Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOB clip popped off after install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOB clip popped off after install

Hey guys,

So I'm more or less just venting here... but also wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else. I've replaced clutches in a handful of evos now, including my own; twice. It was time for a new clutch so I bought an exedy twin and all the fluids/seals/etc to go with it (Thanks STM!).

On day one I got the trans and everything out. Then the holidays came up, some work stuff, and parts were coming in. A week or two later I got the clutch in and everything prepped to go back together. The next day I got the transmission in without much issue surprisingly (by myself on the floor). I was very careful not to hit the wave clip as usual because i made that mistake before. So I bolted her up, torqued her down, and popped the TOB onto the clip. Everything looked and felt good.

Fast forward a week or so to yesterday afternoon, I put the entire car back together, everything again went pretty smooth for the most part, and filled all of the fluids. At 10:30pm I decided to pull her outta the garage before calling it a night. I went to push the clutch in and I heard a pop as the pedal went to the floor. My eyes got wide, my heart sank, and I knew before confirming what had happened...

I removed the slave cylinder, jacked the car up, and looked into the inspection hole to find the TOB no longer clipped into the wave spring clip. As I moved the clutch fork back and forth, the wave spring clip wiggled around and wouldn't clip back onto the TOB. I think what might have happened was the TOB wasn't fully seated into the clip and when I went to push the clutch in, it popped off of the TOB and the force knocked it off of the wave clip.

I'm pretty tight for free time these days, so naturally I was pretty upset last night. Luckily the hammer didn't find it's way through the windshield, as much as it wanted to. So yeah, there it is... someone hold my hand. lol
Old Feb 11, 2018, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you install a clutch stop or ACT Monoloc?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin4g63
Did you install a clutch stop or ACT Monoloc?
Yes I have the STM clutch fork stop but no I didn't shoot for the ACT Monoloc at first. It's currently in my shopping cart though. I don't think the clutch stop would've prevented it though. It happened as soon as I pressed the clutch in.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

What do you guys think of push/pull conversion vs. the ACT monoloc?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Just get a monoloc. They're bulletproof. I always push the fork by hand to seat the release clip after I have the trans mated to the engine and before I start putting anything back together.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I debated push or pull after having the same issue. Have a brand new QM twin and the now rebuilt Exedy twin HD with polished legs and decided to put the Exedy in with a monoloc. Hoping there are no problems. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Just get a monoloc. They're bulletproof. I always push the fork by hand to seat the release clip after I have the trans mated to the engine and before I start putting anything back together.
yeah I did the same but next time I’ll throw the slave cylinder on and give the pedal a feel to make sure it won’t come off.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Happened to me before, forgot to lock the tb into the clip after the install, finished everything up and went to snap it in and the wave clip was hanging on the input shaft....... Needless to say I was pretty frustrated lol. Get a monolock. Had mine for years no issues
Old Feb 11, 2018, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Happened to me before, forgot to lock the tb into the clip after the install, finished everything up and went to snap it in and the wave clip was hanging on the input shaft....... Needless to say I was pretty frustrated lol. Get a monolock. Had mine for years no issues
Yeah I ain’t about that wave clip life anymore... lol I just ordered a Monoloc, should be here midweek sometime.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Before the ACT Monoloc, I popped my TOB three times with my exedy twin.
Hasn't happened since the monoloc. Thank you ACT for saving me from throwing hammers on my windscreen.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday night I too suffered what happen to the op only my monoloc clip is still in place the TOB came off and I have to remove transmission just to mate them back together what a buzz kill!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was installing a clutch and just at the point where I stab the transmission, I hit the wave clip and it broke, parts falling behind the pressure plate. I had to pull the clutch again to get the junk out. So, went with a monoloc and when clutch time came around again the monoloc wouldn't release. So, yeah, they do hold.