Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random Misfire 0300: Dealership reflash available...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaGoFaster
OK...this might be off topic or related...you tell me.. When my car is at the strip and I am line and one of those rumbling muscle cars comes beside or in front of me the rumbling all but stalls my engine!!

This past weekend, a huge Harley was in from of me at a stoplight...the light turned green and the Harley guy stepped on the gas...a huge rumble came out of his exhaust...and COMPLETELY stalled my car!!!

I've never thrown a CEL and do have a dynoflash...any ideas?
I think this is caused by the sensors hearing the loud engine noises from the other vehicle. My cars idle will fluctuate on the verge of stalling if a unmuffled v8 is in front of me at a light. But this is unrelated to the Random Misfire issue.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by puckadog
if anyone has info or knows if it's safe to get this reflash without overwriting either dynoflash or xflash PLEASE post!!!

I believe it over-writes whatever program you have . They hook up a scan tool and re-writes a whole new map in the ECU to fix the PO300 prob.

Unless your Tuner ( flash ) built in a pass code to access inside your ECU.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
I think this is caused by the sensors hearing the loud engine noises from the other vehicle. My cars idle will fluctuate on the verge of stalling if a unmuffled v8 is in front of me at a light. But this is unrelated to the Random Misfire issue.
It is caused by your very sensitive Knock sensor seeing noise,thus retarding timing until the knock goes away.It doesent know that the knock is just a loud Hardly ableson.Try shutting your hood with the engine running,that also all but stalls your car.Better yet hook up a data logging tool/scan tool and leave your engine running with hood open,then close hood and notice what happens to your
timing.you will be very suprised to see how much timing it pulls.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

SC any misfires yet?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
It's a malfunction a portion of the Evo owners have been experiencing. It shows it's ugly head most commonly when applying light throttle in 4th or 5th gear at about 3500rpms. The symptoms of this problem include engine stuttering, inability to properly accelerate at light throttle angles and the appearance of the check engine light.

The reflash is free if you are under warranty.

SC~
can they pick up the exhistence of a piggy back installed? even if all settings at zero.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by puckadog
if anyone has info or knows if it's safe to get this reflash without overwriting either dynoflash or xflash PLEASE post!!!
This new Mitsubishi Flash addressing the DTC P0300 for the '03 and '04 Lancer Evolutions will overwrite any flash including the WORKS P-series Flashes.
We have been studying this reflash (Technical Service Bulletin 04-13-007) since Monday morning with three of our EVOs, additional ECUs, and Mitsubishi diagnostic tools.

WORKS has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin 04-10-001) for P* Flashed customers regarding this situation. If you are a current P* customer, please refrain from getting the Mitsubishi reflash without contacting WORKS or an AWD (Authorized WORKS Dealer).

TSB 04-13-007 applies to EVO owners who are consistently experiencing the DTC P0300 code. If you are not affected by this condition, then the updated reflash from Mitsubishi or WORKS may not be necessary.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

yeah waiting in line at the track I get more Po300 codes and my car will stall. I went over 700 miles w/o any codes and was thinking that my change is spark plug gap and consistent gas was responsible. Went to line up at the track and guess what po300 code,cam angle sensor po340 appeared. I also feel that the intake taking in exhaust from other cars messes up the Idle of my car and contributes to codes. Car runs better/smoother away from the track from my personal experience. Thanks for explaining it to me as my exhaust fume hypothesis probably only explains half the problem.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow this is just too funny about the Evo's reacting to loud noises. Every time I've been to the drag strip my car starts to act up in the staging lanes. The engine just wants to die and I have to play with the throttle to keep it going, otherwise the car runs great down the quarter mile. Now I know why it acts that way .
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Wow this is just too funny about the Evo's reacting to loud noises. Every time I've been to the drag strip my car starts to act up in the staging lanes. The engine just wants to die and I have to play with the throttle to keep it going, otherwise the car runs great down the quarter mile. Now I know why it acts that way .
It's going to get embarrasing at the stop lights once the Civic guys figure out how to hobble our cars with a loud stereo...
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

4th 5th gear hiccup

Originally Posted by The Emperor
i do have a problem with my 4th and 5th gear..every time i give a little pressure on the gas around 3500 rpm, my car lags or hicups...i dont know..you think its the misfire problem?
Thisa is the fuel cut not a miss fire. I have this BAD when I installed my Vishnu stage 1+. Shiv had to do an eco flash to fix. I tried different plug different gaps, fuel pump upgrade... It needed a X-Flash from Vishnu.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

I picked up my car from the dealer and after two hours of freeway driving.......NO SES LIGHT!!! Let's hope it holds up.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
YAY!
I drove for ove an hour in town traffic after the reflash from the dealer and no SES light yet. NOrmally it would have come on at the first few stop lights.
Way to go Mitsu. now I know my cylinders are not sick and can confidently continue to mod the heck out of it :P
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all,

I have an intermittent stumble when at WOT, usually upper gears (3-5) at 3500 and more commonly at 4500.

I do not get a CEL, so it sounds like this isn't related?

It started in the winter, so I figured it was fuel cut. I may try to gap my Denso IW24 down a tiny bit to see if it's just a misfire. I have an upgrade walbro pump.

It usually only happens when the car has been running for awhile, and not when it's first warmed up. Kinds of a pita.

Interesting that this misfire code is related to the CAS, since I snapped my CAS back when I was fiddling with my Bypass valve. I got a new sensor, but I had to splice the wires in since the harness was diff. Yeah, it's kind of a hack job. I wonder if that could also be a contributor to my problems.

Anyway, since I don't get the code, maybe it is just fuel cut, in which case a reflash would help, right? It does seem to happen less if I lean slightly in the rpm range with my SAFCII.

Thanks,

FB

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
Thisa is the fuel cut not a miss fire. I have this BAD when I installed my Vishnu stage 1+. Shiv had to do an eco flash to fix. I tried different plug different gaps, fuel pump upgrade... It needed a X-Flash from Vishnu.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:00 PM

i called local mits dealer last wed. ant they had no idea what i was talking about. i told them every thing that was going on. the service person even put me on hold to ask one of the evo tech. they said "the evo dose not need a pcm reprogram" i gave her the billing code. and told her ill call back later. well when i called her back she was like i looked it up and she found the tsb for it. so i set up an appt for the fri. i had my friend take it in and then there all it going to be $75 an hour to look at it and if any thing is done to the motor there going to charge me to fix it. my fiance then called the dealership and got ahold of the service mgr. he then subjects us to racing it. and everyone that has an evo racing. my fiance then gives him an ear full. later that day i go in to talk to the svc mgr and hes im sorry make another appt on mon and i and svc forman will take car of you dont you worry... so i guess we will find out on monday.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a really intersting fix. For those of you who have had the reprogram done by Mitsu, where you running a piggybakc type system (ie. ECU+, e-Manage, UTEC) or just the reflashes. I am curious to know whether the dealers gave you **** about the piggybacks? I wouldn't think so unless they go digging for it because the diagnosis port is not near the ECU.

Anyway, that cam angle sensor is very sensitive. I have experience the whole hood dropping thing as well, but never the track day problems or loud noises. My brother-in-law did drop a rachet on the sensor and snap it in half. I bought an autozone CAS and the car ran like ****, the CEL came on all the time. I returned it and bought the OEM one from Mitsu and it runs fine, other than the CEL.

Quick Reply: Random Misfire 0300: Dealership reflash available...