Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?

Hi guys,

I have been considering getting an Evo for over a year now and have finally decided to pull the trigger. I will more than likely look for an Evo 8 versus a 9, since I will be replacing the turbo among other things and to save some money.

If I plan to change the suspension as well, is there any reason to consider the MR except for the 6-speed tranny and exclusivity? I have heard the 6 speed is not as durable as the already fragile 5 speed unit when modified. Is this true?

Basically, my goal is to build an Evo that can turn faster lap times than a GT3, C6 Z06, Viper and etc. I want to build a giant killer for road course work at autocrosses, HPDEs and possibly in the future real SCCA/NASA racing. I have no interest in drag racing the car, except for the occasional roll on. However, the car must remain comfortable for the street, since it will be used part time on the street and occasionally on the race track.

Here are my questions:

1. What engine mods will I need to reach my goal of 500 whp on 93 octane pump gas?

2. How much will it cost to reach the 500 whp reliably?

3. How reliable is an Evo at this horsepower level?

4. What engine parts should I expect to fail in my quest for 500 whp? I heard the transmission, driveline and clutch are the first to go.

5. How much suspension work will be required to get the Evo to handle on par with a well sorted GT3 with Motons? Is this possible at a reasonable cost with off the shelf components?

6. Are wider wheels advantageous on the Evo?

7. Are the stock Brembos up to snuff for track work?

8. What other mods are recommended or needed to achieve my goal?

I look forward to finally joining the Evo family. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Cerberus; Mar 29, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Go see RoadRaceEngineering.com
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How well can you drive? Instead of throwing parts at the car, try throwing a good driver at it.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by atlvalet
How well can you drive? Instead of throwing parts at the car, try throwing a good driver at it.

Exactly!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I would say I am an intermediate to advanced driver. I have probably attended over 12 HPDE's at the following tracks, Las Vegas Raceway, Sears Point, Spring Mountain and Button Willow. I have also attended the Skip Barber and Russell Racing schools. I am generally grouped in A or B groups depending on the sanctioning body. I have driven relatively powerful cars on these tracks (600 rwhp C5 Z06, stock Z06, modded 996 TT, modded M5 and the slowest being a 2004 NSX).

To answer your question, I think I am a good driver with excellent car control skills.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

You've got some lofty goals. My overall opinion is that modifying an Evo to run faster lap times than a C6 Z06 will cost more than buying a C6 Z06 to begin with (unless you do all the labor yourself). In stock form (with Toyo RA-1’s), my 05 MR can hang with C5 Z06's, but modifying up an Evo to be competitive with the new Vette will lead to some reliability issue. Clearly you realize this already. I think the Evo of your dreams will be so high strung that daily use/driving comfort and long-term reliability are out the window. If you look closely, this makes perfect sense, as getting 500Whp from a 2.0 Turbo is a tall order (certainly not impossible though). In contrast, a 7.0 V8 with standard dry sump lubrication can be set up so you’re not really pushing the tolerances all that much. This gives a large displacement engine the advantage of always running with a high margin of safety. Modify the LS7 to 1000Whp and these same reliability issue crop up. I wish you the best of luck. I'm also with atlvalet, improving your driving skills and you'll be able to better capitalize on the C6 Z06's driver’s mistakes better. When you return to pit lane, the Vette driver will come over and ask, how the hell did you pull that off with that car?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Perfect, i wrote you a whole page reply to you, but something F'ed up and it didn't post.

To sum it up, the answer to most of the questions you asked are personal opinion so you have to find them out for yourself, we can't answer them for you. And some of your questions/statements are very newbish therefore nobody will answer them because it shows you haven't done the neccesary research that you should have. Use the search button to find your answers.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 MR
You've got some lofty goals. My overall opinion is that modifying an Evo to run faster lap times than a C6 Z06 will cost more than buying a C6 Z06 to begin with (unless you do all the labor yourself).
I strongly dissagree. To match the price of a Z06 C6 you would have $30k to put into your car. Not even the 900 awhp evo's have that much invested into them. For right around $10k you could be killing all those cars he listed.

Which brings us to the conclusion that:

$30k + $10k = $40k Evo supercar killer.

C6 Z06 = $60k

Last edited by KOEvo; Mar 29, 2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

That's your right.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

its called AMS 2.3L and 35R Cams and Tein RA setup and a good set of brake pads and reflash.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here, KO. I gave a good response referring to how 500whp is not feasible on pump gas on a turbo that is usable on a road course and how he'd probably want to look into a 2.3l stroker along with a GT35r on alky or race gas. I also said the he probably doesn't want an MR, since he'll upgrade all the good stuff unless he wants to make use of the 6spd. I make great use of my 5th gear in the 6spd, as it is very strong to 130mph, but with as much power as he's going to make, he may want that longer 4th and 5th gear...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
its called AMS 2.3L and 35R Cams and Tein RA setup and a good set of brake pads and reflash.
+1. But as we all know there are many ways to achieve the same goal. This being one of the most popular.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

While I was in Japan, I got to check out the Boss Evo 8 MR (don't have specifics on the exact upgrades, but I'm sure many different levels are available). This is the level I feel would be competitive against the new C6 Z06. When I asked about the tuning costs, the dollar figure I was quoted totaled $40,000US. That price doesn't include the price if the car. For $80K, buy the Vette and save $15K for tires and brakes.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 MR
While I was in Japan, I got to check out the Boss Evo 8 MR (don't have specifics on the exact upgrades, but I'm sure many different levels are available). This is the level I feel would be competitive against the new C6 Z06. When I asked about the tuning costs, the dollar figure I was quoted totaled $40,000US. That price doesn't include the price if the car. For $80K, buy the Vette and save $15K for tires and brakes.
That's odviously a horrible way of going about it then isn't it.

Search for "FQ400" and watch it beat supercars. And that is a car you can buy FROM (In the UK).

Now go around and add up how much a 2.3 stoker + 35r kit + suspension costs. Add in $10k for labor and tuning if you wish.

THAT SURE ISNT $80 GRAND IS IT

Last edited by KOEvo; Mar 29, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm .... good thread. I dont think the evo will require that much to hang with those cars. 450whp will be more than enough. The suspension from the factory is goog, minor upgrades and you will hang with those guys. I would say $20.000 if you do the labor will do.

Quick Reply: Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?