Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flash reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok it seems like im going with jestr's flash and getting a MBC for the upcoming cold winter of NYC.

thanks again for the info guys.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
No if you have get a good custom ecu reflash the weather really shouldn't be a problem, except in the winter when you may run more boost than wanted.

Its a good idea to adjust your mbc when it starts to get colder because the settings used in the summer sometimes produce too much boost in the winter.

The only time you have to any sort of ecu problems related with temp. outside and with the car not tuned correctly would be with the AEM EMS (stand-alone fuel management system). Its a great tool but it takes a good amount of tweaking/learning/adjusting/money and don't feel its the best option for a daily driven evo8.
Cooler denser air in the winter allows for higher boost with less chance of knock. Please keep this thread clear of misinfo. Warm or heated charge air is a leading cause of knock. You can get away with another lb or two of boost.

Again you are spewing unrelated and crap info here. No one is asking anything about AEM. AEM= the best option for daily driven Evo? Please

Steer clear of this thread with your poor info.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:54 AM

The flash should help raise your boost, speed , rev limits over the factory ECU. A s-afc/mbc along with your flash can help you tune in new mods.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zectasy
i love people like you....17 year old kids whos parents bought them their evo and dont work and all they do is sit on the internet all day long and try and criticize people who dont even own evos...lol...cracks me up...
Yeah, I'm 17 and my parents bought me my Evo...

I didn't criticize you that time, but I'd gladly do so if you prefer. You don't have an Evo, yet you're littering this place with basic questions and misinformation without doing your homework first. I stand by my statement that a flash is best for those who don't know what they're doing. It's the truth...you said it youself: it's maintenance-free and hassle-free. In other words, you don't have to do anything except pay for it and be glad that it works...not realizing there is more to gain if you do your own tuning and that it will cost more later when you add more mods. I would spend some time explaining why you should keep the S-AFC from your Tib, but you don't deserve my time at this point. Maybe I'll change my mind later or someone else will help you in my stead.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

to try and stay away from getting yer ecu reflashed for mods or getting a safc i would think the best thing to do is get all the mods you want and get them on and then just get a reflash....cause i know with me im going to do a quite a bit of basic mods and then get a relfash and then just chill for a bit and not mod...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

to try and stay away from getting yer ecu reflashed for mods or getting a safc i would think the best thing to do is get all the mods you want and get them on and then just get a reflash....cause i know with me im going to do a quite a bit of basic mods and then get a relfash and then just chill for a bit and not mod...
If that's how you're gonna do it, then it's a good plan. Most people can't just buy thousands of dollars of mods immediately upon purchasing a new $30k+ car. If you are able to get all of your mods at once, then go get flashed, then you will be a happy man.

If you don't ever add mods again after that, you won't deal with having to pay for a reflash...

If you never plan on racing your car with race gas, then you won't have to worry about having no control over your tuning...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, I'm 17 and my parents bought me my Evo...

I didn't criticize you that time, but I'd gladly do so if you prefer. You don't have an Evo, yet you're littering this place with basic questions and misinformation without doing your homework first. I stand by my statement that a flash is best for those who don't know what they're doing. It's the truth...you said it youself: it's maintenance-free and hassle-free. In other words, you don't have to do anything except pay for it and be glad that it works...not realizing there is more to gain if you do your own tuning and that it will cost more later when you add more mods. I would spend some time explaining why you should keep the S-AFC from your Tib, but you don't deserve my time at this point. Maybe I'll change my mind later or someone else will help you in my stead.
you made it sound like anyone who gets a flash is lazy and isnt knowledgable....some people dont have time to tune their car themself...some people are busy...with me im 21..have a 3month old daughter...run my familys business....in the process of buying rental property...the list goes on...dont act like a ***.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

you made it sound like anyone who gets a flash is lazy and isnt knowledgable....some people dont have time to tune their car themself...some people are busy...with me im 21..have a 3month old daughter...run my familys business....in the process of buying rental property...the list goes on...dont act like a ***.
That's no excuse. You are being lazy. I'm lazy, too, so what? If you have time to spend on here yapping all day and asking stupid questions then arguing with people who actually HAVE Evos, then you have time to do your own tuning. It all comes down to what you're willing to do and not willing to do. I'm too lazy to buy a few things that my car needs, but I admit to it. Your turn to admit that you could learn to do your own tuning, but it's easier to just let someone else do it.

We all have things in life that take up time...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

There are subscription services available where you can reflash for free -mail in flashes in a given period of time as your mods progress. Jestrtuning has this program.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

so I just want to know if I have an 05 the ACD is supposed to make the car better for the winter...the flash isn't going to make my car bad or worse in the snow is it? it sounds like some people are saying that.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05evo
so I just want to know if I have an 05 the ACD is supposed to make the car better for the winter...the flash isn't going to make my car bad or worse in the snow is it? it sounds like some people are saying that.
Say what? Where are people saying that a flash will make your car bad in the snow, and what does that have to do with ACD???
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Say what? Where are people saying that a flash will make your car bad in the snow, and what does that have to do with ACD???
too much power in the snow with the flash man. You will roast your front tires with the ACD in snow mode.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
too much power in the snow with the flash man. You will roast your front tires with the ACD in snow mode.
Haha, ok. But really, a flash is not bad for being in the snow and has nothing to do with the ACD. You can get power many ways other than a flash that would make you more likely to spin in the snow...this is not a flash-only thing.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Cooler denser air in the winter allows for higher boost with less chance of knock. Please keep this thread clear of misinfo. Warm or heated charge air is a leading cause of knock. You can get away with another lb or two of boost.

Again you are spewing unrelated and crap info here. No one is asking anything about AEM. AEM= the best option for daily driven Evo? Please

Steer clear of this thread with your poor info.
I never stated that AEM was the best option for daily driven evo8's, it helps to read carefully. Anyway with my moutains of misinfo I am checking out of this thread.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone reccomend I drive out to connecticut to this dynoflash place and get a custom tune?