Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[/QUOTE]Originally Posted by scorke
This is what you need, big sticky tires, RA-1's, RS306's, 711s, good coilovers of your choice, cams, exhaust, boost controller, reflash, and you should be able to dance with the bulk of those cars at least in there stock form.

Scorke

Very true... there's no BS in that. I've seen it done and many people out there have.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Seriously contact John Mueller at www.roadracechassis.com Kents been killing race vipers for some time and has set several track records. No body is faster then them at the track right now and its all with a modded evo still stock ecu using a safc. That car isnt making 500whp either.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:33 PM

AndrewSS

Ya i do... but what's crazy is that with all these different classes the evo is still running better times than these other cars... but it sure won't beat a shifter cart... hahahaha
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'd venture that a TRE transmission, a Robispec, Muellerized, or Chronohunter suspension, Autronic or AEM engine management, and an Aim Sports MXL microdash are a good start. Once you've learnt the car's limits, then worry about horsepower and keeping temps down.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 MR
You've got some lofty goals. My overall opinion is that modifying an Evo to run faster lap times than a C6 Z06 will cost more than buying a C6 Z06 to begin with (unless you do all the labor yourself). In stock form (with Toyo RA-1’s), my 05 MR can hang with C5 Z06's, but modifying up an Evo to be competitive with the new Vette will lead to some reliability issue. Clearly you realize this already. I think the Evo of your dreams will be so high strung that daily use/driving comfort and long-term reliability are out the window. If you look closely, this makes perfect sense, as getting 500Whp from a 2.0 Turbo is a tall order (certainly not impossible though). In contrast, a 7.0 V8 with standard dry sump lubrication can be set up so you’re not really pushing the tolerances all that much. This gives a large displacement engine the advantage of always running with a high margin of safety. Modify the LS7 to 1000Whp and these same reliability issue crop up. I wish you the best of luck. I'm also with atlvalet, improving your driving skills and you'll be able to better capitalize on the C6 Z06's driver’s mistakes better. When you return to pit lane, the Vette driver will come over and ask, how the hell did you pull that off with that car?
Ive been running 400whp for alittle longer then 2 years on the stock internals ( a bout 30k miles) what would give you the assumtion that more horsepower would equal reliability issues? my car has never broke down.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:57 PM

I have driven both a mod evo and c5 z06 on track. the evo has quicker turn-in and streeing. other then that. it has nothing on the z06. With the z06, u can control ur yaw angle with gas in mid corner. power oversteer exit corner. u can just control the car more then the evo.
with the evo, u have to fight and get the line. look up any timed event on any track. z06+911 is always at top.
BTW, I am by no mean an great driver. But I do know what I like.

AND I AM NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT THE NEW C6 Z06 which is better in everyway.

For those of u think the z06 cant handle, u gotta lay off the bmi tape.

but dont take my word for it, go and try it out urself. If u can do it. More power to u!

Last edited by touge300; Mar 29, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:09 PM

if u call "Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium front cradle " a medival cart technology

And what is wrong with spring leaf suspensions? explain...

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
It really depends on the road course. If it has a lot of straight aways then you will need more mods to keep up, but if it is made up of tight corners then you wouldn't need much. I donno who said the Z06 has a better chassis but that is just wrong, the thing has spring leaf suspensions for christ sake. Thats like medival cart technology. Its handling is unstable and prone to snap over-steer. Go read car and driver's comparo of the z06 and viper if you dont believe me. The evo could at least keep up if not go faster in corners.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

On track or on an autocross course? We arent talking about the new ones, are we?

Scorke

Last edited by scorke; Mar 29, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:13 PM

let’s just say I been to the track a few times

Originally Posted by scorke
Touge, have you ever driven a car with similar mods around a road course with these sorts of cars on track at the same time? because I have.....

Scorke
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Not to be a dick, but so have I, I instruct, I race SCCA regionally, I have karted competitively at a national level as well, and currently hold a national competiton liscence with the SCCA, so I'm not talking out of my ***...... Have you never gotten to drive your car on the track with a z06 out there, because if you weren't that close to keeping up then maybe you need to keep visiting the track .

Scorke
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I had no trouble last weekend at Road Atlanta with a C6Zo6.

Link: right click save as: http://www.opentrackers.com/modules....p=getit&lid=46

Codec: http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:34 PM

what does this mean?
"Have you never gotten to drive your car on the track with a z06 out there"
it just mean u r a better driver then the z06 driver.

Have u ever driven a ZO6 and a evo back to back? What were ur thought?

If u race in SCCA regionally, u should know which is a better car.
AFTER ALL, they r in a higher class. Do u have links of ur lap times?

If u think the evo is the all mighty z06, 911 killer. Good for u. Just keep the shinny side up.

Gotta leave work, nice talking to u all

Last edited by touge300; Mar 29, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

What course would you like my laptimes from, I can post some results from www.mylaps.com if you are familiar with the amb timing system, would that
do?

http://www.mylaps.com/search/advance...20NJ&subject=6

You can also check out www.scracingteam.com and see that I am Sam Corke, that Miata is mine......unless I'm making this all up and my evom tag scorke has no relation, and I just happen to know all this **** about some random dude...

I have gone from driving in my EVO to riding shotgun in a Z06 literally back to back on the same track on the same day, my thoughts were, damn tq tq tq, wow your car pulls hard above 120, wow my car can actually hold about 10 mph more around the sharper corners than your car, my car can brake much deeper than your car, my car is cheaper and faster, those were pretty much the exact thoughts.

Scorke

I [I]Know[I] my evo is a z06 killer and 911 killer right now, its the C6 Z06's and GT3 Cup cars im working on.....
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I know there was only 2 Z06's sub 1:40's at Road Atlanta, and neither were new. However, there was an Evo .
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

P.S. I see farrrrr more zoh's racing and I know there fast, I know they won T1 this year, I know they are classed quicker than evo's, but at no point during this thread were we compairing mine "stock" evo to these cars stock, rather my modified car, or somebody elses modified car against fairly stock opposition.

Scorke

Quick Reply: Modded Evo 8: What will it take to beat GT3s and C6 Z06s on the race track?