Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2004 MY Evo | All Goes in Here. Anything and Everything. [All Threads MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2003, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's certainly true of normal cars - but the ACD/AYC on the EVOs was developed by racers, for racers - in Japan a lot more poeple track their cars than here in the US, so cars like the EVO, STi, GTR, are designed for the track. Plus racers like Best Motoring and some of the British mags say the European EVO VIII is much faster on the track with the new systems. It's also much faster than the US EVO, on the track.
For just about any other car, where these systems are designed to slow you down, not make you faster - you are correct.

Originally posted by wtz
Why do some of you guys persist in thinking that people who race would want ACD/AYC? Electronic driver aids frighten most racers because they induce handling behavior that is often unpredictable or just plain slower. These systems also require constant maintenance, are unreliable and add weight. In a stock car, I don't know one racer who would'nt turn these systems off before trying to put in a hot lap. Enough of this BS.
Cheers,
Old Apr 27, 2003, 06:56 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Has Mitsubishi ever changed the trim or performance appointments in the Evo and not changed the number designation? I don't think they have.

If that is true, I wouldn't expect any changes to the car at all until the Evo IX appears....

SC
You have to remember that we in the US do not have a number designation just plain EVO. The rest of the world got the EVO VIII. can add what ever they want and not upset their numbering convention.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 07:10 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

New Lancer Sportback Wagon coming in 2004. Too bad no EVO version.

The Sportback’s new Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control (MIVEC) 2.4-liter engine will elicit 160 hp, or 162 hp in a factory-tuner Ralliart version, with its varying intake valves and alloy heads.

Ralliart Lancer also has new spoiler without center upright. Should be direct bolt-on replacement for EVO owners who desire a low spoiler option.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 07:11 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

You have to remember that we in the US do not have a number designation just plain EVO. The rest of the world got the EVO VIII. can add what ever they want and not upset their numbering convention.
Have you checked out your window sticker lately? It says Lancer Evolution VIII right on it. It just that there aren't any badges on the car designating it as an VIII. The Japanese Evo VIII is the same way. As for the UK version, I've seen it 2 ways: Lancer in the lower left with the Evolutuion VIII in the center of the trunklid or in the same manner as the Japanese Evo.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 07:35 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX

Have you checked out your window sticker lately? It says Lancer Evolution VIII right on it. It just that there aren't any badges on the car designating it as an VIII. The Japanese Evo VIII is the same way. As for the UK version, I've seen it 2 ways: Lancer in the lower left with the Evolutuion VIII in the center of the trunklid or in the same manner as the Japanese Evo.
You are correct. Furthermore, the owner's manualsand floor mats are also marked EVO VIII.

MMC Japan website calls theirs the EVO VIII and posts the following notes:

* Specification and names are for the Japanese domestic market.
* Some of the vehicles shown here are exported worldwide, with specifications and fittings matched to the local market. Those specifications and fittings that are not shown here.
* For vehicles available and their specifications for your market, please visit your local Mitsubishi distributor website.

Following corporate guidance, I went to the US local mitsubishi distributor website and guess what? No EVO VIII. MMNA's local market name is specified as Lancer Evolution.

Case closed.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 09:32 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jfh
new Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control (MIVEC) 2.4-liter engine will elicit 160 hp, or 162 hp in a factory-tuner Ralliart version, with its varying intake valves and alloy heads.
I dont' understand. Didn't the normally asperated 4G63 in the galent a long time ago have 160hp. I mean now it's 2.4L Variable valvetrain and only 160hp? Other variable valvetrain cars with 1.6L like the civic SI has just as much HP. Why so low on power for 2.4L? I dont' care how variable, a 2.4L with 160hp is a joke. I'm not impressed sorry
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:36 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

You are correct. Furthermore, the owner's manualsand floor mats are also marked EVO VIII.

