Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible t case leak

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possible t case leak

Was gonna change all the fluids in my 03 evo 8 NON ACD and noticed that their is oil on the rear part of the tcase/front of the driveshaft. From being underneath the car I can see that the bolts where the driveshaft bolts up to the rear diff have been unbolted. Now I have read different threads and came to a couple conclusions.

1. The o-ring that leads to the tcase from the tranny broke and tranny fluid is going in the tcase leaving through the breather on top of the tcase this would be the worst case scenario.

2. The previews owner put too much diaqueen in and it just leaked through the breather, not a problem.

3. Now this is what my issue is. In the attached file the bolts that are circled, is there any type of gasket between both of those sets of bolts, maybe those are leaking as I see the most fresher oil around the area where those 2 parts bolt up, I can't find whether there is a gasket or not though so if anyone could chime in that would be great. Also if anyone knows that torque specs for those bolts please let me know as I have looked for them but to no avail.

Either later today or early tomorrow I will drain my tranny fluid and measure how many quarts there was in there, would that be a good indicator if the o-ring is bad and forcing fluid in my t-case ?

Possible t case leak-oem_evo_transfer_case.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mrZERIz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QjU0754.jpg

Last edited by TomekEVO; May 8, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Just pull the fill plug. If fluid drains it is overfull. If not, add fluid until fluid comes back out.

Most likely, if the car has had a clutch recently, the little o-ring at the top (at the bottom in your picture) is missing. When I was doing my clutch that little o-ring kept appearing on the floor under the car. I finally glued it into place with weatherstrip adhesive. No leaks here.
Old May 9, 2015, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Just pull the fill plug. If fluid drains it is overfull. If not, add fluid until fluid comes back out.

Most likely, if the car has had a clutch recently, the little o-ring at the top (at the bottom in your picture) is missing. When I was doing my clutch that little o-ring kept appearing on the floor under the car. I finally glued it into place with weatherstrip adhesive. No leaks here.
Can you tell me what oring?
Old May 10, 2015, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TomekEVO
Can you tell me what oring?
Six bolts mount the tcase to the transmission. Looking at the first picture, locate the center bolt hole at the bottom (actually the top, the tcase pictuered here is upside down). Notice the small depression above it with a hole at its center. This depression takes a small o-ring. Many a tcase has been mounted with this o-ring missing. They all leaked.
Old May 13, 2015, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Six bolts mount the tcase to the transmission. Looking at the first picture, locate the center bolt hole at the bottom (actually the top, the tcase pictuered here is upside down). Notice the small depression above it with a hole at its center. This depression takes a small o-ring. Many a tcase has been mounted with this o-ring missing. They all leaked.
That's what I thought, I have some free time tomorrow and will take care of this if thats the issue. Also do you think its possible to replace the oring with out completely taking off the t case from the trans but sliding it enough to get my hand in there or its a must to remove the 2 CV shafts and the shaft that is in the trans that has the threaded end ?

Last edited by TomekEVO; May 13, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TomekEVO
That's what I thought, I have some free time tomorrow and will take care of this if thats the issue. Also do you think its possible to replace the oring with out completely taking off the t case from the trans but sliding it enough to get my hand in there or its a must to remove the 2 CV shafts and the shaft that is in the trans that has the threaded end ?
I've never tried to do that so dunno.

If I were doing it I'd break the knuckle at the pinch bolt on both sides (you will probably need to also unbolt the sway bar at the control arm unless you wish to pry). Having the knuckle free at the bottom will provide enough room to pop both axles out of the transfer case. No need to touch the axle nuts. Wire the axles out of the way and pull the driver's side shaft.

Last edited by barneyb; May 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 14, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

I've never tried to do that so dunno.

If I were doing it I'd break the knuckle at the pinch bolt on both sides (you will probably need to also unbolt the sway bar at the control arm unless you wish to pry). Having the knuckle free at the bottom will provide enough room to pop both axles out of the transfer case. No need to touch the axle nuts. Wire the axles out of the way and pull the driver's side shaft.
Yup opened the fill plug and bam **** load of fluid came out, totaling over 1 qt of fluid form the t case it self after opening the drain bolt. Couldn't open the trans drain plug because I come to find out I do not have a 24mm wrench But yeah I am gonna get the 3 seals on where the transfer case connects to the trans. If I am in there might as well change all 3 seals that are there.