Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 mr transmission upgrade routes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo 9 mr transmission upgrade routes?

hello all!

initially i was going to send in my trans to shep and have them rebuild and do a 5sp conversion. After a few email exchanges turns out i was confused(maybe the wording was off on their site as well) and that i could only get my 6sp rebuilt and the only way to do a 5sp conversion was to buy a used 5speed and rebuild it or buy a new 5sp.

I want to ask what you guys have done? If i have my current 5 speed rebuilt will it be just as weak as it would be brand new? I will only be using my car for the streets, no plans to be launching the car, no tracking. Only intend to make 5XXwhp max. Sitting at 370whp right now but who knows how ill feel in the future. 6sp seems to be fine right now but grinds in 4th sometimes. Not sure if its due to clutch and it locking out sometime or bad synchro/gears.

Suggestions?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Having it rebuilt won't make it any stronger. They seem to not like much more than 400ish wtq, and heat from road racing. Sounds like you should be fine with a refreshed 6 speed.

If you want a 5 speed, I suggest go to Jon at TRE if you want the best trans available for your evo.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 04:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I agree w/Sean, a quality rebuild / refresh would do you well. Im still running a full stock 5 speed (ACT clutch) which has seen a large number of track day sessions

BTW, good to have you on the boards

Old Sep 13, 2018, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I agree with the two gentlemen above. Now if you must keep your 6 speed, there is a strengthening option which can be found here:

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/c...-trans-service

With that in mind, I wouldn't push it past 550trq.
The following users liked this post:
RendragSemaj (Sep 25, 2018)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Rebuild the MR

I had a 500+whp car recently that I was doing work on for a friend, he's making 650whp on race gas and hasn't had issues yet

the 6-speed is SO MUCH NICER to shift than the 5 speed. it's smooth and how a transmission should feel. the 5 speed is stronger but honestly sucks for driving "feel" in a non-racecar
Old Sep 13, 2018, 05:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
The 6spd is a better trans, but they are torque limited to about 350ftlbs. The bummer is they are so expensive to have even an oem rebuild done. I'm currently putting in a 5spd until I can afford to upgrade my 6.
I say use yours until breaks, then swap. No sense in additional work, if you don't have to, especially at your power level.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Rebuild the MR

I had a 500+whp car recently that I was doing work on for a friend, he's making 650whp on race gas and hasn't had issues yet

the 6-speed is SO MUCH NICER to shift than the 5 speed. it's smooth and how a transmission should feel. the 5 speed is stronger but honestly sucks for driving "feel" in a non-racecar
ive had 6 speeds and 5 speeds... stock. and you are correct... the 6 speed does shift alot nicer.

however, the 5 speed in my car now is a stage 2 jacks with all the extras... and wow..
by far the best shifting car ive ever driven.... , this tranny shifts incredible.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Having it rebuilt won't make it any stronger. They seem to not like much more than 400ish wtq, and heat from road racing. Sounds like you should be fine with a refreshed 6 speed.

If you want a 5 speed, I suggest go to Jon at TRE if you want the best trans available for your evo.
lol this was kinda confusing? so keep the 6 speed and just do an oem rebuild?

but yeah, dont plan to make more than 5xxwhp. so an oem 6sp rebuild it is?
dunno how my wife would feel about a $3500 6sp strengthening lol
Old Sep 13, 2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Rebuild the MR

rebuild my 6speed with jacks performance rebuild?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You’ll get 10 different opinions. If you don’t want to keep rebuilding the 6th speed get the 5 speed. Shep will return your calls and deliver a unit when he says. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 06:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
You’ll get 10 different opinions. If you don’t want to keep rebuilding the 6th speed get the 5 speed. Shep will return your calls and deliver a unit when he says. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.
If i had the patience / time, I would certainly choose TRE, but its clear that they have a full customer base & are not that interested in bringing more business than they can handle.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 07:06 AM

Feelin like i should return my mr and get a gsr lol
Old Sep 14, 2018, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twinkie_mayne
Feelin like i should return my mr and get a gsr lol
I took my 6 speed out at 13k miles for a 5 speed. It’s still sitting on garage floor and can turn back into an “MR” whenever

Youll be fine!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:07 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
If i had the patience / time, I would certainly choose TRE, but its clear that they have a full customer base & are not that interested in bringing more business than they can handle.
That had been my experience. I waited three weeks for a reply, before sending to Shep. It's good for him that he's keeping busy, but bad for new customers. Hopefully that base keeps him going.

I took my 6 speed out at 13k miles for a 5 speed. It’s still sitting on garage floor and can turn back into an “MR” whenever

Youll be fine!
You should sell it to me. 😁
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by twinkie_mayne

dunno how my wife would feel about a $3500 6sp strengthening lol
Yeah, I can relate to that lol. She always pulls the "We need to save for retirement" card. We are not even 28 yet and we both have 401k and pension plans.

Not to derail this thread, but a simple savings account will NEVER last. Residual income is the key to a good retirement.