MMC Japan website calls theirs the EVO VIII and posts the following notes:

* Specification and names are for the Japanese domestic market.
* Some of the vehicles shown here are exported worldwide, with specifications and fittings matched to the local market. Those specifications and fittings that are not shown here.
* For vehicles available and their specifications for your market, please visit your local Mitsubishi distributor website.

Following corporate guidance, I went to the US local mitsubishi distributor website and guess what? No EVO VIII. MMNA's local market name is specified as Lancer Evolution.

Case closed.
What case?

Japan calls theirs the VIII but it still doesn't say it anywhere on the car (other than floor mats, etc.)

If you look a little closer on the US website, you'll find the Lancer Evolution Microsite. In it the Evo is referred to as both the Lancer Evolution and the Lancer Evolution VIII.

So the point is that you can call it whatever you want. It's an Evo VIII or just an Evo.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by gtr

I dont' understand. Didn't the normally asperated 4G63 in the galent a long time ago have 160hp. I mean now it's 2.4L Variable valvetrain and only 160hp? Other variable valvetrain cars with 1.6L like the civic SI has just as much HP. Why so low on power for 2.4L? I dont' care how variable, a 2.4L with 160hp is a joke. I'm not impressed sorry
For NA cars, in order to increase the Torque at low RPM
(for example, 163/4000 RPM peak for a 165hp car) , they have to design the egine that way.
I know this because Subaru 2.5RS is the same way
Ford Mustang GT has a large engine, but the HP isn't that high, maybe it's designed the same way too, but I don't know for sure.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

VVT

Originally posted by gtr

The '94 Galant GS had a 4G64 DOHC that made 160hp, no VVT though.
The new Honda 2.4l in the Accord "only" makes 160hp too. The 2.5l in the Altima makes 175hp... The 1.6l MIVEC in the Mirage Cyborg would never have made it past emissions and you would have needed 100 octane fuel...
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:58 PM

Does anybody have any links to MIVEC info sites? All I can find is a couple paragraphs on the Corporate Web Site, as well as some of the different applications and displacements. Seeing as though I live here in the US, I don't know much about it and I'm trying to read up on it.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
There is no real reasion for to change the car. Maybe like some said should offer upgrade parts, becuase dont want to **** their current EvoVIII owners off. Also according to Motor Trend and Car and Driver there is no need, the EVO is really under rated from what I've read. Unless you have some amazing connections I dont see it coming. Go read my thread with my Magazine scans.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=21790

Old Jun 4, 2003, 09:26 AM

Any changes for the 2004 Evo?

I know the 2003 Evo just arrived in January/February but does anyone know what is planned for the 2004 which I assume will be out in September/October.

Perhaps side air bags, more power, etc.

TIA.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

If they follow the typical Mitsu pattern there will be few or minor cosmetic changes for 2 or 3 years followed by a redesign in 3 to 5 years. I'm not sur ethe EVO will follow that pattern. I'm not familiar with the non-american-market EVO's and what their history of change has been. Maybe someone who is can fill us in on the rate they have changed and how.

I'm thinking as far as more power they are probably close to the limit of how much they are comfortable selling a higher boosted 2.0 liter turbo but that's just an opinion.

I would guess/hope they'd address some of what people are mentioning (i.e. lack of cruise control, better gauges, better interior...). I guess we'll see but I'd say we won't see much different in 2004.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

2004 model when?

Sorry if this has been posted already (my search didn't turn up anything), but I'm looking for thoughts on when the 2004 model is going to be released. I would assume August/September, but I don't really follow Mitsubishi, so I'm looking for a more -specific answer (i.e. do they tend to release at the same general time as everyone else, or ???). Or better yet, someone that actually has a firm date from Mitsubishi.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

The top of the Evo brochure says something to the effect that "THe Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is a special car that is not on the usual model year."

So who knows. Anyone who gives you a date is merely guessing....

SC~

Quick Reply: 2004 MY Evo | All Goes in Here. Anything and Everything. [All Threads MERGED]