Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wtf is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im hearing a simular noise and cant figur it out wither... its been doing it for over 3 montsh now.... but my noise is only sometimes when i hit a little bump and im in like 1st idk its wierd still cant find what it is.......
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you record it to help us?
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

does the noise come mostly from the passenger side?

if so, i might be experiencing the same problem. To me, it sounds like an interior part is vibrating, but I can't seem to pinpoint it. It comes in the general area behind or around the glove compartment. It might be my downpipe.

It's definitely not a mechanical problem i.e. clutch, brakes, etc. Well in my case that is.

Is the noise really faint or ver noticeable? does it affect drivability at all?
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it barely clears it, your engine will move on start up and taking off. I bet it is either hitting the oil pan or cross bar. I had to lower my crossbar with a BR hardware kit. Check it out and see if you see marks on your DP.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

yup redline is right, after checking my car on ramps 3 times i couldnt tell it was htiting the top of the oil pan, so i took it to a shop and had it up on the lift, and walla, it was hittin the damn oil pan, and the tcase actually, so i took a hammer and put a small ding in the side that was hiting the t case. and same with the oil pan. try using a torch first to heat it up and then bang on it.
it never affected driveability that i noticed, going uphill i could feel a lil vibration though, and that musta been it hitting the pan. good luck, oh and it was fairly loud, especially when my car tufrned off. if you have a turbo timer when you turn the car off go under the driver side wheel and wait for the car to turn off, that how you can tell if its the exhaust, on shut down you will def hear it rattle or clunk.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:12 PM
R9

its gotta be the burrito you ate the night before
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

only thing i like from mexico is tequila
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:39 PM

Similar situation as my evo ix rs, thank you for your sharing
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by chaz517
yup redline is right, after checking my car on ramps 3 times i couldnt tell it was htiting the top of the oil pan, so i took it to a shop and had it up on the lift, and walla, it was hittin the damn oil pan, and the tcase actually, so i took a hammer and put a small ding in the side that was hiting the t case. and same with the oil pan. try using a torch first to heat it up and then bang on it.
it never affected driveability that i noticed, going uphill i could feel a lil vibration though, and that musta been it hitting the pan. good luck, oh and it was fairly loud, especially when my car tufrned off. if you have a turbo timer when you turn the car off go under the driver side wheel and wait for the car to turn off, that how you can tell if its the exhaust, on shut down you will def hear it rattle or clunk.
Hi Chaz, is it the position that cause the problem ? thx