Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Free Horsepower by tightening 1 clamp!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've checked:

I checked my clamps on the bov, intake etc. I noticed 3 out of the 4 were not snug. My evo is stock and pulls 1.5 bar and backs down between 1.1-1.2 on the factory indash turbo gauge. Quite frankly I did not see much of an improvement . I would like to see the boost stay steady at 1.4 through the gears, any ideas other than a mbc? TY
Old Apr 9, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

If you get rid of the OEM recirculating valve, it will make a difference. I have a Forge Motorsports one, but am not satisfied with it. I get a studder when a let off the gas. I have a shop in Tempe, AZ that imported a hybrid BOV/recirculating valve...you adjust one clamp to go from atmospheric to recirculating. I am testing one soon and will let you guys know how it works...They are imported from Japan but are stuck in customs right now. I should have it shortly...I will be under $150...and if we get a group buy, then that will help lower the price. I have also heard good things about the GReddy recirculating value that is manufactured for the last gen. Eclipse...it will fit the EVO VIII...
Old Apr 9, 2004, 08:20 PM
choad

Temper your enthusiasm with knowledge, and the experience of others that have gone
Wow..
Pages and pages of ill advice before someone dishes out some "reality"..

Mikes EVO8..thanks for posting..I read the thread with major skepticism about the pill removal..
Your post is much appreciated..

I'm sure there are guys going back to their garage right now and jamming that "jagged little pill" back into their fricken hoses..

I would if I were them

Thanks Alanis..and thanks Mike!!
Old Apr 9, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed!

That way people won't start new threads about why their car is breaking in a few months!

I get tired of seeing all the pissed off topics towards Mitsu. Nice to read the voice of reason.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 08:42 PM
choad

I get tired of seeing all the pissed off topics towards Mitsu. Nice to read the voice of reason.

Another good one here..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...642#post870642
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Will the engine break eventhough I'm in constant monitor of the boost?

I have a very accurate Boost meter by Apexi.

My stock boost with the pill on was 17.5 psi then it tapers off to 15psi to 16.5 psi. I never went beyond that boost level.

When I removed the pill, boost came up to 19.5 psi - 20psi and tapers back down to 16.5 - 18psi

I've been driving all day and I never see the boost spiked to 21psi to 22 psi, it just stayed at 19 - 20psi then tapers off...

I need some advice if this is bad for the engine, I will put the pill right away if this is the case.

Thanks Guys, I realy need the feedback...

Last edited by ArchieBabes; Apr 9, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Again fellas, I started this thread with one piece of safe advice, tightening a clamp that helped my vehicle with top end pull. I agree that the message got off topic, but with my inquisitive nature I had to find out some details. I need no "voice of reason" to help me decide how to make my decisions, but mikesevo8 does make some good points in his posts. Again, I don't condone pill removal or homemade airboxes, but Dr. evo sure did a hell of a job improving his car for little to no $, if that is what he wants to do, more power to him. I mean 6-7mph is no joke in the quarter. I simply wanted to know what he did to get those improvements, and as my anxious self thought about it I considered doing them. However, I never make an uneducated decision and after thinking about it decided the tightening of the hose clamps is all that I need to do now. If we really wanted to go off the deep end we could talk about all the crap intakes and screwed up fuel management systems people have purchased from manufacturers and had problems with, couldn't we? My advice is if you want to keep the car correct keep it stock, but seeing as to how the majority of people on this board have modded their vehicles themselves I guess that isn't what this forum is for, after all we are sharing knowledge and only you can make the decision of what you will or won't do on your car based on this information! I read many posts on the pill and also the ones in this thread and guess what, mine is still in my car based on my evaluation of what I wanted to do with my vehicle. Well enough of this banter, I am going to try to keep this post on topic and state that all I would do to a stock evo is tighten the ic clamps as well as the bov clamps to see if it helps your car on the higher rpms. That is a safe and harmless stock adjustment anyone could make to see if it helps their vehicle out. Just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt.
Stay safe,
Punisher
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Well, the way I look at it is, if removing the pill makes you boost that high 22-24 psi that is not very safe. I can see doing it for a few track runs, but not on a daily basis. I used to have a fully built MR2 (everything internal was strengthened) and I wouldnt boost that much, and the motor was built to handle 30 psi easily.

Mike...Thanks for your.02 cents, I think it was needed.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Evilevo, your car still pulling on the top end better after the clamps were tightend? As I recall you tried this right?
Punisher
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I definitely feel a difference above 5K rpm. I tightened all the clamps down, figured might as well since I was already under the hood.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ArchieBabes

When I removed the pill, boost came up to 19.5 psi - 20psi and tapers back down to 16.5 - 18psi

I've been driving all day and I never see the boost spiked to 21psi to 22 psi, it just stayed at 19 - 20psi then tapers off...

When the temperature is warm its ok but once the temperature drops below 40 degrees is when you will see spikes. Even a manual boost controller does this.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, I love the car now. I made an agreement with my wife no modding until I had the car for a while. Oh well, at least I got my evo., in staying true to my word I only tightened clamps and the car is great now. Sure, it could be faster but that will come in time. I also am adamant about baselining my car bone stock, so I want to do nothing to it before I get to the track. I will run in street trim with the only slight caveat being 1/4 tank of gas instead of a full one. I really want to see what it will do as is. I can tell you that before the tightening, I doubted the car could break into the high 13.xx, now I know I can squeeze out at least a mid 13.xx. Thanks to all who kept the topic true to the original post as that was my intention for you guys. Take care and stay safe,
Punisher
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Punisher, I think yours was just looser then usuall. I checked mine yesterday and it was pretty tight. If you check all your other hoses, you'll notice that they are not very tight either(for example:intercooler hoses). I think its purposely suppose to be kinda loose from the factory. The stock BOV is plastic so I understand its not suppose to be so tight.

Good luck with your car and glad that worked out great for you.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

I see that is why I didn't see any spikes today, because its around 75 - 80 degrees today.

Boost is consistent 19.5 psi to 20psi then tapers off.

I havent tried runing the car 40 degrees below.

I might get the spike, but I always look at my boost gauge, as soon as it hits the 21 psi mark, I will let go of the gas pedal or shift right away so that I don't overboost and risk damaging the engine.

I think Pill Removal is ok, as long as you dont' overboost 20psi and above, anything above 20psi is a risk.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks greddy, I think my clamps were tightened by a guy in Japan having an "off" day lmao. Well, I used to have an hks upper intercooler pipe kit on my 1st gen eclipse and with their rubber elbows on the metal pipes we used to place to clamps side by side and crank the crap out of them. I don't want to overtighten thm as they can strip out, but I know if ic clamps are not tight you get leaks espescially at higher boost levels; it sucks when the clamp blows off and your car stalls while accelerating lol. At any rate, I may replace these clamps with better ones if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great! Again, my feeling is that the more snug you can get these clamps (without over tightening them) the better off you will be. Will it help you out? It seems some have found improvements while others not, so build tollerances vary and that holds true here as well I believe.
Take care guys,
Punisher

Quick Reply: Free Horsepower by tightening 1 clamp!