2 kit with a custom made 6-puck from a local shop, installed solid under hood shifter bushings, put it back together and now I'm here.

Attempted to adjust the clutch today (under the dash, my god that was a PITA), and no matter what the engagement point is at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Is that normal and nothing I can do about it?

Second issue, since I got the car if I'm going pretty hard on the throttle, anything over 50% really, once I put in the clutch the RPMs hang for a little before coming down, making me have to shift slower. It still does this even with the new clutch.

Is this all normal evo behavior? If not, what the heck is wrong?
That "custom made 6-puck" makes me uncomfortable lol

But, since you mention your RPMs aren't dropping with your clutch in, I'm betting you're experiencing clutch drag.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...kills-synchros

Get a proper clutch Nothing custom. Just the usual off the shelf Exedy, QM, ACT, Competition clutches should do just fine.

Also that engagement issue is kind of odd, never had that problem before.

I would get the clutch changed ASAP because if it does turn out to be clutch drag then at some point you might be looking at rebuilding your transmission.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
That "custom made 6-puck" makes me uncomfortable lol

But, since you mention your RPMs aren't dropping with your clutch in, I'm betting you're experiencing clutch drag.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...kills-synchros

Get a proper clutch Nothing custom. Just the usual off the shelf Exedy, QM, ACT, Competition clutches should do just fine.

Also that engagement issue is kind of odd, never had that problem before.

I would get the clutch changed ASAP because if it does turn out to be clutch drag then at some point you might be looking at rebuilding your transmission.
It's definitely not the clutch, it's from a reputable company that's been around for years and it's top quality. And it did this on the stock clutch.

Last edited by iStubz; Mar 11, 2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

for a little..? lets say for 1 sec..?

car is stock/modified?

i believe that under certain circumstances yes its normal behavior...

Michael.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by maikcat
for a little..? lets say for 1 sec..?

car is stock/modified?

i believe that under certain circumstances yes its normal behavior...

Michael.
About one second.
Car currently has (as far as I know) Perrin fuel rail, (injectors?,) o2 housing, downpipe, test pipe, resonators and stock muffler, AEM intake, injen IC piping.
No history from previous owner, got the car with the exhaust and fuel rail in it.

Stock BCS, only boosts to 14psi according to my defi gauge, no leaks, healthy turbo.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iStubz
It's definitely not the clutch, it's from a reputable company that's been around for years and it's top quality. And it did this on the stock clutch.
Aaah ok, because from the way you worded your sentence and how I understood it, it's as if you're saying the 6 puck was made by your local shop, which is unlikely, but you never know.

As Micheal mentioned, if its a second or around that time frame that's normal. No issues with going into gear?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
Aaah ok, because from the way you worded your sentence and how I understood it, it's as if you're saying the 6 puck was made by your local shop, which is unlikely, but you never know.

As Micheal mentioned, if its a second or around that time frame that's normal. No issues with going into gear?
Goes into gear fine, tried the clutch drag test, no drag. And I'm in SoCal so most of te local shops are big performance shops haha.
So the little rpm hang is just normal then?

Another thing I noticed today, whenever the clutch isn't in, you can hear the throw-out bearing, does it break in and get quieter? It was brand new and it's been about 60 miles.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:18 PM

Update: the more gas I give it, the longer the RPMS hang, up to about 3 full seconds and will come down when I start to engage the clutch again.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sounds like a the normal rpm hang evos have, take it to a tuner and he should be able to get rid of it. but if its not going into gear thats a whole other problem. im assuming your rpm range is from 4k-6ish then it hangs right?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by tbaird58
sounds like a the normal rpm hang evos have, take it to a tuner and he should be able to get rid of it. but if its not going into gear thats a whole other problem. im assuming your rpm range is from 4k-6ish then it hangs right?
It appears to hang longer the higher up in RPM I am, it'll even hang at 2k. It goes in gear, I just hate having to wait for the RPMs to drop.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
try talking to your tuner and see what he says, ive never had it hang that low before. maybe your throttle body needs to be looked at maybe its gunked up and hold the flap open when you let off the gas