Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Built motor longevity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I guess 500whp is 500whp, but when I see dyno plots where the HP and TQ come so late...I'm like

​​​​​​yeah, it's safe for the stock shortblock, but *yaaaawn*
I feel the same way, doesnt look fun. I'm really curious what some of those big turbo Evo's feel like driving around town. I see some of them dont make 300tq til 5k rpm but a lot of them seem really happy with the result. I have a feeling they like to roll race, not just scoot around town.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 735 Likes on 570 Posts
Ive been in the DSM game since late 90s and only had a moderately large turbo for a couple years. I always hated the lag and lack of response. Now I get 300tq by 32-3300 and still make right at 500whp. I also tune out big torque spikes since that just upsets the car when it hits and breaks parts.

One of the things thats always been great about the 4G63 community is people are always willing to push way beyond what an efficiency map says to find out how much you can get from a turbo so you dont give up the response.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Ive been in the DSM game since late 90s and only had a moderately large turbo for a couple years. I always hated the lag and lack of response. Now I get 300tq by 32-3300 and still make right at 500whp. I also tune out big torque spikes since that just upsets the car when it hits and breaks parts.

One of the things thats always been great about the 4G63 community is people are always willing to push way beyond what an efficiency map says to find out how much you can get from a turbo so you dont give up the response.
Yea it might shorten turbo life, but in exchange can give best of both worlds. Do you just ramp up WGDC slowly to get torque to come in gradually?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I love my 71hta, but feel the torque comes on way too fast. I think a bigger turbo with 400rpm more lag can get me another 50whp without much noticeable lag. Green size is probably better fit for me on street. 71hta makes too much torque too quickly and it's hard to drive gently on E85. I also think Red will fit well too but I suspect I will notice that extra 200rpm lag. It gets expensive to setup each turbo when you have to pay for tuning each time.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 735 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Yea it might shorten turbo life, but in exchange can give best of both worlds. Do you just ramp up WGDC slowly to get torque to come in gradually?
I run WGDC at 100% till boost is building then tune the WGDC to hit my target and just ramp up as it would naturally want to fall off. The intent is to get a nice flat boost as long as possible. I need to spend some time this year playing with the feed back loop though, Ive been getting inconsistent boost levels depending on various factors (load, heat, RPM I go full throttle, etc).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:52 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked_X
I feel the same way, doesnt look fun. I'm really curious what some of those big turbo Evo's feel like driving around town. I see some of them dont make 300tq til 5k rpm but a lot of them seem really happy with the result. I have a feeling they like to roll race, not just scoot around town.
When I was doing the Honda thing, we ran large turbos on stock engines (it was all about drag racing). We had only 91oct on 11:1 CR engines, so.. It was all about the higher cfm @ lower boost levels.
it was all lag until about 6500rpm then would absolutely rip to 9k. At the time, the rush was fun and it "felt" faster. I think between that and the dyno charts, that's what makes those guys happy. Who knows if they would feel the same after riding in a properly built car with a bit less power.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stickmans evo 8 made ~600 wheel on a 6266 on 93 octane. Rev limiter set to 8500. Exedy twin disk started slipping at around 30k miles, he never launched it. Replaced clutch and car sit for about ~6months. Piston ring seized and ****ed his motor. The night i realized something was up it seen 8k multiple times. Pulled the head off and one of the pistons had a chunk missing, she never quit running tho and still felt faster than my 350whp evo ix.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
For 500whp on pump your going to want to build a 2.2L with a good port job in the cylinder head, and I don't recommend a stock frame turbo. A vband turbo kit with either a Garrett Gen2 Gtx3076r or Precision gen2 5558 will be responsive and make right around 500.

A car with useable power from 4500 to 9500 is way more fun than something that hits at 3500 and it falling on its face by 7 or 7500.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 01:34 PM

Appreciate all the replies, reason i am asking is because tomorrow i am trading my mustang for a Evo 8, TSOCOMPTUNED tuned the car 74k miles did a compression and leakdown everything was fine. I'll build it if it blows up
Old Dec 3, 2018, 02:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Aidanlee1
Appreciate all the replies, reason i am asking is because tomorrow i am trading my mustang for a Evo 8, TSOCOMPTUNED tuned the car 74k miles did a compression and leakdown everything was fine. I'll build it if it blows up
Excellent / I say go for it!

Post up some pics, including the engine bay, after you take delivery
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
For 500whp on pump your going to want to build a 2.2L with a good port job in the cylinder head, and I don't recommend a stock frame turbo. A vband turbo kit with either a Garrett Gen2 Gtx3076r or Precision gen2 5558 will be responsive and make right around 500.

A car with useable power from 4500 to 9500 is way more fun than something that hits at 3500 and it falling on its face by 7 or 7500.
Not to get too off topic but I have a question about turbos mentioned above. Wouldn’t an FP Red SS (or any SS FP Turbo) sort of act like the PTE 5558 v-band w their larger SS housing? Or do those SS housings still produce a lot of heat/backpressure?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by willitas34

Not to get too off topic but I have a question about turbos mentioned above. Wouldn’t an FP Red SS (or any SS FP Turbo) sort of act like the PTE 5558 v-band w their larger SS housing? Or do those SS housings still produce a lot of heat/backpressure?
Good question. The way I see it, FP SS turbine housing is a bandaid alternative to the MHI turbine housing. It basically short circuits the divided twin scroll to make it single scroll, just like you were saying when comparing to the PTE single scroll. Personally, I would go single scroll T3 exhaust manifold with T3 turbo and not waste time with their twin scroll race manifold and SS housing.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Good question. The way I see it, FP SS turbine housing is a bandaid alternative to the MHI turbine housing. It basically short circuits the divided twin scroll to make it single scroll, just like you were saying when comparing to the PTE single scroll. Personally, I would go single scroll T3 exhaust manifold with T3 turbo and not waste time with their twin scroll race manifold and SS housing.
Makes sense. California smog laws make modifying less fun ☹️ Always a fine line between different set ups and hiding it all from the law.

To chime in on the OP question. It depends. Who built the engine, how much power, who tuned it, how often you changing fluids, how hard are you beating on the engine. All those are factors.

Last edited by willitas34; Dec 4, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 01:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts

The SS housing is FP's fix for the back pressure issues from the MHI housing. Personally, if I were going with an SS housing, I'd just go the t3/t04 route. I can't imagine an FP turbo outperforming one of those.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

You still won't see 500 on pump with the SS housing. It's just not the same as a Vband housing turbo kit in regards to flow. When going with the SS housing, the price difference between the whole setup vs just getting a turbo kit start to become somewhat negligible. A ball bearing FP SS setup will run close to $4k once you factor in the waste gate, down pipe, manifold, and intake. And the SS red spools similarly to the two vband turbo kit options mentioned, just with less power potential on pump due to back pressure.