Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Garrett G-Series turbos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The shop that posted the dyno graph said it made peak boost at 3700rpm. I'm not sure changing the hot side is going to bring peak post down 500 rpm's, nor am I sure that it will bring the torque plateau down that far.

The only graph they show their is a boost threshold comparison- startin from low rpm and going WOT. When I think transient response, I want to know time to return to full boost after a shift (can't do that on the Porsche because of the PDK), and time to return to full boost after a mid corner lift. That is transient response.

I get the packaging constraints on some platforms, but the Evo isn't one of them. We also don't run twins. This is an Evo forum, we're talking about Evo's. How this turbo applies to other cars doesn't really matter here..

I'm simply pointing out that like the EFR's, these turbo's just don't seem to deliver in all aspects as promised by the manufacturer.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The shop that posted the dyno graph said it made peak boost at 3700rpm. I'm not sure changing the hot side is going to bring peak post down 500 rpm's, nor am I sure that it will bring the torque plateau down that far.
It would probably have spooled sooner if it was 70* instead of 100* that day. 3700rpm was on a log from the street, not on the dyno. We're really just going to have to wait for someone to show us the .72 results on a cooler day before we'll actually know.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all.
In reality, I do not own an Evo or any other Mitsubishi, but I am very interested in the turbine you are discussing here. Moreover, discussing how I see with knowledge of matter and already with some practical experience that I could not find in general over Internet about that turbo especially in relation to 2.5 TFSI.
I have an Audi with a five cylinder 2.5 TFSI engine. In addition, I am very interested if you tell me what you think about how this G25-660 will work on this engine if you can or understand
My task is to keep engine stock (talking about rods, pistons and any WMI add-ons)
Of course, there is an inter-cooler and a direct-flow exhaust.
However, the question is - will I get 550 hp. on the same boost of 1.5-1.7 bar, which I have now on G25-660, as that person told me here
When comparing the compressor maps of stock BW K16 and G25-660
On stock BW K16 we can get these when measuring at +22

​​​​​In addition, what a/r 72 or 92 will be preferable for that motor on this turbine?
Of course, i want to have an earlier spool than peak power. Because the car mainly is driving over the streets

Thanks to all
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by matheria
​​​​​In addition, what a/r 72 or 92 will be preferable for that motor on this turbine?
Of course, i want to have an earlier spool than peak power. Because the car mainly is driving over the streets

Thanks to all
I would use the 0.72A/R on the G25-660 for two reasons: 1. your engine redline is only 6k rpm, so you need to spool up earlier to get maximum power under the curve. 2. Audi/VW engines tend to make better power on 'small' turbine A/R compared to other engines based on the results I've seen from APR.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I would use the 0.72A/R on the G25-660 for two reasons: 1. your engine redline is only 6k rpm, so you need to spool up earlier to get maximum power under the curve. 2. Audi/VW engines tend to make better power on 'small' turbine A/R compared to other engines based on the results I've seen from APR.
On posted Dyno is only 6k because we map the DSG to shift at this point because the boost is dramatically go down to 1 bar after 6k on the tuning software and to have maximum performance in all driving mods we map it to shift on the peak of boost.
But from factory it is programmed to shift at the red zone start that is 7k
And many tuners who use big turbos map it to shift over 7k. Even close to 8k.

I mean it is not a problem to push it up. But regarding spool - yes. I also think on 72 would be much angrier behave accordingly lows and mids
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

I see we are still waiting for Garrett to bring out larger versions of the "new" G Series .
We've waited something like 28 years for them to improve upon the ancient GT series turbines .
In their promo vids they say keep an eye out for larger versions , still waiting 10 months later ...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still working on it but finally everything fit in the right way. Quite surprisingly, the external frame of the g25 is smaller with respect to evo 9 (or even evo 8) turbo . I hope to test it as soon as possible.

Old Sep 6, 2018, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dany86
Still working on it but finally everything fit in the right way. Quite surprisingly, the external frame of the g25 is smaller with respect to evo 9 (or even evo 8) turbo . I hope to test it as soon as possible.
Nice! Yeah saw some recently, they really do look small considering the flow potential - looking forward to seeing more results to indicate how they perform in the real world
Old Sep 6, 2018, 05:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I'm late to the party, but the 550 interested me. But looking at the price... why wouldn't I just go with an FP HTZ71? That thing will make 500whp.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 06:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm late to the party, but the 550 interested me. But looking at the price... why wouldn't I just go with an FP HTZ71? That thing will make 500whp.
Because it won't. And if it does, it'll be pissed. Back pressure through the roof.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Because it won't. And if it does, it'll be pissed. Back pressure through the roof.
... and probably won't be as responsive, journal bearing and bigger wheels on both sides.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 09:51 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MrLith
... and probably won't be as responsive, journal bearing and bigger wheels on both sides.
You're saying the 550 spools like stock? Now that I gotta see.

Well then I guess I'd go with a Green. Still waaaaay cheaper. I'm not seeing the value in the Garrett units. I'm all for it, if they are worth the price. What am I missing?

Last edited by kaj; Sep 6, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

Well then I guess I'd go with a Green. Still waaaaay cheaper. I'm not seeing the value in the Garrett units. I'm all for it, if they are worth the price. What am I missing?
They may not be as "worth it" for us evo guys because we have stock frame options available at similar performance but for the aftermarket in general, across all platforms, this G series of turbos is really raising the bar potentially dethroning the efr turbos. I think a g25-660 in .72ar and e85 would make a killer power band and do it more efficiently than anything else.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 08:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
They may not be as "worth it" for us evo guys because we have stock frame options available at similar performance but for the aftermarket in general, across all platforms, this G series of turbos is really raising the bar potentially dethroning the efr turbos. I think a g25-660 in .72ar and e85 would make a killer power band and do it more efficiently than anything else.
Makes sense. And it's probably large enough to benefit from being ball bearing.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You're saying a 71HTA spools like stock? But either way, not necessarily - there are two different things, boost threshold and response. I guess as most of the US EVO guys seem into drag racing the whole transient response thing isn't so much of a deal, but a ball bearing turbo with smaller diameter rotating masses seems like a package very likely to offer better transient response which is quite nice for windy roads and general street driving.

Quick Reply: Garrett G-Series turbos