Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I will give Vishnu a call to see what they can do. Thanks.
RRE is a better choice as they are doing what you want to do right now.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

13.1@117mph

Sorry off topic, but WHAAtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tt
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I will give Vishnu a call to see what they can do. Thanks.
Also, contact GT40 on SoCalEvo.net. He runs a GT30 with a stroker with good results and races often.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I dont really understand what you want to do? HPDE driving, more casual stuff like that? Or actual club racing. If you have the money, I would say the most fun you could have with your Evo would be prepping it for T2 SCCA club racing. Get a competition license, compete in regional events, and try to make it to the runoffs some year. You wont be modding a whole lot, but rather developing strictly your racing skills (saftey stuff, a tune (no extra boost i dont think, shocks, race tires, and a catback are essentially all you can do for a t2 car to my understanding). If you dont do something like that, sure go crazy and mod the crap out of the car and have fun with time trial events or something. But if you are just doing that... I dunno must you spend so much money for modding?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

This is what you need, big sticky tires, RA-1's, RS306's, 711s, good coilovers of your choice, cams, exhaust, boost controller, reflash, and you should be able to dance with the bulk of those cars at least in there stock form.

Scorke
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:13 PM

Cerberus,

If your in the Vegas Area, try to come down to the Evo meets on Thursday at In-n-Out on Sahara... I know a couple of guys who autocross, and one of them has minimal mods on the IX MR and has better times that a Viper and ZO6... it's all about the driver too. Evo is the way to go tho... so try to come down and meet up with the Evo People here in Vegas.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck and enjoy the car whatever you decide to do. Hope to see some of you boys at some HDPE's this year. I'm getting my car out of storage this weekend. I've got Road America next weekend, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't snow.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:16 PM

maybe on a 40sec tight course on a rainning day.

Originally Posted by scorke
This is what you need, big sticky tires, RA-1's, RS306's, 711s, good coilovers of your choice, cams, exhaust, boost controller, reflash, and you should be able to dance with the bulk of those cars at least in there stock form.

Scorke
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewSS
I dont really understand what you want to do? HPDE driving, more casual stuff like that? Or actual club racing. If you have the money, I would say the most fun you could have with your Evo would be prepping it for T2 SCCA club racing. Get a competition license, compete in regional events, and try to make it to the runoffs some year. You wont be modding a whole lot, but rather developing strictly your racing skills (saftey stuff, a tune (no extra boost i dont think, shocks, race tires, and a catback are essentially all you can do for a t2 car to my understanding). If you dont do something like that, sure go crazy and mod the crap out of the car and have fun with time trial events or something. But if you are just doing that... I dunno must you spend so much money for modding?
Andrew,

I am all over the place and don't know what I want at times. I just know I want a more focused car to use on the track. Thanks for the insight.

The T2 racing definitely does sound very appealing.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by EvoIX06
Cerberus,

If your in the Vegas Area, try to come down to the Evo meets on Thursday at In-n-Out on Sahara... I know a couple of guys who autocross, and one of them has minimal mods on the IX MR and has better times that a Viper and ZO6... it's all about the driver too. Evo is the way to go tho... so try to come down and meet up with the Evo People here in Vegas.
EvoIX06,

I have attended a couple of the meets about a year ago. The guys there are very cool. Do all the WRX guys still meet up at the other side of the lot? Sometimes I see the Evo guys come out to the Starbucks rollons as well on Sundays.

I definitely come by again. Take care.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

It really depends on the road course. If it has a lot of straight aways then you will need more mods to keep up, but if it is made up of tight corners then you wouldn't need much. I donno who said the Z06 has a better chassis but that is just wrong, the thing has spring leaf suspensions for christ sake. Thats like medival cart technology. Its handling is unstable and prone to snap over-steer. Go read car and driver's comparo of the z06 and viper if you dont believe me. The evo could at least keep up if not go faster in corners.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Touge, have you ever driven a car with similar mods around a road course with these sorts of cars on track at the same time? because I have.....

Scorke
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Andrew,

I am all over the place and don't know what I want at times. I just know I want a more focused car to use on the track. Thanks for the insight.

The T2 racing definitely does sound very appealing.
It would be quite amazing to do T2, you could still take the car to other driving events, and autox. But no daily driving, cause it will have a cage and with that you would need to wear a helmet, etc. But anyway its worth thinking about if you wanna get into amatuer club racing.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:27 PM

I agree... i went to an autocross event just this sunday, and the course was almost all corner with a couple of slaloms, the evo was eating up the course, while the Vettes and ZO6 was pretty good, but couldn't handle the cornering that the evo is capable of... best of all the evo was doing 5 to 10 seconds better than Vettes and Vipers and this evo had minimal mods, as in TBE, MBC, intake...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

^ you do realize that autox events have cars classed very differently, so that will affect them a lot, then the huge one is its ALL, ALL, ALL!!! about the driver!

Quick Reply: Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?