Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo woes..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 07:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
The green is a great turbo. Better suited for track duty, just less fun everywhere else.
Odd that your 71 made less power than stock, even in heat.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh the Hta71 made 427 when. It was 60* out. It's just that it hasn't been that cool out yet since I first put it on. I was pretty disappointed that it could get over 400 in the summer though. I looked into a meth kit and actually had one ordered but then I bought an ls1 for my 240. So that's going to be my fast car now
Old Aug 28, 2017, 01:32 PM
kaj

My summers are 100-110° and I made well over 400whp. How strange.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Not bashing FP, but everyone raves about the 71hta like it's not an old Frankenstein cousin. It's fractions from a 20g with a td05 turbine. Base exducer even matches at 68mm, inducer off by less than 1.5mm. The compressor is billet yes but the hot side is still limiting just like the old days. Literally sneeze on the compressor housing with a lathe and it's a 20g with a stock td05. Running a higher flowing 9 blade tdo5 or any td06sl2 makes so much more sense and makes 400awhp an easy task versus are rare news worthy event.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The green is a great turbo. Better suited for track duty, just less fun everywhere else.
Odd that your 71 made less power than stock, even in heat.
Maybe for you but look at average power/Torque. You make the green/red out to be some huge turbo. lol Just stating this for others that are chiming in.

Its unfortunate you've had so many issues with your car/turbo.

The stock block is going to be limited to 400ft lbs. The stock turbo or HTA will make that around 4000 if you are on E85. Try not to be so concerned with max boost at 3200rpm. Its also hard on the engine to process the air and its puts stress on the rods with so much tq and not much rpm. Stock or HTA comes on and then the tq falls .

A green MHI is going to spool 200-300 slower then the others but carry the TQ and ride the 400tq limit much longer then the other turbo's with proper boost control.
The Red is 200-300 behind that with both turbo's being "ON" below 4000 rpm with Mivec. Average power is important. Coming back on the power well on a shift is also important.

Most of us don't find ourselves below 3500 in these cars.

For the money the HTA is a good bang for buck but the green/red is absolutely going to blow it and the stock turbo away and be alot of fun with the MHI housing.

Last edited by Abacus; Aug 28, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 06:39 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Not bashing FP, but everyone raves about the 71hta like it's not an old Frankenstein cousin. It's fractions from a 20g with a td05 turbine. Base exducer even matches at 68mm, inducer off by less than 1.5mm. The compressor is billet yes but the hot side is still limiting just like the old days. Literally sneeze on the compressor housing with a lathe and it's a 20g with a stock td05. Running a higher flowing 9 blade tdo5 or any td06sl2 makes so much more sense and makes 400awhp an easy task versus are rare news worthy event.
Because it bolts right onto the car without machining, it makes REALLY good power and torque for very little money, and it compliments the care very well. It's a no-brainer upgrade for anyone not wanting to go crazy with power. The fact that it's installed in an hour or two, in your own garage, is a bonus.

Originally Posted by Abacus
Maybe for you but look at average power/Torque. You make the green/red out to be some huge turbo. lol Just stating this for others that are chiming in.

Its unfortunate you've had so many issues with your car/turbo.

The stock block is going to be limited to 400ft lbs. The stock turbo or HTA will make that around 4000 if you are on E85. Try not to be so concerned with max boost at 3200rpm. Its also hard on the engine to process the air and its puts stress on the rods with so much tq and not much rpm. Stock or HTA comes on and then the tq falls .

A green MHI is going to spool 200-300 slower then the others but carry the TQ and ride the 400tq limit much longer then the other turbo's with proper boost control.
The Red is 200-300 behind that with both turbo's being "ON" below 4000 rpm with Mivec. Average power is important. Coming back on the power well on a shift is also important.

Most of us don't find ourselves below 3500 in these cars.

For the money the HTA is a good bang for buck but the green/red is absolutely going to blow it and the stock turbo away and be alot of fun with the MHI housing.
I'm absolutely not making the red and green to be huge turbos. I've been very deliberate in how I express my opinion of them. Unless I inadvertently implied something I didn't mean, that is. If I did, then I take it back. They are awesome turbos.
I'm not concerned with making "X" amount of boost at a given RPM, just listing it as reference. For me, making 20psi at 3200 RPM literally puts a smile on my face. As opposed to the 3600 with my Green. I know that's not much to some people. Negligible, really. But I noticed. I try to say as many times as I can: it's just my preference, which really, really, REALLY isn't the same as most people. I just couldn't care less about dyno numbers. I like my car driving a certain way. That's the only reason I like smaller turbos.
Yes, the Green and Red "pull to redline", but if I'm already reaching my goal with a smaller turbo, then it doesn't matter. for me and my preference. Why give up low end and make the same power?
I'm below 3500 any time I drive around town, in tight turn on an autox course, in the mountains and anywhere I don't want to wind out the engine. So I have all that torque and spool but still make over 400whp. I'm okay with that. The Green was more appropriate on the road course.
The Green and Red being more fun is completely subjective. It's not the case, for some of us. If someone wants to make more power than the HTA71 can make, then of course they would go bigger. I don't.

My goal is to make as much power as I can while keeping the car running how I want. Whatever power level that is, it is.
Most people have a certain WHP number they want to reach and will sacrifice what they need to to get there.
Two completely different ways of building a car.
You and I are discussing different approaches, so of course our reasoning won't be the same.