Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another decel noise thread - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another decel noise thread - opinions please

TL;DR: I would just like someone to take a look at the videos and tell me if the noise that I'm experiencing is consistent with what one would expect from the "normal" deceleration noises. Seems way too loud to me.

Happens in any gear when I take my foot off of the gas, in gear, and let the engine slow the car. Ive had the car for 9,000 miles and it has always had this problem.

I just had the transmission rebuilt because a shaft bearing had blown - new synchros, bearings, springs, etc. The gears all looked great. I thought that surely the bearing had one foot in the grave and was causing the noise and that a rebuild would resolve it. Well, 100 miles with the rebuilt trans and the noise has come back and I'm losing my mind. The clutch I used before the rebuild was the ACT HD street, and I replaced the clutch with the same exact ACT.

I haven't done any hard pulls or hard driving since the rebuild so I feel like a second immediately failing bearing is pretty unlikely. I've put the car on a lift with a stethoscope a year ago and the source of the noise is almost definitely the transmission, don't think It's from the transfer case. It shifts great and no other problems aside from this.

I've read just about every thread on evolutionM about the issue and I understand that it's typical to have some noise, but I couldn't find many threads with an example of the noise. Most of the videos had been taken down or hosting had expired. It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some second opinions on the noise in these videos below.

These don't really make it clear just how loud this **** is
Third gear:
Third gear, windows rolled up:
Fifth gear, higher pitch noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAesYMTH9Eg
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't really help you but I've heard the type of transmission fluid could also be the problem that's causing the wine
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I've only ever used the OEM diaqueen. It's hard to imagine that something like trans oil would have an effect on this god awful noise. I mean maybe if it was a humming or droning noise, but this definitely sounds mechanical to me?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
That whine is def not normal. Decel noise on these cars are but you'll here more of a groaning vs a whine like I can hear in your videos.

Swapping drivetrain fluids out certainly cannot hurt. after that I'd say something is chewed to hell
Old Feb 26, 2015, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that sounds horrible, does it whine at all while ur driving, not decelerating?
u should change ur fluids. an easy check would be to do one by one and see if the noise goes away. ie tranny first, drive around a few days, same noise, do transfer case, repeat, same noise, rear diff. thats what i would do.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for watching.

I replaced all of the fluids - twice. Once before the trans rebuild and once after (last week). Topped off and made sure the levels were correct a few days ago. Considering taking apart the transfer case, unsure what else to do.

E: It NEVER makes a noise when driving, coasting in neutral, or sitting. I can only reproduce this noise when decelerating while in gear

Last edited by butte; Feb 26, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else have experience with a noise like this?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes have a similar noise with my evo 7 on decel only and I also noticed it after I had the transmission rebuilt but I also fitted a lightweight flywheel. Does your noise also go away when u disengage the clutch? Have u had any luck finding the problem yet?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Leemo91
Does your noise also go away when u disengage the clutch?
When I put my foot on the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch, the noise disappears.

I haven't figured it out yet, don't have the money at the moment so I make sure to not decelerate in gear. If you find a solution please post it here though