Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how often do you engine brake?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
how does this work when you get off the highway or go from 1 speed zone to another or heavy traffic that changes speed or you see a stoplight ahead and you don't have to stop but you do slow down.

do you drive an auto or manual?
Well in that case i would slow down in 5th gear, until about 1500 rpms then rev-match to 3rd gear or so for the rest of the cruising. What I'm trying to say is that if your coming down a hill and you know there is a red light ahead. leave the car in gear until drops to 2000rpm then go in the necessary gear to continue travelling or neutral to stop. You don't need to be in the 3500rpm+ powerband at all times when you know you're coming to a stop.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mis4tun81
I just saw this as I was reviewing my previous posts, I'm glad I was able to explain my point so you could understand it.

Maybe I don't understand, what other reason is there for engine braking other than to slow the car down?

Yes as I said living in WNY I have alot of fun on slippery surfaces but it illustrates another reason not to engine brake. If engine braking hard enough to skid on a slippery surface not hard to do, there is no antilock feature to engine braking, so you can put the car into an uncontrollable situation if the wheelspeed is less than the road speed.

Im not sure what ABS would do to recover in that situation, But in a panic stopping situation it would take time and distance fot you to manually recover control, versus just using the brake in the first place.
Engine braking is to slow the car down, but I don't think anyone said it's the fastest way to achieve that goal. It's just another way of doing it that gives you a little bit more brake life and, above all, is enjoyable and practical (heel-and-toe practice). I just thought about it more and realized you were correct.

The ice example wasn't really supposed to apply to real life, it was entirely theoretical. Say you're traveling at 30mph and hit a patch of ice and instantly lose all friction. The wheels would keep turning slowed only by friction of the drivetrain. Engine braking there would slow the wheels down but not the car - nothing could slow the car down other than an impact with another body or some sort of force pulling/pushing it in a different direction.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

ok

Originally Posted by DanJ
Well in that case i would slow down in 5th gear, until about 1500 rpms then rev-match to 3rd gear or so for the rest of the cruising. What I'm trying to say is that if your coming down a hill and you know there is a red light ahead. leave the car in gear until drops to 2000rpm then go in the necessary gear to continue travelling or neutral to stop. You don't need to be in the 3500rpm+ powerband at all times when you know you're coming to a stop.
any time your foots off the gas you're engine braking, the engine is slowing the car. slamming the shifter into 3rd at 70 MPH isn't the only way to engine brake.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love how people keep popping in with the classic, uninformed "engine braking wears out the clutch" comment. I've posted my thoughts much earlier ...

It is an interesting fact about engine braking on low friction surfaces ... that makes a load of sense. Based on that, I say always utilize engine braking unless you are crossing a frozen surface.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:04 PM

LOL i think my car is in neutral more than it is in DRIVE. So true..
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I do it everyday. Its a good way to learn your car. Rev matching....heel toe and it could also make you a better driver in the long run.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:04 PM

I do it everyday, much more fun, and if you get a light-weight flywheel then its easier and even more fun. It will not hurt the engine or drivetrain, if done correctly.

Ive even tried rev-matching some automatics that have tip-tronic style shifting just for the hell of it. For the record, in certain cars it CAN be done if you time it correctly and blip the throttle after you "select" the lower gear, but I would not recommend it. And you will know for sure if the computer doesn't agree with your brake/throttle/downshift plans( the car will buck like a bronco lol). But this is certainly NOT good for any automatic, so i do not recommend it.