Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Schroth harnesses and roll bar warranty question...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Schroth harnesses and roll bar warranty question...

Okay, I tried calling both my local dealership and Mitsubishi themselves about this matter and haven't gotten a satisfactory response, so I thought I'd see what peoples' experience might be.

I don't want to void my warranty in any way, but after a rather spirited run through the local twisties, I'm considering putting in some Schroth harnesses and a roll bar (NOT just a harness bar, but certainly not a full cage). Is there anyone who has done this and has experience with how dealerships/Mitsubishi treat(s) the warranty after these and only these modifications? I wouldn't expect even Mitsu to restrict my powertrain warranty because of harnesses and a roll bar, but hell, who knows...and I could see them voiding the suspension warranty based on the roll bar increasing stress on suspension components Is there anyone who has actual experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

TTT...anyone have any experience with this whatsoever?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt anybody with a cage is stupid enough to expect mitsubishi to do warranty work on there car, being that it almost postively proves that you were driving it fast.

Also most people with a cage have seriously modified car. My local mitsu dealer built my stroker motor, installed my exedy twin disk and still does warranty work on my car....

Scorke
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 PM

If you have a roll bar they'll probably say that you race or abuse the car and will refuse to warrant any engine problems...It all depends on the dealer though.

I say go for it, because in the end most dealerships are going to try to get out of the warranty work somehow anyways.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
I doubt anybody with a cage is stupid enough to expect mitsubishi to do warranty work on there car, being that it almost postively proves that you were driving it fast.

Also most people with a cage have seriously modified car. My local mitsu dealer built my stroker motor, installed my exedy twin disk and still does warranty work on my car....

Scorke
This:

doesn't exactly constitute a cage. Furthermore, Mitsubishi doesn't void your warranty for driving fast, they void it for participating in sanctioned racing events. Finally, they can't refuse warranty work based on suspicion, they must have some degree of proof, no matter how far-fetched it might be.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nasty n8
If you have a roll bar they'll probably say that you race or abuse the car and will refuse to warrant any engine problems...It all depends on the dealer though.

I say go for it, because in the end most dealerships are going to try to get out of the warranty work somehow anyways.
My dealership has been alright about it. The service manager always told me that it's all cause and effect...the burden of proof is on their end to show that whatever modifications were done caused the failure. If not, it's covered. Unfortunately, the very knowledgeable former manager just left and has been replaced by an incompetent buffoon

I was just wondering if anyone actually has experience with it.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:37 PM

while what you say is true...Mitsubishi dealers can AND will refuse to do warranty work based on suspicions.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nasty n8
while what you say is true...Mitsubishi dealers can AND will refuse to do warranty work based on suspicions.
Really? That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to get something in writing but the Mitsu representative couldn't guarantee me anything...which is what I expected.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Really? That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to get something in writing but the Mitsu representative couldn't guarantee me anything...which is what I expected.
[QUOTE=scorke;4553277]I doubt anybody with a cage is stupid enough to expect mitsubishi to do warranty work on there car, being that it almost postively proves that you were driving it fast.
QUOTE]

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Furthermore, Mitsubishi doesn't void your warranty for driving fast, they void it for participating in sanctioned racing events. Finally, they can't refuse warranty work based on suspicion, they must have some degree of proof, no matter how far-fetched it might be.
Say your sorry....

Scorke
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

depends on the dealer but im willing to bet as soon as you break something in the drivetrain, there going to say well you have a roll bar and harnesses you must be abusing the car blah blah blah.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=scorke;4554024]
Originally Posted by scorke
QUOTE]

Say your sorry....

Scorke
How about you say you're sorry for indirectly calling me stupid? You have absolutely no positive information on this. I'm going off the best resource I have - that being my local dealership - who have informed me several times that they can only refuse warranty work if the modifications can directly be shown to cause the issue. You're going off hearsay and suspicion, and I have plenty of that at my disposal as well.

Oh, and I don't believe anyone is stupid enough to think Mitsubishi would void their warranty for "driving fast."

I'm looking for people who actually have experience with this, not just opinions.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're mostly just going to get hearsay and suspicion. Even if you get someone that has had warranty work with a roll bar in, the dealerships and local mitsu reps are all different. There are dealerships here that will void you for anything and one thats pretty accepting of mods. It's pretty much a crapshoot, ask other local evo owners what dealerships they have had good luck at.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by merkzu
You're mostly just going to get hearsay and suspicion. Even if you get someone that has had warranty work with a roll bar in, the dealerships and local mitsu reps are all different. There are dealerships here that will void you for anything and one thats pretty accepting of mods. It's pretty much a crapshoot, ask other local evo owners what dealerships they have had good luck at.
Thanks for the input. I suppose you're right, it really does boil down to the dealership. Mine has seemed fair overall regarding it all being "cause and effect," but who knows what will happen if/when an issue arises...

I'll ask around in the regional forums. Thanks again.