Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Too much pressure in crankcase, why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know how you checked your PCV, if you just saw it sealing by just blowing in to it then try to clean the PCV valve with some brake/carb cleaner or get a new one. Because their is no way you can blow 15-20psi at it with your mouth. It should rattle, but that still doesnt mean its okay.

Personally, I would get a catch can and use both ports and route them their. and block the port on the intake manifold were the pcv should go. Should solve your problem.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
PCV Valve is only supposed to work under vacuum.. when there's positive pressure the check ball is kept closed.. However, if its leaking/stuck, it could pressurize the crankcase so its probably a good idea to check it anyway.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sloweclipse
I dont know how you checked your PCV, if you just saw it sealing by just blowing in to it then try to clean the PCV valve with some brake/carb cleaner or get a new one. Because their is no way you can blow 15-20psi at it with your mouth. It should rattle, but that still doesnt mean its okay.

Personally, I would get a catch can and use both ports and route them their. and block the port on the intake manifold were the pcv should go. Should solve your problem.
Well, the PCV valve was checked per the manual. They suggest pulling out the PCV from the elbow that connects to the valve cover and see if there's vaccum with the engine idling. Also they suggest listening to hear it rattle as well as checking the return spring pressure with a small rod or wire. All those tests were performed and the results point to a proper functioning PCV valve.........
Old Jul 5, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
PCV Valve is only supposed to work under vacuum.. when there's positive pressure the check ball is kept closed.. However, if its leaking/stuck, it could pressurize the crankcase so its probably a good idea to check it anyway.
The only part I've not checked for sure is to see if there is an obstruction in the fitting that leads out of the valve cover for the hose that returns to the intake..... Come to think of it, the valve cover must have been removed during the cam installation, no? Perhaps something got in there or something was installed incorrectly...... After all, there were other issues with many of the other mods' installtions......... Best look into it I guess....
Old Jul 5, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

welcome to the world of mitsubishi
Old Jul 5, 2004, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93h22cvc
Hmmmm, does this mean that this is a issue? I'd heard that Shiv sees this phenomenom extremely seldom and he dynos about 5 EVOs a week (or is it 5 EVOs a day?)
Old Jul 5, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmshiv is god how could i forget. i personally have had 4 1st gens all modded under high boost levels this is common genious.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

hmmmshiv is god how could i forget. i personally have had 4 1st gens all modded under high boost levels this is common genious.
Aside from consulting deities and oracles I decided to start this topic exactly to get this kind of information...... I appreciate the information. I mentioned Shiv's opinion because he does have some experience with EVOs. Obviously his experience differs from other folks... I don't know why his experience is differnt but I'll take it at face value.... I guess the bottom line is that this is a common occurrence in some people's experience but very rare in Shiv's experience
Since I'm not Shiv, this might be somewhat normal for my car

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jul 6, 2004 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
My 2G was a POS.

i personally have had 4 1st gens all modded under high boost levels this is common genious.
Hopefully the Evo will be better in the long haul. If my car gets used DSM-like in three or four years (which I highly doubt), its getting replaced with a Subaru.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv has seen the dipstick pop out one time with an Evo on his dyno. That was my car. It only happened one time ever and never reoccurred. It happened under the following conditions:
1. My oil was overfilled. My dipstick indicated about a 1/16" over the top fill line.
2. I was using a homemade oil catch system made by Mitsuorder. It does not recirculate, which could result in a slight pressure imbalance. I find it VERY telling that Mitsuorder chimed in to say that this has happened to him as well. I don't think it is a coincidence. I have since removed that simple oil catch system.
3. My car was being tortured on a dyno. I think it was MalibuJack that hypothesized that under wide open throttle, the engine's oil pickups and gallies would be designed to "expect" forward thrust of acceleration, which is not present on a dyno. This could also contribute to my problem.
4. As many others can attest, the 4g63 is prone to popping dipsticks. So if the conditions are right (like they were in my case) it can happen when nothing at all is wrong with your motor.

Finally, I have road raced once (about 30 laps around Streets of Willow) and drag raced tons of times since this has happened and it has never reoccured. I personally think the overfill on oil was the number one culprit. Since then, I keep my oil level at the LOWER fill line.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Jul 6, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This happened to me with my oil being slightly overfilled and with me punching the go pedal while on the highway with the a/c on. Sorry that my oil catch contributed to your problems Smogrunner. What type of oil catch are you running now? I'm going to go the route that MalibuJack posted.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I have heard that this is a pretty common phenomenon on the 4G63T... If you haven't already done this, try putting a breather on the valvecover in place of the breather hose..

This is actually something that used to happen pretty frequently on my supercharged small block..

There is likely nothing wrong, what happens at high RPM is your engine builds up pressure from all the moving parts, plus the engine blowby.. what happens at high-rpm heavy load is there's more air trying to get out, than the breather hose can handle.. Its likely the hose itself is building up a bit of crud in it.. so the air will take the path of least restriction, which will be the next leakiest part of the engine, or the dipstick tube..

Put a catch can on the breather to catch the oil, and vent the catch can to the atmosphere (put a little filter on it since it also breaths in under part throttle when the engine is under vacuum and the PCV system is functioning) your problem should go away, just remember to use large enough hose and not kink it..

You can check your blowby and compression, and you could have a problem, but its unlikely.. once you start dealing with higher boost, higher RPM, and higher cylinder pressures you begin to see these phenomenon..

Nice! Do you have a picture of the setup. Would appreciate it if you can share.

Thks
Old Jul 6, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Any car I've ever taken to the mitsu dealer for service comes 1/4 qt over filled. I know TOO much oil can be really bad for your engine, but after talking to some guys who race quite a bit, they said it was a common practice for various reasons to slightly overfill.

Hell if I know, overfilling by 1/4 qt has never hurt any car I have owned.

Last edited by leonard_shelby; Jul 6, 2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

I slightly overfill, have been on Shiv's dyno, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, and ruitinely redline it with my catch can setup. Never had a problem and my intake tract is very clean without a trace of oil. Warning for the ghetto phobic.... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=catch