Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do 2005 Evos have EDRs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nez136
only if you crash your car, its not like a cop is going to pull you over for a complaint, plug a cable into your odb2, and write you a ticket for doing 160 2 hours prior!
Not only that, but I'm willing to bet the device only stores the most recent few seconds, maybe a minute of data.

Originally Posted by MaxR
oh hell yeah, if it can come out, its coming out, at least i want to know how to take it out in case of accident. this is legal because everyone has the right to refuse to self incriminate. which means you have the right to keep the blackbox in case it incriminates you. its probably in the ecu maybe? i guess just take that out in case of an accident?
I think that would be tampering with evidence. Doesn't the self incrimination thing only apply to witnesses anyway? For example, if someone went out and got trashed with you, matched you drink for drink, then chased you home at 120mph down some residential streets and watched you run over a kid and somehow they end up not being charged. They have a right (in court) not to incriminate themselves by admitting to being drunk and driving recklessly. But you at the scene do not have a right to refuse a breathtest, sobriety test, or blood test because it might incriminate you.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for a way to rip it out
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are a lot of worthwhile comments about this over on autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/n...k-box-details/

honestly it goes right along the lines of the article on new proposed roof standards.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/21/p...-by-all-sides/

what is truly sad is that so much money is wasted trying to force safety as a standard rather than improve the drivers which makes the roads safer for everyone, not just the vehicle occupents. for example, in the second article it states that only approximately 44 lives would be saved a year by the new roof standards. 44 is nothing. step up your seatbelt campaign and you'll save hundreds more.

the real problem with the whole system, including tickets, is that it is completely PENALTY BASED. there are no rewards for good driving. all of you who signal, who check your blind spots, who drive like you're supposed to, you don't get anything out of it because it's expected. but the rest of the idiots out there who don't obey the way things should be, they get to be the ones to set our traffic and safety standards? that hardly seems right to me.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:55 AM

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

found this googling around a bit..
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knyght4
http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

found this googling around a bit..
Interesting that the Evo is not listed in the ALL vehicles equipped with an EDR
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
time to start setting the top speed in cars to 70mph (the fastest posted speed i know of in the US).
75 in Idaho
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I remember seeing an article about this girl in a Trans Am/Firebird (?) killing two people as they backed out their driveway while dragracing someone (maybe, I'm not sure of the particulars). Anyways, she said her throttle was stuck or some other BS, but her onboard "blackbox" showed she had shifted numerous times and was doing something like 100mph when she hit them. The court ended up using that against her and I believe she went to jail for it!

I'll see if I can find the article and post it if possible.

Found a link to another accident here

Last edited by 4G63; Aug 22, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I will remove it at all costs.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by diamondjaxx1
could mitsu use this against u for any kind of warranties where they look into it and find out youve been beating the **** out of it?
i believe something like this happened to the first batch of e46 m3's with their engine problems...

here's a pretty good thread talkin about this issue (not specifically for Evo's though)

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=415416
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
...But you at the scene do not have a right to refuse a breathtest, sobriety test, or blood test because it might incriminate you.
Actually you do, it's just an automatic suspension of your license. At least it is here.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

...interesting, anybody find it yet?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

If there is such a thing, wouldn't it be in the factory maintenance manual?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Does the Evo have a "black box"?

This may seem like an irrational concern, but I was hoping that someone knowledgeable could answer this question. I'm rather prone to believing conspiracy theories about Big Brother. My younger brother, who used to sell Fords, informed me that, starting in 2007, all Ford vehicles will be equipped with a black box of sorts, which records how/when/where you drive. He cited a recent example of a person who's warranty was voided because his "black box" proved that he had abused the engine and drive train. So, is it possible that newer cars today (including the Evo)have anything whatsoever that is Big Brotherish in them, that is unknown to the owner? My kid brother maintains that there is, and that I could be located anywhere in the world while driving my Evo. Fact or fiction?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:08 PM

If it is then get your car now and nothing beyond 2007 unless its for family hauling. Then again if this box will tell Ford where I have been would that be violating my civil rights to privacy? Could the government use this against people in criminal cases?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:15 PM

My parents are attorneys and they told me that, yes, these things are coming. I'm not sure if they're here quite yet, however.

basically, the precedent was set when we all "consented" to carrying cell phones that already can track our every move.

Quick Reply: Do 2005 Evos have EDRs?