Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Leak from Transfer case/drive shaft?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Leak from Transfer case/drive shaft?

Here is what we found recently while my car was on the lift. Is there a seal I can change in the transfer case that may have gone bad? Is it as easy as removing the driveshaft and swapping the seal? The red is the fluid in question.

Old Jun 16, 2017, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Red fluid is red line heavy shock proof. Fluid will come out of the tcase when you pull the drive shaft, and it will need topped off when you're done.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Couple of reasons why it could leak, can be overfill, or bad seals... the seal shaft seal part number is MR581295.
By the year of ur car I can tell urs is equipped with acd. You definitely do not want to run redline gear oil as that will ruin your acd clutch pack unit, is that red fluid redline or the acd atf fluid? Get it checked out if it's acd fluid u might wanna stop driving before u blow the ring and pinion.
If it's redline, drain and fill with oem fluid only if it's acd t case....

If it's acd atf fluid u might need a full t case rebuild... including all seals, bearings, etc..
regardless of hp always run mitsu gear oil on acd t cases.
(I can get u all oem part numbers and possibly cheaper "sale" price than most sites.... let me know
Old Jun 16, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tauro91
Couple of reasons why it could leak, can be overfill, or bad seals... the seal shaft seal part number is MR581295.
By the year of ur car I can tell urs is equipped with acd. You definitely do not want to run redline gear oil as that will ruin your acd clutch pack unit, is that red fluid redline or the acd atf fluid? Get it checked out if it's acd fluid u might wanna stop driving before u blow the ring and pinion.

If it's acd atf fluid u might need a full t case rebuild... including all seals, bearings, etc..
(I can get u all oem part numbers and possibly cheaper "sale" price than most sites.... let me know
Ive also heard to not run redline with ACD, its from previous owner who took it to RRE, I feel like they would know better. Im not sure if its redline or ATF thats leaking out, I do have a high pitched noise I hear right when I push the gas pedal, but its not very loud you can barely hear it and doesnt happen on decel. I think im gonna drain Tcase, pull the shaft and check/replace that seal, then replace with OEM fluid
Old Jun 16, 2017, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tauro91

Also, I dont believe it is the ATF because my fluid level seems good.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Shock proof won't hurt the ACD.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Jack's claims it will..
Old Jun 17, 2017, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Jacks is wrong.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You can remove the front section of the drive shaft by unbolting it at the first flange. Mark the orientation so you don't put it back out of balance. Also, the FSM instructs no lubricant on the bolt threads.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Few issues:

1) Case cracked. I've recently had to replace part of the transfer case because it had a crack.

2) Overfill. There should be around .5L of oil and if you put more it will run out. Been there done that

3) Every time you pull away driveshaft you'll 50% probably ruin the seal. Just replace it.

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Here is what we found recently while my car was on the lift. Is there a seal I can change in the transfer case that may have gone bad? Is it as easy as removing the driveshaft and swapping the seal? The red is the fluid in question.

https://vimeo.com/221960841
Old Jun 18, 2017, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I fill my t-case with blue redline transmission oil. ACD. What do I do wrong?

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Old Jun 18, 2017, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lol

Originally Posted by KOOLER
I fill my t-case with blue redline transmission oil. ACD. What do I do wrong?
Fill it with the oem fluid, for acd u don't want that thick of fluid because the t case has very tiny oil passages which shockproof gets stuck and clogged.... As per redline states this is only to be used in racing dogbox transmission or such that has splash lubrication type. As far as a non acd t case I'd run heavy shockproof as long as u change it often.... Remember this is heavy duty track/drag racing fluids... Oem fluids are specifically engineered and formulated for our Evo for years...
Same with transmission shockproof is not meant to be used in our synchro transmission.