Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2007 Tuner Shootout Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this is a long way from Arkansas, but when you get a date hammered out I will try my best to work it out so I can come run in the street class. Having checked the Grand Am schedule the May 20th date is at Laguna Seca but they are gonna have to be all the way to Lime Rock by the 28th, other than that I don't believe they will be near CA. Good luck in Grand Am this year Leh always a pleasure catching the races on Speed.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a posibility of Streets for May 12-13th and Spring Mountain Sept 22-23rd. Buttonwillow is out. There are a few more possible dates for spring mountain, but they will conflict with grand am or certain other events. Does anyone have links to the 2007 schedule for other time attacks?

Streets is nice because it is cheaper and closer. Spring mountain is nice because it is a more challenging 3.5 mile course, can fit more people, nice facility, fairly close to vegas, and its somethign different. If we do spring mountain, we need to be sure that a lot of people would be interested in runing there both competitiors and HPDE. If we did it there, we would also try to get together a big national meet going the same weekend in Vegas.

As for classes, maybe we should open up modified more to allow cars like GSCs and AMSs in, but keep the crazy cars to unlimited. Keep in mind the chances of the HKS car appear are still not great, Cyber evo is a possibility, Zeros/Sports car is a better possibilty, and the Cobb carbon STI would be fairly likely.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hey guys. Sounds like a good event is in the works. I'm interested in seeing what your final rules will be. If the GTR is still being used by us at the time, we will be more than happy to attend the event. It is in the works to become one lucky persons street car sometime in 2007.

We just ran the Super Street Time Attack this past Wednesday. We ran a 1:49.2 at buttonwillow. The Cyberevo record is 1:48.9 there so I guess we didn't do too bad seeing we were still on low boost. We are definitely excited to race again soon.

I think as far as the rules go, one way is to keep it a tuner event. Exclude cars raced in a professional series with cash purse prizes. At the last event there was a World Challenge car, Porsche GT cup team, ect. Just an idea.

Troy
Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by troy@xs
I think as far as the rules go, one way is to keep it a tuner event. Exclude cars raced in a professional series with cash purse prizes. At the last event there was a World Challenge car, Porsche GT cup team, ect. Just an idea.

Troy

we could also exclude 800hp+ straight 6's .... anyways, pretty sure this would be an EVO exclusive kinda thing.

as far as rules go, the Redline time attack rules seem fairly reasonable.

Charles, any help you need to make this happen at SMMP, please, please ask me... I am willing to put in alot of effort into this to get the event to SMMP.

I have connections around here.

n

Last edited by nils; Nov 10, 2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:17 PM

For this coming event we are opening the competition up to STIs and GTRs as well.
Aside from that , the faster cars that will be invited are: XS Skyline, Crawford STI (he has two now), ESX/SPT race car, GSC black Evo, AMS black Evo, Robi-Spec black/silver Evo, possible Signal skyline, Zero/Sports STI, RRC Evo, etc.
I was only responding because it seemed like it was open to us and that we were invited. I can understand if you would like to keep it to an EVO only event. Still sounds like a good event. Hope I can make it out even if its just to watch.

Troy
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

my bad... I thought the evom shoot-out was EVO exclusive... I didnt read the whole thread.

well, in that case there defenitely needs to be a class seperation for the straight 6's

n
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Troy,

I actually have you on the list of people to invite. Feel free to join the conversation adn I hope to see you guys there.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Nills,

SMMP is looking very promising right now, but its still in the air a bit. We wanted to open this up to STIs and Skylines since we also run sites for those cars and it makes for a nice trio. I would like to hinder the skyline relative to the other two, but it really doesnt have that much of an advantage if any in some cases. I owned an R33 and if you limit the tire size and turbos, its got nothing on an evo. The only advantage it has is the ability to make more power once you really open it up. Being the XS car is pushing almost every mod you can throw on that car, it would be in the highest class for sure. The Cobb carbon STI also features a turbo six.

Although the redline rules are decent, I dont think they split up the classes we will see enough. The major distinction is tires.

If everyone is comforatble with it, what If we take off the aero restrictions in street, take off some of the restrictions in mod (weight, doors, interior, etc) so that cars like GSC and AMS can compete there, and let ther show boat cars like XS, Cyber, Cobb, and HKS duke it out in unlimited. This is also where world challenge and other full race cars would go, but keep in mind they have some strong limits to meet their classes that they would not change. For example if Igor in the AF GTR or the ESX/SPT STI showed up, they will have far less hp than the other cars competing in unlimited.

I should also add that depending on the demand for this event, we may go to a multiple event setup with an evo only event and an Evo VS. event, so lets make it big.

Also, to whom it may concern, media coverage should be substantial

Last edited by CharlesJ; Nov 10, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:35 PM

my bad... I thought the evom shoot-out was EVO exclusive... I didnt read the whole thread.
No worries!

I actually have you on the list of people to invite.
Sounds good. Please keep me posted on the event and the rules. Like I said, I would like to go even if it's just to watch.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

ok, cool.... just let me know if you want help with other activities in Las Vegas. Vegas is a draw in itself & our nightlife is perfectly suited for the demographics of evo owners (21 plus). Since I live here I can help you with that as well. I also know most of the guys out at SMMP so if oyu have any questions or what not.

The 3.5 mile config is an absolute BLAST to drive, challenging & fast.. perfect for our cars. Lots of parking & guaranteed super nice weather.

The Supra meet has been here succesfully for the past 10 years or so. But I think you guys could pull off a way better/bigger meet than they do.

ofcourse this is all selfishly motivated since SMMP is my home track, ha ha

n
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

may 20th is Laguna. the WEEK before we will be on One Lap, AMS will be running One Lap as well. the week after is Lime Rock in CT.

as of now i know we would run the black GSC Evo and if i can talk Leh into the Mod class in the R34 would give us two.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds like a lot of fun. Looking at the rules you have so far, seems that my car will fit just outside of the street class - which is fine by me. I have a couple of qquestions.

One statement I'd like you to clarify is the "driving experience" part. What experience will be required?

Also, will the cars be running door-to-door or Time Attack? I have very little interest in swapping paint with my personal car...

I have never competed in an event like this and it sounds like a great time. I hope I can get my car prepared and have the time off from work to attend. However; if you are going to require professional road racing experience then I will not be able to compete. The only experience I have is AutoX and 1 HPDE. (along with NUMEROUS runs down the curvy mountain roads in East TN)
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

Can we motion for an east coast shootout as well?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
Can we motion for an east coast shootout as well?
That would be awesome. What about VIR?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

East coast event was this year at CMP. We wanted to switch coasts ever year, but not enough people came to the east coast event to make it a secure event. VIR is great, but it is also expensive. We would have to be sure that enough would come out and that would not be till the following year.

The event is a time trial event with no wheel to wheel competition. However the run groups for TT are adanced with open passing similar to NASA HPDE4/ NASA TT, which means you have to be at that level. You must have experience in adanced run groups in NASA or similar. Otherwise it can be dangerous, especially in practice, to have a driver without that level of experience. For the actual timing portion of the event, the cars will be sent out based on their gridding order (times from practice) and spaced out.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tuner Shootout Discussion