Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone have trouble with the GSC lifters keeping the valves open???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The lash adjusters are the trash collectors of the engine. They are like Las Vegas when it comes to stuff staying there. Hence the cleaning section in the shop manual. What you really need is a clean engine and if you buy used (no service history saying oil changes every 3K) you probably can't know.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Unique (Apr 24, 2019)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The lash adjusters are the trash collectors of the engine. They are like Las Vegas when it comes to stuff staying there. Hence the cleaning section in the shop manual. What you really need is a clean engine and if you buy used (no service history saying oil changes every 3K) you probably can't know.
Yeah totally understand. So far I’ve pulled the mivec checked the screen and also the bypass valve on the other end of the mivec oil feed. Changed to kelford cams from m2 no difference in noise. Same “tack tack tack”
I normally run wix filter and 10-30 mobile one. Changed only to see if thicker oil helped and it did NOT I tried 20w-50 oil and absolutely no difference if any made it worse.

Next step is drop the pan and check the bearings. Hell idk what else would cause to fail new lash adjuster. It just doesn’t seem at all coming from below....it’s all valve train noise.

I've been dealing with DSMs for 15yrs so lifters and valve train noises are no stranger.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Purchased new a 1992 6-4 combo and ran Mobil conventional oil, the least expensive at the time. The lifters got so gummed up and noisy, timing was pulled and at a stop sign it was like being stuck in snow except it was summer. Pulled the valve cover to discover a sludge mess. About this time Mobil started advertising on their oil containers, "New and improved with more detergent". Yeah, good idea. Anyway, had to install new lifters.

With that experience, for my 2003 Evo, which I also purchased new, its been nothing but oil changes every 3K and never any lifter noise, knock on wood.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 02:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Unique
Yeah totally understand. So far I’ve pulled the mivec checked the screen and also the bypass valve on the other end of the mivec oil feed. Changed to kelford cams from m2 no difference in noise. Same “tack tack tack”
I normally run wix filter and 10-30 mobile one. Changed only to see if thicker oil helped and it did NOT I tried 20w-50 oil and absolutely no difference if any made it worse.

Next step is drop the pan and check the bearings. Hell idk what else would cause to fail new lash adjuster. It just doesn’t seem at all coming from below....it’s all valve train noise.

I've been dealing with DSMs for 15yrs so lifters and valve train noises are no stranger.
I've installed three sets of lifters. All tick, pretty loud. Sometimes more than others and ALWAYS after I drive the car hard. I gave up trying to figure out why.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 05:40 AM

Hello.

I have changed my oem lifter (was ticking) to gsc zero tick lifter last week.

After got it done, I found out the engine sound difference, it is very loud deep sound from the engine when I am pushing after 3500rpm, I feel the engine is running very rich.....

I believe the sound is not from the intake and exhaust, very feel like from the engine, is it normal? As I read some review in evo forum , some ppl say as the gsc lifter is a bit higher than the oem one, it will casue the value cant be fully close, is it true and is it gonna effect/damage the engine?

But this loud sound make me feel Scary to push.
Please help and what is you guys experience with.

​​

Thank you very much
Charles
Old Sep 29, 2021, 07:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by charlesw39
Hello.

After got it done, I found out the engine sound difference, it is very loud deep sound from the engine when I am pushing after 3500rpm, I feel the engine is running very rich.....

I believe the sound is not from the intake and exhaust, very feel like from the engine, is it normal? As I read some review in evo forum , some ppl say as the gsc lifter is a bit higher than the oem one, it will casue the value cant be fully close, is it true and is it gonna effect/damage the engine?

​​

Thank you very much
Charles
Hi Charles @charlesw39 , welcome aboard the boards

Are you running the GSC cams as well along w/the lifters? You say it maybe running rich? Do you have an AFR gauge to verify?

Cheers, Joe
Old Sep 29, 2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hi Charles @charlesw39 , welcome aboard the boards

Are you running the GSC cams as well along w/the lifters? You say it maybe running rich? Do you have an AFR gauge to verify?

Cheers, Joe

Hi joe.
My engine is all stock, only a light tune back a while ago, 1.6 bar 190kw atw.
Yea. The engine sound completly change after Gsc lifter, werid.... I heard some ppl say gsc lifter is bit higher than oem one, so the value will stay open..... Not sure is it happen to me or value stay open will change the engine sound after 3500rpm? Feel like vtec kick in 😂
Getting worried. Going to install afr gauge next week
Old Sep 29, 2021, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I've installed three sets of lifters. All tick, pretty loud. Sometimes more than others and ALWAYS after I drive the car hard. I gave up trying to figure out why.
I see. My oem one was ticking, and getting worse, but I notice to use 10w 40 it help a bit.
Once I change the gsc lifter, ticking sound gone.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 09:04 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I see. My oem one was ticking, and getting worse, but I notice to use 10w 40 it help a bit.
Once I change the gsc lifter, ticking sound gone.
I installed ANOTHER set of lifters and the sound is now gone. Finally.

Hello.

​​

Thank you very much
Charles
​​​​​​​Rod knock?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I installed ANOTHER set of lifters and the sound is now gone. Finally.

Rod knock?
​​​​​​​Hmm, could hear any knocking noise, just hearing the engine sound is deep is heavy after 3500rpm...
Old Sep 29, 2021, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
go back to OEM...