Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forced Performance Evo 8 turbo housing. 10.5cm2 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Fenris Ulf]That is a bandaid, and a lower temp thermostat will actually hurt power output and fuel efficiency.

QUOTE] so then drag cars and race cars do not use low temp thermostats?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a titanium 9.8 turbo that I ordered a 10.5 nozzle housing for it.. Essentially that makes it a 6.5 TME turbo..

EDIT: Someone pointed out that the compressor wheel is different between the TME turbo.. I don't know the specs of the wheel or whether or not its better or worse than the combination "Frankenstien" setup I have..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jul 22, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Although I generally agree that Mitsu has a GREAT ignition system, it doesn't appear to offer a multiple spark discharge, so your more prone to getting misfires..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

This is an interesting issue. Hopefully, it will become informative and yield good results. It seems that most people have not tinkered with the cast parts. Perhaps this will be a reasonable option soon!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:41 PM
EvoM Guru

[QUOTE=lancerpartstrad]
Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
That is a bandaid, and a lower temp thermostat will actually hurt power output and fuel efficiency.

QUOTE] so then drag cars and race cars do not use low temp thermostats?
Actually some drag cars don't use any thermostat, many use a flow restrictor (Big washer) and race cars do have lower temp thermostats, but more like 165 degree.. depends on the engine since too cold is bad, and too hot is bad..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Actually some drag cars don't use any thermostat, many use a flow restrictor (Big washer) and race cars do have lower temp thermostats, but more like 165 degree.. depends on the engine since too cold is bad, and too hot is bad..
yeah but we're not talking about big blocks here, I mean imports under three litres. Especially in turbocharger applications, heat is such an issue with these little AZZ engines, intake heat, engine bay heat, fluid heat. I think for these little two litres more heat would be a very bad thing, I don't think having too cold of a thermostat would do any harm in this applications, especially when you start talking about bigger turbos (more heat). Ever seen racing heat shields for this car's turbocharger in rally/race form? They're pretty robust and bulky.......
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I think you get to a point of diminishing return.. there's a temp your going to hit based on the efficiency of the radiator and the speed/volume of the pump, and how much heat is absorbed by the coolant as it cycles.. I think a cooler thermostat won't actually cool the car that much as it sits.. I see a cooler thermostat as an addition to the upgrades to take advantage of the additional cooling.

but yeah, you are right about these tiny engines.. I suppose there's a heat range where their happiest.. I honestly can't tell you what that is though..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
but yeah, you are right about these tiny engines.. I suppose there's a heat range where their happiest.. I honestly can't tell you what that is though..
I know first hand that if a 4g63 goes over the halfway point on the old heat gague, goodbye. I would pack my block in ice if I could....
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, thats mainly my concern, we always talk about more power, bigger turbo, etc.. but I rarely see anyone also upgrade the cooling system to go along with all that..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:11 PM
Account Disabled

oh yeah, and the EVO has a steel head gasket, so if you overheat, you don't just f up your head gasket........a warning to all you kids out there....
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

This goes back to what I always say; All mods need to complement each other. Don't just buy and install what's hot. have a plan and work towards it.
I hated buying a radiator before I bought a boost controller, but I'm looking at the big picture.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Same here.. But I held off until I found a radiator that fit my needs, and wasn't just a polished bolt-on that offered very additional function.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

so does anyone have this housing...and will it increase hp?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

I ordered one.. have not heard of anyone who has tried it yet.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvolvedfromaWRX
so does anyone have this housing...and will it increase hp?
it makes HP, it's just a matter of how much and when it makes more.

Quick Reply: Forced Performance Evo 8 turbo housing. 10.5cm2 worth it?