Journal to Ball Bearing turbo. - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Journal to Ball Bearing turbo.

Reply

 
 
 
Old Mar 1, 2018, 06:45 AM
  #1  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Journal to Ball Bearing turbo.



Red line its the new turbo and blue old turbo.
Hello guys, recently I change my blown turbo 6266 journal bearing to a ball bearing.
I bought the turbo used, but the guy who sold, told me was journal and not. Its a ball bearing and hotside its not 66mm. According to PTE its a 68mm, so the turbo its 6268 supposedly.
I made a datalog with the new turbo whithout tune and numbers are low than 6266 journal.
Yes, I know, I need to retune the car, but if the turbo its bigger than the old one, without tune I expected better numbers than before with the same boost dont you think?
The car its ok in afr with 27-28psi and zero knock. But I dont know right know if the turbo its ok or what.

heres the dyno grahp.
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2018, 09:23 AM
  #2  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauricio Evo IV View Post


Red line its the new turbo and blue old turbo.
Hello guys, recently I change my blown turbo 6266 journal bearing to a ball bearing.
I bought the turbo used, but the guy who sold, told me was journal and not. Its a ball bearing and hotside its not 66mm. According to PTE its a 68mm, so the turbo its 6268 supposedly.
I made a datalog with the new turbo whithout tune and numbers are low than 6266 journal.
Yes, I know, I need to retune the car, but if the turbo its bigger than the old one, without tune I expected better numbers than before with the same boost dont you think?
The car its ok in afr with 27-28psi and zero knock. But I dont know right know if the turbo its ok or what.

heres the dyno grahp.
Its a starvation of air (boost) at top end.

Your tuned boost at top end from 66 opens your WG and limiting exhaust gas to spin 68 Turbine wheels. 68 is higher rotational mass than 66, a bit heavier to spin.
maxroach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:25 PM
  #3  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 8,782
Thanked 181 Times in 176 Posts
Swapping turbos without a tune isn't going to do anything, really. It's pretty dangerous to drive it that way, so get 'er done!
kaj is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2018, 01:55 PM
  #4  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10,813
Thanked 546 Times in 522 Posts
Is the new turbo making more or less boost than the old one?
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2018, 03:57 PM
  #5  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 8,782
Thanked 181 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Is the new turbo making more or less boost than the old one?
He says it's the same.
kaj is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:04 AM
  #6  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Is the new turbo making more or less boost than the old one?
Yes man, same boost... 27-28psi
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:06 AM
  #7  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxroach View Post
Its a starvation of air (boost) at top end.

Your tuned boost at top end from 66 opens your WG and limiting exhaust gas to spin 68 Turbine wheels. 68 is higher rotational mass than 66, a bit heavier to spin.
Can you check my datalog???
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2018, 09:45 AM
  #8  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauricio Evo IV View Post
Can you check my datalog???



Your 66/66 spools faster by 600 RPM. Ref blue circle. Wastegate open and cant keep the 66/68 turbo spool at your RPM Limit. Green Circle
My safest suggestion is,
Re-tune it to your set up.
maxroach is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxroach For This Useful Post:
Mauricio Evo IV (Mar 5, 2018)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 06:57 AM
  #9  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxroach View Post



Your 66/66 spools faster by 600 RPM. Ref blue circle. Wastegate open and cant keep the 66/68 turbo spool at your RPM Limit. Green Circle
My safest suggestion is,
Re-tune it to your set up.
Thanx man for your suggestion.
I will search a good tuner, because my tuner I think have a lot of work and cant help me....
Someone you can recommend to make some adjust in the tune?
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2018, 09:57 AM
  #10  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauricio Evo IV View Post
Thanx man for your suggestion.
I will search a good tuner, because my tuner I think have a lot of work and cant help me....
Someone you can recommend to make some adjust in the tune?
Where are you located?
What wastegate are you running?
maxroach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 05:31 AM
  #11  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxroach View Post
Where are you located?
What wastegate are you running?
Im from El Salvador in Central America. I use a Tial 44mm wg.
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 01:54 PM
  #12  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Alright.
Try this, order another spring for your Tial WG.

Spring should Be next higher compression than what your using now in Tial.


maxroach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2018, 05:34 AM
  #13  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxroach View Post
Alright.
Try this, order another spring for your Tial WG.

Spring should Be next higher compression than what your using now in Tial.


Im using a mix spring. Without boost (boost controller close) the car boost 28 psi.
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2018, 09:55 AM
  #14  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauricio Evo IV View Post
Im using a mix spring. Without boost (boost controller close) the car boost 28 psi.
You don't have a problem with your boost. Boost is fine.

Problem is, When you hit 28 psi on your boost, the WG is fully open already. Exhaust gas losses energy to spool the Turbine Wheel.

You need to have higher compression spring to control your WG until 7000 - 7200 RPM.
maxroach is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxroach For This Useful Post:
Mauricio Evo IV (Mar 13, 2018)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 01:11 PM
  #15  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Mauricio Evo IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Tecla
Posts: 624
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxroach View Post
You don't have a problem with your boost. Boost is fine.

Problem is, When you hit 28 psi on your boost, the WG is fully open already. Exhaust gas losses energy to spool the Turbine Wheel.

You need to have higher compression spring to control your WG until 7000 - 7200 RPM.
just one more question.

If I run the car like this, is there a problem? The car not detected knock and afr its ok for the gas that use + methanol.

I think run more boost (33-34 psi) with Q16 or Torco 118 octane... and I have the tune with more gas and timing
Mauricio Evo IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ddlopresti
Evo X Dyno Results
2
Apr 19, 2014 04:58 PM
evoboy2006
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain
10
Apr 17, 2012 09:45 PM
oK-Boi7o
For Sale - Wanting To Buy (WTB) Or Trade (WTT)
2
Jan 26, 2012 07:33 AM
SBR INC
Evo 'For Sale' External Engine / Power
2
Aug 24, 2009 11:28 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Journal to Ball Bearing turbo.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.