Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Project EVO 9 begins..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
All Those Parts and NO CAMS
(guess HKS hasn't figured it out yet)
Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by P_A_STREET_EVO8
i dont see the power gains to be any better then a 8 with the same mods. but hey good luck.
Wow you newbies are killing me!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Wow you newbies are killing me!
Yea seriously, go drive a stock VIII and a stock IX. Big difference from the get go.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

This should be very interesting, I've never heard of an EVO running an aftermarket turbo with out cams. I know the IX is different and I'm not even sure that not having cams will even matter, but I am very interested in the results.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

have fun with that shi**y blow off valve XD
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by edzilla
Well so far, the base IX's have dyno'd roughly 30awhp more than their counterpart, the VIII. Hopefully this one will be one of the top tuned EVO IX's out there when its done.

the majority power increase of the IX over the VIII is largely due to larger turbo, mivec, and maybe better fuel map. since the turbo and ecu will be replace, that makes the mivec system the only difference between the two gen. since mivec only adjust cam timing, not lift or duration, it's possible to set up the evo viii cam timing to match the mivec cam timing at peak hp if you are only looking for peak hp, but the viii will not match the iv in power under the curve due to the mivec ability to adjust cam timing on the fly to maximize power in a wider rpm range.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
This should be very interesting, I've never heard of an EVO running an aftermarket turbo with out cams. I know the IX is different and I'm not even sure that not having cams will even matter, but I am very interested in the results.
People do it all the time and they make very good power.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:10 AM

I was wondering, are there any very effective cams for the mivec system yet? Once tuned, I imagine you guys are looking what, probably 450 or a little more to the wheels? Will you be running race gas, alky? Pump? I imagine that with anything around 420 to the wheels, a matching drivetrain, and some good driving, 10's ought to come easy.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
the majority power increase of the IX over the VIII is largely due to larger turbo, mivec, and maybe better fuel map. since the turbo and ecu will be replace, that makes the mivec system the only difference between the two gen. since mivec only adjust cam timing, not lift or duration, it's possible to set up the evo viii cam timing to match the mivec cam timing at peak hp if you are only looking for peak hp, but the viii will not match the iv in power under the curve due to the mivec ability to adjust cam timing on the fly to maximize power in a wider rpm range.
Agreed. This seems like a poor choice of mods for showing what the IX can do. Why take out the things that make it so much better than the VIII? Essentially, it will just end up showing what the HKS parts can do, not what the IX can do. In fact, that turbo isn't great, and no cams (or cam) are being used, so it looks like this will be a lot of money and time spent to accomplish very little. Replacing the ECU and turbo seems very foolish to me, since they are 2 of the 3 biggest improvements in the IX over the VIII.

If I get the chance, I'd like to show what a regular non-shop Evo IX can do with stock ECU and stock turbo as compared to this HKS-only project car. I'm thinking I could compete quite well...
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crackerballer
I was wondering, are there any very effective cams for the mivec system yet? Once tuned, I imagine you guys are looking what, probably 450 or a little more to the wheels? Will you be running race gas, alky? Pump? I imagine that with anything around 420 to the wheels, a matching drivetrain, and some good driving, 10's ought to come easy.
420 to the wheels and 10s out to come easy? That's nowhere near enough for 10s, Ford man. 450whp would probably be the bare minimum with Curt Brown-like driving.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Agreed. This seems like a poor choice of mods for showing what the IX can do. Why take out the things that make it so much better than the VIII? Essentially, it will just end up showing what the HKS parts can do, not what the IX can do. In fact, that turbo isn't great, and no cams (or cam) are being used, so it looks like this will be a lot of money and time spent to accomplish very little. Replacing the ECU and turbo seems very foolish to me, since they are 2 of the 3 biggest improvements in the IX over the VIII.

If I get the chance, I'd like to show what a regular non-shop Evo IX can do with stock ECU and stock turbo as compared to this HKS-only project car. I'm thinking I could compete quite well...
Thank you I just got done reading through all this and was like who came up with this idea, than I looked up and . I would put my money on Warrtalon and his stock turbo'd 9 with Al on the tuning. The MIVEC is not going to be enough to out do the 8, but will be a good measure of what HKS parts can do.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys should probably post this on socalevo.net. Less haters over there.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 08:58 AM

wow, this will be a sweet project. I can't wait to see how the 9 responds to these mods.

I like the volks you choose, how come they aren't listed on the project list?

Thanks for posting the pics and info.

--
Brian
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer EVO IX
You guys should probably post this on socalevo.net. Less haters over there.
I agree with the hating on HKS parts, but nobody is hating on the 9 itself. It is just a shame that you would get rid of the 2/3 of the biggest improvements, the turbo and ECU. I want to see someone push the stock 9 turbo as far as it will go, than go another route.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam.. its his money let him do what he wants... most of you got HKS parts on your car..

Quick Reply: Project EVO 9 begins..