Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flash reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash reccomendations

I have an HKS RS intake, Greddy type S BOV (which is gonna go soon) and an HKS hi-power cat back exhaust...what should I do for a flash?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05evo
I have an HKS RS intake, Greddy type S BOV (which is gonna go soon) and an HKS hi-power cat back exhaust...what should I do for a flash?
What do you mean what should you do for a flash? You should get one is all. I'm not sure if there is a crazy namebrand flash to go with your namebrand parts, so you might end up spending less for more this time.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

seems like the mail in dynoflash for 200 bucks is pretty good....but i do know theres some other people out there who flash....i dont know who is better though.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

anybody have a website that I can go to and get this "mail in flash"?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:40 AM

Here you go.

http://www.dynoflash.com/
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

im assuming these are easy to install considering they're mail in. Sorry I know nothing about this stuff.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

you send them your ecu, they flash it and send it back, so if you can take out the ecu, you should be able to reinstall it :-)
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

You remove your ECU and then ship it to Al and he will flash it for you, and ship it back. The whole process should take two days and you should be aware your car will of course not be able to function during the downtime.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

taking out the ecu and reinstalling is easy....i was considering getting the safc but it seems like the flash is a lil bit more hassle free plus they guarantee you at least 20whp...plus there is a dude running like 10s with mods but ecu wise all he has is a flash...no piggy back or standalone...thats raw...plus warranty wise its undetectable i believe....the only thing i would be worried about is overreving since the flash takes out the rev limit...my friend had hondata on his eg and he overrevved and **** his brand new motor up...i personally would maybe like a raised rev but would still want a limiter in there
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

It takes out your rev limiter completely?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zectasy
taking out the ecu and reinstalling is easy....i was considering getting the safc but it seems like the flash is a lil bit more hassle free plus they guarantee you at least 20whp...plus there is a dude running like 10s with mods but ecu wise all he has is a flash...no piggy back or standalone...thats raw...plus warranty wise its undetectable i believe....the only thing i would be worried about is overreving since the flash takes out the rev limit...my friend had hondata on his eg and he overrevved and **** his brand new motor up...i personally would maybe like a raised rev but would still want a limiter in there
The amount of misinformation in this one post is mind-boggling. You should really REALLY do your homework and not post about this stuff that you think you know second-hand (if not third- or fourth-hand).

The only true portion of this post was that taking out the ecu and re-installing it is easy...
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stew
It takes out your rev limiter completely?

NO! Al will set the rev limit to whatever you specify.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

WOW just WOW!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The amount of misinformation in this one post is mind-boggling. You should really REALLY do your homework and not post about this stuff that you think you know second-hand (if not third- or fourth-hand).

The only true portion of this post was that taking out the ecu and re-installing it is easy...
What exactly is "misinformation" about the Gentleman's post ? Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
What exactly is "misinformation" about the Gentleman's post ? Thanks
You have to ask?

1) i was considering getting the safc but it seems like the flash is a lil bit more hassle free plus they guarantee you at least 20whp

This only tells a tiny part of the story and is misleading. A flash is less of a hassle only in that you do nothing yourself, but is more of a hassle in that you have to keep getting reflashed when you add mods, and you have no control over your tuning when in different racing scenarios where you'd want to add race gas, change the boost, run a very safe tune or run a more aggressive tune. It's quite a hassle to either 1) have to wait until you get all your mods, then get flashed once, or 2) get mods slowly over time while having to get reflashed each time. I'm a supporter of flashes in general, and yours specifically, but just blatantly saying it is hassle-free is not accurate. Also, saying "plus they guarantee you at least 20whp" is misleading, too, because it makes it sound like the S-AFC and any other tuning device WON'T give 20whp, when they all will due to the extreme richness of the factory tune.

2) ...plus there is a dude running like 10s with mods but ecu wise all he has is a flash...no piggy back or standalone...thats raw...

Again, just half the story. When a guy is running such a huge setup that is trapping 130mph, hitting 10s is not really a matter of what tuning device is being used. Yes, it's TYPICALLY better to have piggyback or standalone for such a big setup (BR580), but we all know that a custom flash can make plenty of power, but we also know that this is the ONLY one in the 10s so far, so it's not really a selling point for flashes being superior to other tuning devices at that level of modding. It just shows that a flashed car CAN hit 10s without having to do any self-tuning.

We also don't have proof of this 10, but hopefully the controversial individual can back up the claim this week. I think it's far more interesting to the masses if I hit 11s on the stock turbo and stock cams this week with my flash, since the vast majority of people have my mods as opposed to that other guy's mods.

3) plus warranty wise its undetectable i believe.

They are detectable at least on 05s and beyond...

4)...the only thing i would be worried about is overreving since the flash takes out the rev limit...my friend had hondata on his eg and he overrevved and **** his brand new motor up...i personally would maybe like a raised rev but would still want a limiter in there

I'm surprised you didn't jump all over this one. No rev limit? That's a complete fallacy.

Quick Reply: Flash reccomendations