Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Upgraded IC hose Clamps

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded IC hose Clamps

I recently upgraded my Intercooler hose clamps with some consta-tourqe clamps from NAPA,..........,

and I must say, very nice, definatley a noticeable difference. I was able to replace all but one with a lift and by removing the undertray. I couldn't get the 3rd one away from the turbo outlet, but I think it will be allright, I really do not feel like removing the bumper for that. But anyway, all in all about 40 dollar investment, a socket set, about 2-3 casual hours, and a lift. Definately worth it, these clamps are very rugged, and the stock ones are so filmsy next to these it is pathetic. I suggest anyone who believes they could have a boost leak invest in these. NAPA has 3 different sizes, and you will need all 3. You will need 2 or 3, I cant remember, but the small ones that say 250 on them for the underneath to replace directly from the turbo to the IC. Then you wil need 4 or 5 of the ones that say 300 on them for evrywhere else except for up by the manifold, that one is bigger and has 350 on it. I know these sizes because Ive had it on the lift a couple times and been back and forth to NAPA, so get an extra one of the above # of clamps so you will not have to make multiple trips, save your receipt, and you can always return your new unused clamps and get your money back. Its good to have my horsepower back!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

How come you can't take the Clamp on the Turbo outlet off, use a Ratchet. And i am asuming you took the Cover off the bottom of you car and tried this from underneath. I don't Think you have to remove the bumper to get to this clamp.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

i recently changed to t-bolt clamps, and got rid of my boost leak and i wont be blowing pipes off anymore. great purchase and cake to install.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lcakes05
i recently changed to t-bolt clamps, and got rid of my boost leak and i wont be blowing pipes off anymore. great purchase and cake to install.

Yeah thats what I need to do...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

How tight are you guys putting these clamps on? Any torque specs for the bolts that hold the t-bolt clamps?

I bought t-bolt clamps and wasn't sure how much to tighten them down. Are you guys really cranking them down?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 16vEVOIX
How tight are you guys putting these clamps on? Any torque specs for the bolts that hold the t-bolt clamps?

I bought t-bolt clamps and wasn't sure how much to tighten them down. Are you guys really cranking them down?
With a standard size socket wrench, I'd say a good hand-tighten would suffice. I mean, don't put all your weight down on the wrench, but definately make them tight - if they are good quality clamps they won't break, they'll just get tighter
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be aware that a T-bolt clamp has the ability to crush an aluminum pipe.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drifto
Be aware that a T-bolt clamp has the ability to crush an aluminum pipe.
Yeah thats what I'm worried about. For instance on the throttle body clamp all I could use was a 1/4" socket wrench. I kept on trying to tighten and get the clamp to be tight enough to prevent the intake tube from blowing off.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I use these. The OEM clamp is on the right and the heavy duty one is on the left.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm